Old July 1st 03, 11:25 AM
Wilf Kelly

Default Bush, Inc. Bitch-Slap Threesome

A BushCo Pimp-Slap Threesome
Is the latest trio of Bush policy atrocities enough to make you scream, or
just cry?
By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist
Friday, June 27, 2003
=A92003 SF Gate

l=3Df
ix

Onward they come like some sort of vicious and sad joke, some sort of
maniacal stabbings at the very core of joy and intelligence and progress
and
hot sex and easy laughter, the regular grisly onslaught of BushCo policy
insults, with you just sort of sitting there saying, no, no way, this can't=

really be happening, can it?

Oh my yes. Let us now scan the latest salvos, the most current round of
BushCo karmic bitch slaps, three little tales of environmental and economic=

and sex-ed woe to make the toes of your id curl and your soul recoil.

And let's kick it all off with the big bad and blatantly abridged
Environmental Protection Agency report on the environment, shall we?

Did you notice that story? About that major new report on the state of the
world environment, air quality and water quality and greenhouse gases and
all the rest, as scribed by Christine Todd Whitman's increasingly impotent
EPA, right before she found out her decidedly pro-corporate GOP-licking
kowtowing skills were somewhat at odds with the utter knavelike skills
BushCo required, and she quit?

A very serious and comprehensive report it is, too. And, until recently, it=

included a major section on climate change, on greenhouse gases and ozone
depletion and the now widely accepted perils of global warming, the dire
effects now taking place, and worsening, and what we can expect if we
continue on our current, dangerous trajectory.

And wouldn't you know it, BushCo stepped right in there and hacked that
section down to virtually nothing just prior to publication. Just snipped
the dire climate-change info right out lest anyone be reminded of the
utterly contemptible anti-environmental, pro-industry slant of the Bush
regime.

Can't make it too obvious how much Dubya supports major polluters and
industry self-regulation, or how he gutted the Clean Air Act, now, can you?=

It's so cute it almost makes you retch.

Hey, that coupled with the recent BushCo decision to allow more logging in
the nation's largest protected national forests and, lo, you've got
yourself
a nice new reason to drink more heavily and escape to Canada to numb the
savage karmic pain.

Ah but let's not stop there. Not where there's a truly astounding deficit
looming like a thundercloud. Not when BushCo just passed yet another
absurdly pointless tax cut that makes the extremely wealthy squeal like
hogs, while almost simultaneously comes the Congressional Budget Office
announcement that the national deficit will actually double by the end of
this coming September, soaring right past a whopping $400 billion, a new
record, ha-ha suckers. Good thing most Americans don't care, polls say.

Yes, you read correctly, double. Remember when we actually had an enormous
budget surplus, just a few years ago? Before BushCo snuck into power and
cranked military spending and passed that first ridiculous tax cut and
spent
tens of billions to attack a defenseless nation and blatantly lied and
smirked about the reasons why?

And just before he reconfigured the national policy to favor major
corporations and CEO cronies and leave states cut off and hanging, begging
for fiscal scraps, Medicare gutted and schools stunned into sudden poverty
and cities cutting back on vital services for the poor and elderly and
children and, well, you? Ah yes, the salad days.

Speaking of gutted school budgets, let's talk sex. Or, rather, let's talk
no
sex, given how the snide sexless GOP very much wants kids to know sex is
icky shameful wrong anti-Christian sin (well, hello, Mr. Ashcroft!) and
hence we have BushCo's malicious and asinine little $135 million
"abstinence-only-until-marriage" program for schools.

Yes, it's $135 mil of your tax dollars set aside for these already
Bush-reamed schools, but they get a cut only if they agree to teach the wee=

ones that the only -- repeat, the only -- proper approach to sexual
awareness at their age is, of course, not to have it.

That's right, just shut that intense natural libido right down, kiddo.
Repress it and hold it back and cram it down and defenestrate your divine
sexual self because we can't have you feeling all free and open and happy,
now can we? Take that, you hormonally ravaged little punks.

This bears repeating. This bears a second look, if only for the sick
invidiousness. Schools get a chunk of that $135 mil only if they promise to=

teach the "joys" of completely abstaining from all sexual activity, and
nothing else.

Are we clear? No words about condoms, no safe sex, no HIV awareness, no
celebration of the body, no notions of any sort of reverence for sexuality
and sensuality and respect for your partner and pleasure and love and lust
and tongues and joy and discovery and human goddamn nature. God forbid.

And still we wonder why teens lash out and rebel and listen to bad rap
metal
and have massive amounts of sex anyway and flip off the establishment and
then, through some sad, mutated cheese grater of culture, turn out to be
violent flag-waving psychopatriots who drink cheap beer and smack their
wives and watch way too much Fox News. Your tax dollars at work, honey.

You have to ask. Are they idiots? This is the ultimate question. These
lawmakers, the GOP in particular -- are they really such vile and
mean-spirited imbeciles? Or are they just wealthy and relatively heartless
corporatized jerks protected by cocoons of fear-based support and
warmongering and power, insulated from authentic reality and entirely
devoid
of soul and perspective?

No, it simply can't be. They can't be that sneering and small-minded. This
is what you say to yourself. Maybe they're just misguided, money-drunk,
power-sucked. Maybe it will all change for the better relatively soon.
Maybe
it really is just a bad and vicious joke, one that we as a nation will,
with
any luck, laugh off in about, oh, say a year.

Because if we don't, well, the joke is most definitely on us.