Old July 26th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default WIFI Interferance

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:48:06 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

"Wolfgang Fartbubble" wrote in message
k...
Hi all, can you help me on this problem please?
My friend who lives not to far off from me has his PC`s wired up to the
Internet via wireless, this includes mouse, keyboard, and of course
Internet.
The neighbour who lives next door has a 14 element Yagi 2 mtr beam on his
roof alongside other antenna.
Since this has been put up every time it is switched on and operated (I
would think) it knocks out the wireless Internet and mouse and keyboard.
And also the telephones that are also wireless. (I think they are the
digital type)
Is there any thing that can be done?
He has approached the neighbour but he wont have any of it and simply
will not listen.
This has only happend since all the equipment has been installed on the
roof.

Assuming the licensed amateur station has been installed with all
applicable measures taken to reduce RFI, then there is not a whole lot of
recourse for the guy with all the unlicensed wireless stuff other than to
buy wireless stuff that has better filtering.

As you say, if the amateur station is properly installed the wireless
system is stuck. Most of the *stuff* available for home use is pretty
poor when it comes to filtering. Just think what it'd be if they have
some one operating on 2.4 Gig next door.

As a side note, a friend who uses wireless also put in some web cams
along with his wireless phones. Everything interfered with everything
else. He finally put in 5 gig phones and relocated the web cams. He
runs the legal limit on most of the ham bands and has no interference
in either direction. I have a dual, Cat5e gigabit and wireless
router. When used with wireless its antenna is about 4 feet from my
2-meter rig. I can use my 5W HT within a few feet of that antenna and
neither system hears the other.

more than likely some one in his neighborhood has an old TV antenna
preamp up in the attic that is picking up the 2-meter signal and
creating a bunch of harmonics, but that is a *LONG* way above the
2-meter band.

Can't speak to the WiFi issue at all.. but it's notable that most wireless

2.4 and 5 Gig which are also ham bands.

keyboard/mouse setups operate on 11m R/C control channels (ours uses 27.045

My wireless keyboards and mice are all IR.

MHz). I've seen rare ones that operate on 900MHz, and are very susceptible
to cordless phone interference.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com