Old October 10th 06, 09:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default How detect if MP3 player is recording in your room? [OT]

writes:
Is there some transmission which could be detected?
Perhaps some low power ultra high frequency from chip refresh cycles?

not sure if you could find it with a metal detector, but probably

You'd still have to worry about mind reading satellites.
Old October 10th 06, 10:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Dan Dan is offline

Picking up any signal is out of question. However, if you are a
paranoid suspecting someone is out to get you by recording, try this
one:
When she gets in your room/office, sing some line of song, like,
"Hellooo, is it me you're looking for? I can see in your eyes..." etc.
Stop kind of suddenly, look at her in the eye, and say, "If someone
recorded that song wouldn't it play back real nice?" She'll know you'd
caught her at her game and would blush or tremble or something.

Joey wrote:
Suppose someone visited your office or home and tried to make a voice
recording using a hidden recorder.

If they used a older-style dictation machine based on tape then you
could detect the electromagnetic transmissions from the dictation
machine when it was recording.

But how would you detect if someone was secretly recording with an MP3
player that recorded to flash memory?

Old October 10th 06, 02:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

"Joey" wrote in message
Suppose someone visited your office or home and tried to make a voice
recording using a hidden recorder.

If they used a older-style dictation machine based on tape then you
could detect the electromagnetic transmissions from the dictation
machine when it was recording.

But how would you detect if someone was secretly recording with an MP3
player that recorded to flash memory?

Is there some transmission which could be detected?
Perhaps some low power ultra high frequency from chip refresh cycles?

What is done is to generate a pattern of sound, only
part of which is audible, and then detect the low level
IF and RF that any sound equipment emits. Then follow
the signal detected to its source.

Luck;
Ken

Old October 10th 06, 03:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 09 Oct 2006, kony wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:23:22 +0100, Joey
wrote:

Suppose someone visited your office or home and tried to make a
voice recording using a hidden recorder.

Ok, why do you care?
Don't have sensitive conversations with anyone you can't
trust, if you're going to be saying anything that shouldn't
be recorded.

I say things in my conversation which i do not want to be broadcast in
the public media.

If they used a older-style dictation machine based on tape then you
could detect the electromagnetic transmissions from the dictation
machine when it was recording.

Doubtful, and not worth the bother when you could just scan
them or search them physically.

You say, "search them physically"? I have to tell you that I don;'t
work in the sort of environment where that kind of behaviour is
considered acceptable!

But how would you detect if someone was secretly recording with an
MP3 player that recorded to flash memory?

Scan them or search them.
What makes you think you should detect it?
Don't they have a right to a recording of any conversation
they're participating in?

They have the right to record themselves. I have the right not to have
my words broadcast. Unfortunately obtaining redress can be expensive.
So prevention is beter than cure.

Is there some transmission which could be detected?

Do you mean "wild hypothetical way that some future
technology or extremely expensive equipment and controlled
environment could detect", or do you mean, practically
speaking?

The latter. I am talking practicalitites ere.

Perhaps some low power ultra high frequency from chip refresh
cycles?

... and you're discriminate this from everything else, all
other HF noise, how? Get a baseline maybe, but noise is
random unless a controlled environment.

If necessary I could have my PC turned off and my phone put further
away. But is there any leakage from solid MP3 recorders?

You just need to have everyone strip down nude and then do
body cavity searches, X-Rays, exploratory surgery, then
never let them leave so it doesn't really matter if anything
was recorded so long as the environment has sufficient RF
shielding.

Old October 10th 06, 03:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 10 Oct 2006, Slow Code wrote:

Joey wrote in
:

Suppose someone visited your office or home and tried to make a
voice recording using a hidden recorder.

If they used a older-style dictation machine based on tape then
you could detect the electromagnetic transmissions from the
dictation machine when it was recording.

But how would you detect if someone was secretly recording with an
MP3 player that recorded to flash memory?

Is there some transmission which could be detected?
Perhaps some low power ultra high frequency from chip refresh
cycles?

There probably is a little electro magnetic energy leaving the
device, but what frequency would you try to find it on? Other
electronic things such as computers, printers, etc in the office
most likely emit far more RF noise than the MP3 device. It would be
hard to find it. Eventually, the power would run down and the
thing would stop recording. Someone would have to come by again
and pick up the recorder. So your best bet is to be on the lookout
for any suspicious recorder placement and pick up activity.

Or just buy as stereo for your office and play it real loud all the
time.

Maybe belch and fart a lot too.

SC

The situation I describe is where the MP3 plater/recorder is carried
by the person.

Old October 10th 06, 03:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 10 Oct 2006, atec77 ""atec77 \"@ hotmail.com" wrote:

Joey wrote:
Suppose someone visited your office or home and tried to make a
voice recording using a hidden recorder.

If they used a older-style dictation machine based on tape then
you could detect the electromagnetic transmissions from the
dictation machine when it was recording.

But how would you detect if someone was secretly recording with an
MP3 player that recorded to flash memory?

Is there some transmission which could be detected?
Perhaps some low power ultra high frequency from chip refresh
cycles?

3 AM with the right equipment it would be findable , now are you
serious or just another one of "them"?

Nope, I am not one of "them". This is very much for real.

What is "3 AM".
Old October 10th 06, 03:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 10 Oct 2006, Ken Maltby wrote:

What is done is to generate a pattern of sound, only
part of which is audible, and then detect the low level
IF and RF that any sound equipment emits. Then follow
the signal detected to its source.

Luck;
Ken

Generate a pattern of sound part of which is inaudible?

IF and RF?
Old October 10th 06, 06:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Aly Aly is offline

Joey wrote in message
Suppose someone visited your office or home and tried to make a voice
recording using a hidden recorder.

Your only real option is to hold your meetings in the middle of field, and
for everyone to be naked.

Aside from that, unless you work for MI5 or have alot of money then the
above would be far easier. If it was that important you wouldn't be asking
the question here.

Old October 10th 06, 07:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Joey wrote
kony wrote
Joey wrote

Suppose someone visited your office or home and
tried to make a voice recording using a hidden recorder.

Ok, why do you care?
Don't have sensitive conversations with anyone you can't trust,
if you're going to be saying anything that shouldn't be recorded.

I say things in my conversation which i do not
want to be broadcast in the public media.

Then you have a problem for which there
is no solution given the other detail below.

If they used a older-style dictation machine based on tape
then you could detect the electromagnetic transmissions
from the dictation machine when it was recording.

Doubtful, and not worth the bother when you
could just scan them or search them physically.

You say, "search them physically"? I have to tell you
that I don't work in the sort of environment where
that kind of behaviour is considered acceptable!

Then you have a problem.

But how would you detect if someone was secretly recording
with an MP3 player that recorded to flash memory?

Scan them or search them.
What makes you think you should detect it?
Don't they have a right to a recording of
any conversation they're participating in?

They have the right to record themselves. I have the right
not to have my words broadcast. Unfortunately obtaining
redress can be expensive. So prevention is beter than cure.

Sure, but it just isnt practical.

Is there some transmission which could be detected?

Do you mean "wild hypothetical way that some future technology
or extremely expensive equipment and controlled environment
could detect", or do you mean, practically speaking?

The latter. I am talking practicalitites ere.

The short story is that it isnt practical to do what you want to do.

Perhaps some low power ultra high frequency from chip refresh cycles?

... and you're discriminate this from everything else,
all other HF noise, how? Get a baseline maybe,
but noise is random unless a controlled environment.

If necessary I could have my PC turned off and my phone put further away.

Wouldnt be enough given the minimal leakage from a
decently designed solid state MP3 recorder. In spades
with one that has been designed to be undetectable.

But is there any leakage from solid MP3 recorders?

Corse there is, but the level will be so low that you wont be able
to find it with all the other stuff around that is radiating, even if
you turn off everything in your house when a visitor shows up.

Old October 10th 06, 07:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:51:51 +0100, Joey
wrote:

If necessary I could have my PC turned off and my phone put further
away. But is there any leakage from solid MP3 recorders?

I'm sure there is a tiny bit, but it cannot be much from
such a small device operating off very low voltage and the
frequency is an unknown variable. it goes back to the idea
about a controlled environment and very expensive equipment,
that you'll probably have more background noise than what's
coming from the recorder, to find it would entail what
amounts to an active search.