Old August 20th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Creating vanity callsign with personal name..

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to amateur radio, and I was wondering what folks think of
creating a vanity callsign based on one's personal name? I've only had
my callsign for a week, and it's really not grabbing me. The letter
combination isn't easy to say, and quite honestly I don't care for it.
I've decided to do a vanity callsign, but I was wondering if some look
at it as vain or dumb to use one's name within the vanity callsign.
For example what about someone named John using KW3JON or Tom K3TOM?

Just curious what folks think of such callsigns. I'm working on
getting my license upgraded, and if/when i make it to Expert I might
change to a 1x2 callsign (isn't that an option?). But for now I just
need something I'm familiar with.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this ..

Alex

Old August 20th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Well, my two passions are flying and ham radio or electronics in general;
I've got a company called RST Engineering after the old CW method of signal
reporting (Readability, Strength, and Tone). THe call sign here is WX6RST
(WX is the aviation abbreviation for weather and RST are the above mentioned
CW abbrvtns).

The airplane registration number is N 73 CQ.

The Mazda license is KB9MII (the wife's call) and the Subaru license is
WX6RST.

You can do anything you damned well please. And it is Extra, not Expert.

Post your current "non-grab" call sign and I'll bet we can come up with some
Philthy Phonetics for it that you might even like {;-)

Jim

ups.com...

vanity callsigns Slow Code General 2 March 14th 06 04:11 PM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM
Rare Books on Radio and Electronics Hania Lux Shortwave 0 October 18th 03 12:13 AM