Old August 26th 03, 04:32 PM

Default off subject, monitor for cpu??

Would you know what all is involved,,,,, using your regular tv
as a monitor?? Would appreciate any and all input. Thanks. cl
Old August 26th 03, 10:14 PM

1) It is possible, and can be done easily.

2) A scan converter, that takes the computer display signals
and converts them to NTSC/PAL/SECAM, will do the trick.

3) Prepare yourself for an ugly, bletcherous image.

4) Computer monitors are dirt cheap, if not free, if you are
looking for a down-and-dirty one. Even nice ones are not
very expensive.

5) I scan convert to my big screen 525-line TV, but only for
some games. Many images simply do not convert well as the
resoultions are very diifferent.

6) Your TV will need some sort of auxiliary input, such as a
composite (RCA jack) or S-Video (round multi-pin jack)
that is fed from the scan converter. Most modern TV sets
or TV monitors have this capability.

7) Bottom line is, unless you have special interest (like the
one where I use a 53" big screen for low resolution games),
then it is of questionable value to do so. The resultant image
will contain flicker, non-readable text unless it is VERY large,
poor color reproduction, and poor resolution.

Just my experience, and I hope it is of help.

73

Old August 27th 03, 03:06 AM
Manny J

wrote in message
Would you know what all is involved,,,,, using your regular tv
as a monitor?? Would appreciate any and all input. Thanks. cl

Web TV has been doing it for years. (..and I was not
impressed with the video quality, but my grandparents
like it as it's easy to use so it's OK by them and I was
glad to get rid of it - grin)

As for TV's as monitors, good luck, but there is an
alternative you may consider...

I see no less than 3 monitors (including a few 21"
sizes) out on the curb, free for the taking, each trash
night. It seems everyone is tossing out their CRT monitors
for LCD screens. I'm presently using two 21" CRT
monitors that I "lifted" from off the curb on trash night(s).
One a Viewsonic, the other a Toshiba. Both of them
worked 100%, were less than 3 Years old as-found
and after a dusting/cleaning I was a VERY happy camper.

Take a drive around the neighborhood the night before
trash day. You'll be amazed what you can find sometimes.

No Subject Boatanchors 0 January 4th 05 12:00 AM
No Subject Digital 0 January 4th 05 12:00 AM
No Subject Digital 0 January 4th 05 12:00 AM
How to find a subject. Ronald Bilodeau Antenna 2 September 1st 03 08:35 PM
Change the Subject Line When You Start a New Thread? Dr. Slick Antenna 0 August 22nd 03 10:54 PM