RadioBanter

-   -   Asshole Cop (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/25276-re-asshole-cop.html)

core_dump December 7th 03 11:34 PM

Asshole Cop

(DooDahMan) wrote in :

So this asshole cop pulls me over today and starts asking me why I
have a scanner in my car. I tell him it's a hobby and that NJ state
scanner law states that having a scanner in your vehicle is not
illegal unless it's used for commiting a crime or evading police.
Which is true. It's says so right he

That wasn't good enough for that asshole, so after he writes me for
not having a seat belt on, he tells me that the "NJ scanner law stuff
is hogwash" and that unless I'm a tow truck driver, EMT, fire
fighter....(insert own bull****) that I can't have it in my car and
that he has 30 days to decide if he wants to charge me with the crime
of having it in my car.

What should I do? I know for a fact that it's not illegal and this
asshole harrassed me just cuz he was bored i suppose.

Wasn't this exact message posted once before? It seems awfully familiar.

--
-core_dump

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Jim Shaffer, Jr. December 7th 03 11:34 PM

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 21:40:38 GMT, (DooDahMan) wrote:

So this asshole cop pulls me over today and starts asking me why I have a
scanner in my car. I tell him it's a hobby and that NJ state scanner law
states that having a scanner in your vehicle is not illegal unless it's used
for commiting a crime or evading police. Which is true. It's says so right
he

http://www.siscanner.8m.com/laws.html

and he

http://www.maxpages.com/frequencies/NJ_Laws

and he

http://www.fordyce.org/scanning/scan...o/nj-laws.html

That wasn't good enough for that asshole, so after he writes me for not
having a seat belt on, he tells me that the "NJ scanner law stuff is
hogwash" and that unless I'm a tow truck driver, EMT, fire
fighter....(insert own bull****) that I can't have it in my car and that he
has 30 days to decide if he wants to charge me with the crime of having it
in my car.

Well, what do you expect from someone so ****ing stupid that he can live with
himself for enforcing seatbelt laws? Victimless crimes should be abolished.
The "people" enforcing such laws are robots, not human beings.

ex-patBrit December 7th 03 11:47 PM

JAMES SHAFFER wiped his
nose with his yarmulke and hissed:

---On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 21:40:38 GMT, (DooDahMan) wrote:
---So this asshole cop pulls me over today and starts asking me why have
---scanner in my car.

****e mate you u live in a police state! you need to be liberated !

K2NNJ December 8th 03 12:25 AM

Get a copy of the New Jersey Police Manual. They are approx. $30.00 from
http://www.gannlaw.com/

If you can't the prosecutor (NJ does not use the term District Attorney) is
obligated to let you use his /hers in your defense. You should just be able
to quote the state statute.

The cop was probably trying to just give you a hard time figuring you don't
know the law. I doubt the officer will pursue this further.

73

Bob, K2NNJ

Midwest Kid December 8th 03 02:58 AM

"DooDahMan" wrote in message

What should I do? I know for a fact that it's not illegal and this

asshole
harrassed me just cuz he was bored i suppose.

First, speak with some lawyers and the prosecutor/district attorney. If you
find you are in the right, then I would see if it's legal for you to record
everything. File a complaint against the cop and if they call you, record
what they say. They could come and lock you up, and then you could end up
with a nice nest egg.

Brenda Ann December 8th 03 03:35 AM

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
DDM,

States have to demonstrate that they are 'enforcing' the "Seat
Belt" Laws or the Federal Government can cut certain Highway
and Transportation Funding that is 'tied' to "Safer Highways"

Thank You Jimmy Carter !
= Another Big Brother,
= = Big Government Idea !
= = = Form the Democrats [.]

And we can thank Mr. Reagan for blackmailing the states in a similar fashion
to raise the drinking age to 21.. I'm not certain that Carter had anything
much to do with the federal seatbelt mandate, but he had his own
boondoggles.. the 55mph speed limit, the banning of decorative gaslights,
etc. during the Arab oil embargo, and our own oil companies claiming we were
dangerously short on reserves so that they could gouge us at the pumps (at
least Carter's Attorney General made them give some of it back in the form
of free gas).

Doesn't matter anyway which party pushes this stuff.... it's BS. The
federal government has been strongarming states to do their bidding for
years.. wonder what the next unfunded mandate will be??

N8KDV December 8th 03 03:45 AM

Brenda Ann wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
[...]

Well I sure hope that it's Log Periodic antennas (a whole set of em!) for every
short-wave DXer out there.

And the big chunk of property to put 'em on too. And of course maintainence will
be done at the cost of the taxp...... er... Government too!

Brenda Ann December 8th 03 03:51 AM

"N8KDV" wrote in message
Doesn't matter anyway which party pushes this stuff.... it's BS. The
federal government has been strongarming states to do their bidding for
years.. wonder what the next unfunded mandate will be??

Well I sure hope that it's Log Periodic antennas (a whole set of em!) for

every
short-wave DXer out there.

And the big chunk of property to put 'em on too. And of course

maintainence will
be done at the cost of the taxp...... er... Government too!

Hey, that works for me. Every time I drive onto Kunsan AB and see the huge
log periodic antenna they have there, I get all envious..

Joe User December 8th 03 04:17 AM

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 18:47:12 -0500, ex-patBrit
wrote:

****e mate you u live in a police state! you need to be liberated !

True, NJ /is/ a police state. Took a road trip a couple of years ago,
drove almost 6000 miles around the midwest and northwest USA, saw
maybe three speed traps the whole time. On the final leg through NJ
heading back into NYC, counted over TWENTY speed traps. And those are
just the ones that didn't bother hiding.

And remember, NJ is one of those places where DWB is a felony offense.
(Driving While Black, for the uninitiated).

I've boycotted New Jersey.

Pick up your scanner and move somewhere that the police don't act like
stormtroopers.

RP Jones December 8th 03 04:42 AM

And they will plant dope in your car if your not nice to them.
I refuse to drive in the state with New York plates.
Yeas ago I was stopped on the Palisades Pkwy in Alpine for a tire presser
test.
The cop said the tires have to much wear and said: "you cant drive garbage
through the streets here"
They impounded my 68 Chevy van and slashed the 2 front tires, handed me an
unsafe vehicle ticket and told me start walking ......waiving nightsticks
-RP