Old January 23rd 04, 05:30 AM
Brenda Ann

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

If you havent noticed, not everyone in the country works for Wal-Mart. Why
dont you do some research and see what the average wage in the US is and
report back to us here. That is your school assignment.
73

But the average wage doesn't mean a lot to a great many people. The average
income is skewed by a very few very high paid corporate execs (who make many
times more a year than does the president), entertainers and sports figures.
This has the effect of raising the median income significantly when figured
as part of the whole. For every Enron exec making millions a year, there are
thousands of folks making less than $20G, which isn't a living of any kind
with our cost of living. There's a whole lot of grunt labor out there,
including a lot of the salespeople at your favorite radio store, that make
much closer to minimum wage...

Old January 23rd 04, 03:40 PM
123.bam

Brenda Ann wrote:

[...]

me thinks about the math for a second
lets assume you are correct
1000 people at 20g/yr
1 enron exec 10million/yr

1000 X 20,000 = 20,000,000
1 X 10,000,000 = 10,000,000

total 30,000,000

average

30,000,000/(1000 + 1) = 29,970 and change
actually that doesnt seem to me to skew the number all that bad

Old January 23rd 04, 04:29 PM
CW

That is quite correct. There are really not enough of the very rich to skew
the numbers to a significant degree.

Old January 23rd 04, 05:19 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Mike Lindo" wrote:
You don't mention that the working
Europeans pay for all of that through
enormous taxation. (snip)

Nonsense. While I don't agree with everything Leonard said, he is
absolutely correct about the taxes. When you compare the entire tax burdens
(sales, sin, property, state income, federal income, and so on), most
Europeans don't pay higher taxes. Further, because of the often higher
saleries, Europeans usually have more money to spend after taxes. Yet, in
spite of this, Europeans still enjoy the benefits described below. I've
worked in both places, paid taxes in both, and know this to be the truth. If
more Americans did the same, they would also realise the claim of "enormous
taxation" in Europe is false.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

"Leonard Martin" wrote:

Hyperpatriot American morons never
listen to or watch international news.
Our masters see to that. If we Americans
heard about life in Europe, with its six
week vacations, free medical care, etc.,
long-term unemployment compensation,
and so on, we might stop running around
like obedient herd-dogs, doing ever more
for our masters, and ask why we, in the
"Wealthiest Country on Earth" don't have
those things. (snip)

Old January 23rd 04, 05:28 PM
JJ

Leonard Martin wrote:

Hyperpatriot American morons never listen to or watch international news.
Our masters see to that. If we Americans heard about life in Europe, with
its six week vacations, free medical care, etc., long-term unemployment
compensation, and so on, we might stop running around like obedient
herd-dogs, doing ever more for our masters, and ask why we, in the
"Wealthiest Country on Earth" don't have those things.

Of course, our corporations, with their promotion of the global economy,
are rapidly undermining Europe's lifestyle, so soon Europeans will be just
like us. I wonder if they too, then, like us now, will solace themselves
for their endless labor and perpetual fearfulness, by saying, "OK, my life
sucks, but I live in the "Greatest Country on Earth"!!!

Leonard

The why do you live here? Why don't you move to Europe?

Old January 23rd 04, 06:39 PM
craigm

Brenda Ann wrote:

[...]

For US income information, try looking here.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/p60-221.pdf

Old January 23rd 04, 10:30 PM
Frank

JJ ...

^ The why do you live here? Why don't you move to Europe?

You're suggesting that we should mold the people to fit the needs of the
nation instead of molding the nation to fit the needs of the people.

Frank

Old January 24th 04, 03:56 AM
JJ

Frank wrote:

JJ ...

^ The why do you live here? Why don't you move to Europe?

You're suggesting that we should mold the people to fit the needs of the
nation instead of molding the nation to fit the needs of the people.

Frank

The nation fits mine and most others needs just fine. What's your problem?

Old January 24th 04, 08:34 PM
W4JLE

With all due respect, you need to research your facts.

"Leonard Martin" wrote in message
t...

Exactly!

An it's well known that over the last 30 years an ever-greater portion of
the total money earned in the US has gone to the wealthiest people, and an
ever-greater portion of our assets have come to be owned by them, while

the
reverse is happening to the poor and much of the middle class. Here's a

bit
of intriguing evidence of that trend: During the Christmas season just
past, luxury stores like Nieman-Marcus experienced strong sales increases
over the previous year, while stores like Sears and even Walmart,
patronized by the rest of us, experienced only modest growth.

Leonard

--
"Everything that rises must converge"
--Flannery O'Connor

Old January 24th 04, 10:41 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Leonard Martin" wrote in message
t...
In Europe ost of that heavy taxation falls on rich people. Are you one?

I'm
not. So we'd both be better off there. Especially given some statistics i
recently heard from a guy who's written a book on the American tax

system:
1) Persons in the top 1% of earners in the US now pay about 1/3, in real
dollars, of the percentage of the total tax "take" that they did in the
1970s. 2) The Alternative Minimum tax has never been indexed for

inflation
since it was passed in the 1970s, so it has increasingly done what it was
never meant to do, increase the portion of the tax take paid by the middle
to upper middle class (those earning $50,000 to $500,000 a year). 3) The
American income tax system is very good at tracking down and getting at
earned income, but poor at doing so for income from investments, and,
above all, income realized by corporations, and that is part of why rich
people pay so little. 4) The rest of why is because the top tax rates have
been cut again and again by Reagan, Bush1 and Bush2.

Leonard

Your data is incomplete. The top 5% of the people in this country pay about
50% of the total tax take. The top 50% of the people pay 90% of the total
tax take. So the government is already "taxing the rich". If you are going
to stimulate the economy, you can only cut taxes for those who are paying
taxes. Since half the people pay very little or even no taxes, you can't
reduce taxes there. The rich are paying their fair share and more.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE