Old October 21st 03, 09:35 PM
Wil Limbacher

Default Social Security number and license renewal

It's time to renew my license, and I notice that they want a Social Security
Number as part of the process, unless I state one of several reasons not to
offer one. One reason is that I'm only operating as a "petitioner" to the
FCC. Anyone know if applying for an amateur license renewal qualifies as
being a 'petitioner'? While we're on the subject, what does the FCC want
with my SSN anyway?

Old October 21st 03, 11:17 PM
TooManyRadios

In article 9Mglb.31751$Rd4.21952@fed1read07, "Wil Limbacher"
writes:

It's time to renew my license, and I notice that they want a Social Security
Number as part of the process, unless I state one of several reasons not to
offer one. One reason is that I'm only operating as a "petitioner" to the
FCC. Anyone know if applying for an amateur license renewal qualifies as
being a 'petitioner'? While we're on the subject, what does the FCC want
with my SSN anyway?

This latest invasion-of-privacy is being done under the guise of "Homeland
Security." All states either now require or will soon require a SS # for
drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, etc.

Looks like FCC licenses are included in this ruse also.

It's a back door method of establishing a national ID number, an idea which has
been soundly rejected in the past.

Welcome to Amerika, Comrade.

Old October 21st 03, 11:52 PM
Dee D. Flint

writes:

It's time to renew my license, and I notice that they want a Social

Security
Number as part of the process, unless I state one of several reasons not

offer one. One reason is that I'm only operating as a "petitioner" to the
FCC. Anyone know if applying for an amateur license renewal qualifies as
being a 'petitioner'? While we're on the subject, what does the FCC want
with my SSN anyway?

This latest invasion-of-privacy is being done under the guise of "Homeland
Security." All states either now require or will soon require a SS # for
drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, etc.

Looks like FCC licenses are included in this ruse also.

It's a back door method of establishing a national ID number, an idea

which has
been soundly rejected in the past.

Welcome to Amerika, Comrade.

Actually it started before the Homeland Security activities. It was part of
the group of laws put in place to help track "dead beat parents", i.e. those
who were not paying court ordered child support. Just about all state and
Federal agencies now ask for this data due to those laws.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 22nd 03, 12:15 AM
Wil Limbacher

.com...

writes:

[...]

I wonder if anyone bothers to match up the number. From what I'm told, the
California DMV collects SSNs, but nobody ever does anything with them. Same
for the thumbprint they collect. I wonder if the FCC is just as lax.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:16 PM
Bob Johnson

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:35:19 -0700, "Wil Limbacher"
wrote:

It's time to renew my license, and I notice that they want a Social Security
Number as part of the process, unless I state one of several reasons not to
offer one. One reason is that I'm only operating as a "petitioner" to the
FCC. Anyone know if applying for an amateur license renewal qualifies as
being a 'petitioner'? While we're on the subject, what does the FCC want
with my SSN anyway?

Apparently you received your present license before the start of the
FCC's issuing FIN (Federal Identification Number) numbers. When you
fill out a Form 605 for a new license or a renewal, the SSN is
required as a Taxpayer ID, just as in your Form 1040 income tax form.
When your new license comes through, it will have a FIN number on it,
and you can use this in further upgrade or renewal applications
instead of the SSN.

BTW, I also am concerned with everyone and his brother requiring the
SSN as identification. It was formerly a federal law that the SSN
should not be used for ID purposes except by the Social Security
Administration or taxpayer ID. How it got so diluted, I have no idea,
but it makes it much easier nowadays for identity theft. Go figure.