Old December 29th 03, 06:13 PM
KØHB

Default Elmering Opportunity New Years Eve

Elmering.

SKN is an elmering opportunity. If you know the code, and you want to see
it continue as part of our ham radio culture, you have to pass it on.
Nobody teaches CW any more. We used to have converts from the military,
where CW ops were to learn code or face a courtmartial. They got to 20WPM
in a couple of weeks but had a gun to their heads for 8 hours a day to do
it. Learning CW is a one-on-one activity and each of us CW ops needs to
feel an obligation to our elmers to pass it on. SKN is designed to do just
that.

Get on the air. Encourage friends that have expressed interest in CW to get
on the air and provide them a Q. That's what SKN is all about. Check out
the old novice bands and try a CQ at 12 WPM or even slower. You don't HAVE
to use a straight key. Many CW ops don't even own one. I didn't until last
year when I tried my first ever SKN. So don't feel pressure to not operate
because you don't have a straight key. Just tell whoever you talk to that
you are using an electronic contrivance to facilitate the code sending. The
ARRL has a competition for "the best fist heard." Don't even think about
accepting that award either.

And let me tell you it isn't easy slowing down to 5 WPM and still be able to
copy. And the rusty old key don't seem to work with the grace that used to
fill the novice bands with music. It's much easier at 30WPM. It was baby
steps that got you to where you are and it's baby steps that will get others
there too.

Take a shot at the new "@" character. It's not easy for me to send for some
reason. CA run together is not in this op's vocabulary. dah dit dah dit
dit dah was a good choice for the character, but it's one trick this old dog
is resisting for some reason.

Look for me in the old novice bands on 80M and 40M. Afterwords, represent
to me that you worked 10 Qs and you will have some MWA Brasso to spiff up
the old key. And turn in your soapbox at the ARRL. Tell us about your
elmer too.

Ford-N0FP

Old December 30th 03, 12:17 AM
Phil Kane

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:04:35 GMT, Bert Craig wrote:

CU OTA! 7040 & 7110 kHz will my "hang outs." :-)

Do you mean QSX 7040/7110 KHZ

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old December 30th 03, 01:24 AM
Bert Craig

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
et...
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:04:35 GMT, Bert Craig wrote:

CU OTA! 7040 & 7110 kHz will my "hang outs." :-)

Do you mean QSX 7040/7110 KHZ

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

OK K2ASP DE WA2SI QSX 7040/7110 TNX ES 73 ;-)

Old December 30th 03, 04:13 AM
Phil Kane

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:24:31 GMT, Bert Craig wrote:

OK K2ASP DE WA2SI QSX 7040/7110 TNX ES 73 ;-)

QSL DE K2ASP UP

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Already 4 years ! Thierry Antenna 4 October 4th 04 05:16 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 6 October 1st 04 07:40 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM