Old October 22nd 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default DXing with (A)DSL (broadband) internet conexion

Does anyone using DSL/broadband noticed any problems from QRN
while DXing ?

I am thinking to upgrade my connection into ADSL 768/124
Old October 22nd 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.misc

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
"Zach Liang" wrote in message
Does anyone using DSL/broadband noticed any problems from QRN
while DXing ?

I am thinking to upgrade my connection into ADSL 768/124

DSL modems are notoriously noisy in the HF spectrum. Ditto for any 10/100
networking.

Noise from such sources is QRM (man-made), not QRN (natural, i.e.
lightning or solar)

QRM: Interference
QRN: Noise (no distinction if man-made or not)

Old October 22nd 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Brenda Ann wrote:
Does anyone using DSL/broadband noticed any problems from QRN
while DXing ?

DSL modems are notoriously noisy in the HF spectrum. Ditto for any 10/100
networking.

I have a 10/100 LAN in my home and no interference problems. I know
plenty of other hams who've done likewise. Indeed, many of the big
multioperator contest stations use Ethernet LANs to connect the various
operating positions.

A very successful station here in the Nashville area has a DSL modem *in
his shack* and no problems. (wish he could say the same for his
electric power utility!)

I'm sure noisy networking equipment does exist but I wouldn't say it's a
common problem.

Noise from such sources is QRM (man-made), not QRN (natural, i.e. lightning
or solar)

At least while I was coming up in ham radio:

QRM - interference from another radio transmitter
QRN - interference from something that isn't intended to transmit radio
signals

These days the difference gets blurred a bit; if a piece of computer
gear radiates a strong signal on 14.31818MHz, it's likely to *sound*
like QRM, but since the gear isn't intended to transmit radio signals,
is it actually QRN?

Does it really matter?

--
Doug Smith W9WI