Old August 14th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.pirate,alt.paranormal,alt.folklore.ghost-stories

Default Recording the back of my scanner ... weird voices

I turned my scanner onto a particular "dead" frequency (actually, it
doesn't matter which frequency - every one I tried produced the same
results) and of course heard nothing but static (and of course the
squelch was 1 or 2 because anything higher would mute out the sound).

I then plugged my IC recorder (digital voice recorder) into the back of
the scanner and pressed record. I uploaded the recording to my computer
with Adobe Audition and amplified the sound, and could hear human
voices (this was confirmed by various witnesses) saying things that
would have me in doubt that I was picking up a stray broadcast. Words
were used like "ghosts", "spirit", the "n" word, along with meaningless
dribble and weird animal sounds. This was in the same back bedroom
where I set up my RF signal generator, scanner, and other recording
equipment to mimic the 70s Spiricom "Mark IV" experiment.

My question is this: can a digital recorder pick up voices through a
frequency if plugged into the back of the scanner (of human origin)
that cannot be heard through the scanner's speaker? The same recording
was done of the room with the white noise of the dead frequency in the
background and entirely different results were produced, with the
voices sounding less monotone and more like others were in the room
talking.

Of course, it doesn't help that I was doing paranormal research using
the digital recorder at a desolated black cemetery in town here and
abruptly stopped to focus on 2-way communication as opposed to EVPs.

Any way to easily explain away the voices that show up on the recording
of the static/frequency but not the static/frequency itself when
listened to in real-time?

Old August 14th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.pirate,alt.paranormal,alt.folklore.ghost-stories

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If this is not an attempt at trolling.........

All that's happening is a simple case of "Rectification". You are hearing
one or more AM broadcast stations. This is nothing new.
Unless of course you really WANT to believe this is something it's not.....

Old August 14th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I once heard someone on c to c (the coast to coast KOOK show) say they
put a new cassette tape in a cassette recorder and with no body in the
room or nearby and no radio or tv turned on,he picked up some human
voices on his tape recorder.Of course I dont believe that hogwash.
cuhulin

Old August 14th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

But when I get down,I can't get back up.Some KOOKS on c to c say they
have photographed ghost with their cameras.Such Hogwash!
cuhulin

Old August 15th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.pirate,alt.paranormal,alt.folklore.ghost-stories

Rastis P. Buttsnort wrote:

All that's happening is a simple case of "Rectification". You are hearing
one or more AM broadcast stations. This is nothing new.
Unless of course you really WANT to believe this is something it's not.....

If this was rectification of AM stations, then why:

- No music, advertising, or anything else shows up, but yet
- Sometimes clear voices are heard saying vulgar words which would
never be allowed on any AM station, and
- Sometimes prophetic statements are made using my own name and the
name of other witnesses present or deeply involved in the experiments,
and
- In one instance I heard what sounded like several loud chickens
bocking at such a large volume it would've surely been heard at room
volume (incidently, these loud "animal-like" sounds always appear
toward the end of the recording, shortly before I hit "stop" - but yet
there is no interference with the audio plug or movement by myself
before stopping the recording, yet they are often a hallmark of the
brief mostly 30-second recordings I do)?

To one extreme I heard a death threat used against one of my
co-workers. To the other I heard statements like "you did not work
today" (which I hadn't) and "no mouse pad" (which I use none).

Overall, if you count the digital recordings from the cemetery (where
no white noise was present except for the internal components of the
rather silent recorder), the house, and plugged directly into the back
of the scanner, I've stored thousands of unexplained voices - and it
would've been impossible for the scanner to pick up AM stations in the
cemetery (and along with the fact that most all the voices sounded had
thick country accents and sounded African-American in nature with poor
grammar, I find the odds of this being rectification far-fetched).

A group of friends and I were so intrigued with some of the voices from
the cemetery, we made a CD which had some of our best recordings and
submitted it at work and to other people with a brief survey for the
listener to circle either AGREE, DISAGREE, or UNDECIDED as to whether
they heard the same voice and believed it was saying the same thing as
we did. And of course, several EVPs (electronic voice phenomenon) had
an agreement rate of over 95% of nearly 30 people.

I am not debating the existence of EVPs using a recorder and a source
of white noise, TV static, etc., for the conduit. I am asking you for a
plausible explanation that would explain voices saying your name,
sometimes vulgar words, etc., with such clarity that witnesses all
agree on what is being said but have no explanation as to how or why
they are showing up on a recording of of a frequency with nothing
audible on it when not recording.

And one last thought... how could such clear voices and sounds
(sometimes very loud in nature but yet inaudible while not being
recorded) be showing up on *any* frequency with a squelch level of only
1 or 2? I thought perhaps the audio cable to the recorder acted like
some sort of antenna but in reality it's not even hooked into the
external antenna jack.

Anyway, I'd rather at times believe there *are no* spirits that
followed me back, which is why I'm trying one last time to come to a
plausible conclusion which would explain away the voices which have
been picked up on tape, recorded, and catalogued for the record.

Thank you for helping to solve this mystery...

Jeff

Old August 15th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.paranormal,alt.folklore.ghost-stories

wrote:
I once heard someone on c to c (the coast to coast KOOK show) say they
put a new cassette tape in a cassette recorder and with no body in the
room or nearby and no radio or tv turned on,he picked up some human
voices on his tape recorder.Of course I dont believe that hogwash.
cuhulin

EVP experiments have been quite substantiated in laboratory settings.
Before dismissing something as "hogwash" why don't you try for
yourself? Simply make a 30-second recording with preferably a digital
recorder (that way you don't try to explain away the voices by thinking
the cassette tape was previously recorded on or the magnetic silica
that make up the tape are somehow picking up stray radio broadcasts)
and ask some simple questions.

It's best to do it with a small bit of white noise in the background -
if you're worried about rectification from your scanner or radio, try a
TV station full of static with the antenna unplugged, or a ceiling fan,
etc. Then upload the recording and amplify the sound a little
(amplification in no way alters the recording, only makes the voices
easier to decipher).

We've picked up so many EVPs that EVP itself is now boring and a
dead-end of sorts. Hence the need to set up apparatus for 2-way radio
communication using tones being sent to various frequencies (the
original Spiricom experment used 29.570 MHz), then waiting for days,
months, or even years until you get that first contact. It's more about
patience than believing, because once you do pick up the voices, you
will certainly question the reality you live in.

Jeff

PS The Panasonic RR-DR60 recorder was yanked from the market because of
consumer complaints about unexplained voices showing up during business
meetings, etc. It became the Holy Grail of EVP recorders, and recently
had a bid of $1100 for a used recorder on eBay.

It retailed for $40.

Old August 15th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.radio.pirate,alt.paranormal,alt.folklore.ghost-stories

wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

Some have said it's Rectification, but what I think you are really
experiencing is something known as Rectum-ification.

Rectumification is thinking you can hear something when you have your head
up your ass.

Now, go tell your friends at alt.fan.art.bell the good news.

Happy to Help.

Sc

Old August 15th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Jim is offline

this is known as E.V.P. or electronic voice phenomena. it is reputed to
be the voices of dead people, or spirits, or devils, depending on who
tells the story. personally i believe that it is a combination of
imagination and the millions of spoken words hanging in the air on radio
at any given moment. there is a variation if you want to get really
freaked out, set a tv on a blank station with no signal. listen to the
hiss and you will hear the same kind of words and bits........but sit
close and watch the sparkles on the screen and you will see faces and
images zoom out of the static! its quite disturbing! i think that the
explanation is this, your brain is constantly comparing every visual
stimuli with its gallery of known objects. this is how you recognise
peoples faces or different objects. the sparkles on the screen have
every pixel flashing and your brain is trying to make recognizable
patterns. when a pattern is detected the memory of the object rises up
to be considered. by this time the random sparkles have changed, thus
the object or face rises to your mind then evaporates as another pattern
is struggling to be resolved. in your minds eye the face has zoomed up
out of the static and then zoomed away. the audio seems to be the same
thing, words resolve out of the hiss and then are lost forever. the best
part is psychological, you seem to recognise the word or picture but
since it has gone away now you cant prove that it was never there to
begin with! soon you are on the art bell show with a great story that
you really do believe and nobody can disprove! great fun!