Old August 19th 03, 07:48 PM
Bill

Default ARRL FUD about BPL

All I know is I have heard it with my own ears, and seen it with my own eyes
and it will wreck HF for me.

I don't care how much theory or alleged science you want to try to wrap
around the BPL issue, it won't solve my personal loss if it becomes the ISP
of the future.

So I will keep sending my money to the ARRL and I will encourage them to
work towards keeping my hobby fun.

73

"Jim Nye" wrote in message
The claim that BPL will seriously and negatively impact amateur radio
is simply fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) spread by the ARRL. That
organization needs to justify its existence, and the BPL issue is a
convenient way for it to show its activism. The ARRL has apparently
followed the path of other self-justifying organizations such as NOW
and the NAACP.

Unfortunately, the technically unsophisticated do not recognize the
difference between coherent and non-coherent noise, and this makes it
easy for the ARRL to spread its FUD. But the fact is that, if BPL
signals are heard at all, they are coherent (have a predictable phase
and amplitude) and therefore can be completely removed at the
receiver. This can be done in many ways, most of which amount to
nulling the BPL signals by introducing an identical signal which is
180 degrees out of phase with the original. As a matter of fact, most
current HF transceivers have what they call a "noise reduction" option
already built into them which uses the nulling method to accomplish
its goal. Therefore, many amateurs and SWLers already have the needed
equipment to deal with any BPL "interference." The ARRL reports have
conveniently omitted any mention of the coherency issue, and their
measurements are therefore flawed, because they don't reflect real
world situations.

So take the ARRL claims with a large grain of salt, and don't succumb
to the FUD they are spreading. Instead, do some reading on your own
by going to non-ARRL web pages such as http://www.uplc.utc.org, and
http://www.wave-report.com/tutorials/bpl.htm before accepting the ARRL
claims at face value.

Old August 19th 03, 09:30 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

It's also interesting that Mr. Nye points us to the websites of folks
who are advocating BPL ...

I wonder, is Mr. Nye a consultant to the utilities or BPL manufacturers?

I live just outside of Emmaus, PA, (test site #3 in Ed Hare's video).
While I am currently far enough away from the limited deployment
that I cannot detect it here at my QTH, I have gone down to the
area with my FT-817 and can verify that the noise is HORRIBLE.

I shudder to think what havoc large-scale deployments would bring.

Despite Mr. Nye's allegations of "FUD" ... the ARRL is right on
this one.

Carl - wk3c

. net...

Old August 19th 03, 10:07 PM
N2EY

(Jim Nye) wrote in message ...
The claim that BPL will seriously and negatively impact amateur radio
is simply fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) spread by the ARRL.

No, it's a real issue. Have you seen the video? Have you conducted
tests on the BPL demo areas?

That
organization needs to justify its existence, and the BPL issue is a
convenient way for it to show its activism. The ARRL has apparently
followed the path of other self-justifying organizations such as NOW
and the NAACP.

Every organization needs to justify its existence.

Are you saying we don't need the ARRL, NAACP, or NOW? How about the
NRA?

Unfortunately, the technically unsophisticated do not recognize the
difference between coherent and non-coherent noise, and this makes it
easy for the ARRL to spread its FUD.

You admit, then, that BPL emits noise.

But the fact is that, if BPL
signals are heard at all, they are coherent (have a predictable phase
and amplitude) and therefore can be completely removed at the
receiver. This can be done in many ways, most of which amount to
nulling the BPL signals by introducing an identical signal which is
180 degrees out of phase with the original. As a matter of fact, most
current HF transceivers have what they call a "noise reduction" option
already built into them which uses the nulling method to accomplish
its goal. Therefore, many amateurs and SWLers already have the needed
equipment to deal with any BPL "interference." The ARRL reports have
conveniently omitted any mention of the coherency issue, and their
measurements are therefore flawed, because they don't reflect real
world situations.

Have you actually done this? Where is your 120 page report and demo
video?

Are the BPL folks going to buy me a new transceiver if my existing one
doesn't have these alleged noise-cancelling features?

Let's get down to basics on this.

What you're saying is:

1) BPL does radiate lots of noise
2) Rather than the unlicensed BPL folks not radiating the noise, it
should be up to the licensed users to filter out the noise using
techniques you have not demonstrated.
3) If an amateur does not have the technology to filter out the noise,
he/she is out of luck.

Let's do an analogy, shall we?

Imagine the RF spectrum as a river that is used by many different
people for many different purposes - transportation, recreation,
fishing, irrigation, energy generation, drinking water, etc. All are
licensed and have their uses balanced against each other. Nobody is
allowed to just dump trash in the river.

Along comes a group that wants to use an existing bridge over the
river for transport. But the vehicles they want to use on the bridge
leak and spill their contents, some of which falls into the river.
They claim that:

- the spillage is harmless
- proof of harm is up to the other users
- anybody who doesn't like the spillage should simply equip themselves
with filters to strain it out, rather than requiring the transport
company to seal up their vehicles and not spill in the first place.

Here's another: Perhaps we should remove all air pollution devices,
and simply have everyone go around wearing gas masks.

So take the ARRL claims with a large grain of salt, and don't succumb
to the FUD they are spreading.

What about the inaccuracies YOU are spreading?

Instead, do some reading on your own
by going to non-ARRL web pages such as
http://www.uplc.utc.org, and
http://www.wave-report.com/tutorials/bpl.htm before accepting the ARRL
claims at face value.

I did. I saw nothing about "coherent noise". I did see a lot of
boosterism for a polluting technology.

DSL and cable modems don't pollute the RF spectrum. Why should BPL be
allowed to do so?

N2EY

Old August 19th 03, 11:44 PM
N2EY

"Bill" wrote in message .net...
All I know is I have heard it with my own ears, and seen it with my own eyes
and it will wreck HF for me.

I don't care how much theory or alleged science you want to try to wrap
around the BPL issue, it won't solve my personal loss if it becomes the ISP
of the future.

So I will keep sending my money to the ARRL and I will encourage them to
work towards keeping my hobby fun.

73

Bill,

One more thing: COMMENT TO THE FCC about BPL. Your firsthand, detailed
experience is sorely needed in the fight. We can do theory all day but
somebody who was there has the definitive answer.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 20th 03, 12:02 AM
Jim Hampton

Jim,

Having worked in EMC labs (electromagnetic compatibility), I've heard the
signals generated by some equipment. What you fail to understand is that
these signals are being modulated at very high rates of speed. Inside of
your computer exist a number of oscillators. You assume that only those
frequencies and their harmonics would be broadcast. Do yourself a favor and
put an HF radio or HF scanner next to your computer while it is on. Turn
off the monitor so you won't blame the monitor. Guess what? A ton of
garbage. BPL will be worse since it will be carrying more than one signal
over the power lines. These will likely carry information at a 1.5 megabaud
rate. Check out the ARRL website and view (and listen to) the 26 MB video
they have available showing the radio, S-meter, and the car driving around.
It is a veritable cacophony of noise all over HF.

The fact is that folks such as yourself who are not particularly technically
inclined make statements that other non technically inclined individuals
will believe without actually studying the matter. I can assure you that
your position is totally in error.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"