Old January 1st 04, 05:03 PM
Vaughn Combs

Default Homebrew questions...

Greetings,

I figured that this would be one of the BEST groups to ask these questions.
I am
getting back into building after quite a while. I am putting in a section in
the attic shack for testing and fabrication and I have started to equip
things. I already have some relatively good test gear, Tektronics 475A,
DM44, sig generator, etc. but want to set up for fabrication. I have been
wondering what most of you find as indispensible on your benches. I really
want a PCB vise/holder that would aid in the fabrication process.

If any of you do your own design/fab of PCBs I would also be very interested
in what you find are the best tools/techniques. If you are using software to
go from circuits to black PCB mask I am VERY interested in this
(freeware/shareware is best). I have been reading some of the sites but I am
most interested in what you as experienced homebrewers like the MOST.

I have done some kit building and fab long ago but I have been out of it for
quite some time. I have ordered an elecraft K1 to get my soldering back into
shape ;-)

Many Thanks and 73,
Vaughn

Old January 1st 04, 07:55 PM
Tim Wescott

The piece of test equipment that I've found most critical is my brain.
Whenever I forget to use it bad things happen. If you're doing radio buy or
build a good dip meter. They're hard to find new, but you can find them at
hamfests and there's still nothing better for checking out resonant
circuits.

When I'm building circuits for through-hole components I just use dead-bug
construction. There are numerous articles in QST on the technique, and the
newer ARRL handbooks detail some of the methods. I prefer the ground-plane
style where you never cut up your circuit board at all.

If I did need a circuit board these days I would be _very_ tempted to use
one of the gazillion quick-turn PCB houses out there. There are a number of
them that are oriented toward the hobbyist, and they do surface-mount
quality boards (at least one, ExpressPCB, offers a kit for doing reflow in a
toaster oven as well). Most have an "economy" rate where they charge around
$80 to do a pair of 3"x5" boards, and their "regular" service isn't all that
bad either. Unless you are very desperately poor I'd recommend that you
check them out.

news