Old December 2nd 03, 06:27 PM
Jerry Oxendine

Default Stuck??

This is not exactly Amateur Radio, but I thought I would run it by and see
what you thought.

I know there are "odd" ducks on the internet, and every once in a while, one
accidentally runs across a website that is perplexing to say the least.
Yesterday, I ran across a website run by a Mr. "Sir Stuck Alot", and it is
devoted
to becoming mired in the mud with both new and old pictures. Surely, some
of these pictures showed people
hopeless bogged down and some of them in real predica-
ments. Some would make one wonder how they got into
such a fix, or why they were in that particular locale in the
first place. I mean, *most* reasonable people wouldn't
drive into creeks, rivers, bogs, snowbanks, etc.

When I was a child, we kids thought it was VERY funny
when our parents got stuck and we helped to push them with excited glee.
The muddier, the better, the more stuck
we were, the funnier it was, and we were fascinated by spinning wheels. We
would even contrive ways for people to stick up----such as jacking up a
parent's car and putting a block under the wheel (good way to tear up
a transmission, but we were 11 years and didn't know), or by putting a
scooped-out watermelon rind under the
rear wheel. All so we could see Fred's '49 Ford spin a
bit until it wore out the rind and caught traction. Not to
mention the puzzled reaction of poor Fred who was wondering why his car
wouldn't move on DRY ground.
Back in the '50s, side roads often were not paved and turned into seas of
mud into which our school busses slid
and got stuck up; indeed, we grammar school kids would
rock back and forth trying to cause the thing to slide in the ditch. We
LOVED to be late for school on such mornings! In the morning, to the smell
of coal and hiss of
steam radiators, the principal would also announce over the PA, "The
following busses are late on account of being stuck up (in a mudhole)". All
this was great fun--
when you are a kid. We imitated cars with paper plates
(for steering wheels), and ran around the yard pretending we were stuck,
gunning our "engines" and rocking our 'cars' back and forth (like Daddy did
when he got mired).
We'd "push" each other, one of us resisting while the other leaned against
the other with all his might, and making loud motor noises (Ung, Ung, Ung,
UUUUUUNNH! and clashing his gears)--sort of a tug-of-war in reverse.
Sometimes, failing to unstick (move the stronger kid) the "car", another
buddy would join in
and push with all HIS might--all while making all this racket (ungh, ungh,
UNGH, UNNNNNNNNNGH!) as
if we were a 50 Chevy six-cyl! LOL!

Now. Most of us grew up, got licenses, drove cars, got
married, had kids, etc,go ham licenses, and forgot about childish play. We
drove prudently (well, not always) except for the occasional burn-out or
donut in the high school parking lot, and eventually forgot about being
"stuck". Indeed, we avoided becoming stuck, going around mudholes, staying
out of snowdrifts, and, well,
just not going where we figured we might not make it.

Perhaps the person that put up that website is grown, perhaps not (maybe
still a kid) or, perhaps, an adult that is immature? As we get older, we (I
hope) retain a sense of humor, but things such as being stuck up in the mud
fails to invoke humor to me. I haven't gotten in such a fix
in YEARS because I'd like to think exercises caution and
maturity enough not to go into a place that might not be
"safe".

So, while it could be mild funny to see a friend bog down
in the mud or get stuck up in a snowdrift, is this website really telling me
that there are people that never grow up?
The site strikes me as silly and very immature. Or am I
missing something here?

73

Jerry
K4KWH

Old December 2nd 03, 08:51 PM
Radioman

What is the web site?

BTW, you sound like you need to buy a Jeep and pray for snow! :
Old December 4th 03, 04:33 AM
Jerry Oxendine

"Radioman" wrote in message
What is the web site?

BTW, you sound like you need to buy a Jeep and pray for snow! :

www.carstuck.com

Uh, speaking of snow, the "nasty" weather service is predicting ice and snow
tonite! YUCK! I will remain
holed up downstairs next to my wood stove a-simmerin'
away.

Here in North Carolina, many folks up Naw'th think it doesn't snow here, but
in the Western part of NC it DOES snow and gets pretty darned cold, too.
This ice
and snow comes almost exactly at the same time of the one last year that
pulled down power lines and knocked down trees.

About the biggest snow I have heard of (about 2 hours
from here) was 5 feet with 18' drifts. A group from Michigan got stranded
on the Appalachain Trail and had
to be lifted out by 'copter. That was a few years ago.

I hope they miss this one.

Jerry

Old December 4th 03, 09:12 PM
Jerry Oxendine