Old April 11th 04, 07:23 PM
J999w

Default Extra class - question about the test

I passed my Advanced class some 15 years ago, now motivated to get the Extra
while the code is still 25wpm (no problem).

Will there be questions from the General and Advanced question pools in the
Extra exam, or just from the Extra class pool of questions??? Just so I know
what to review.

John Wilke
K9RZZ
Milwaukee
Old April 11th 04, 07:44 PM
Dee D. Flint

"J999w" wrote in message
I passed my Advanced class some 15 years ago, now motivated to get the

Extra
while the code is still 25wpm (no problem).

Will there be questions from the General and Advanced question pools in

the
Extra exam, or just from the Extra class pool of questions??? Just so I

know
what to review.

John Wilke
K9RZZ
Milwaukee

I strongly recommend getting the latest Extra class study guide. Each class
of license has its own pool of questions. The Extra class exam will only
have questions from the Extra class pool. However since the Advanced class
was closed, the Extra pool has been expanded to include that material. Not
only that there is additional, new material that was not on the Advanced or
Extra exams 15 years ago such as RF safety and the station RF survey, etc.

In your case, since you already hold an Advanced license and would have been
through much of the material, I would recommend the study guide from W5YI.
It gives each question, answer, and brief explanation. For those who go
from General to Extra, I normally recommend the ARRL publication since its
explanations are more in depth and I think that is important for someone who
hasn't previously addressed significant parts of the Extra class exam
material.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old April 11th 04, 08:49 PM
David 01

Why don't just go here and take a practice test and you can see an actual
test.
http://199.245.125.13/p/testing.pl

Old April 11th 04, 11:16 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"J999w" wrote in message
I passed my Advanced class some 15 years ago, now motivated to get the

Extra
while the code is still 25wpm (no problem).

Will there be questions from the General and Advanced question pools in

the
Extra exam, or just from the Extra class pool of questions??? Just so I

know
what to review.

John Wilke
K9RZZ
Milwaukee

I hate to break it to you...but..the code speed never was 25 (it was 20),
and it is presently 5wpm. So you won't have to take a cw test in any case.
You will have to settle for the extra light. Thats all there is.

Dan/W4NTI

Old April 12th 04, 12:49 AM
Tony P.

In article . net,
w4nti@get says...

"J999w" wrote in message
I passed my Advanced class some 15 years ago, now motivated to get the

Extra
while the code is still 25wpm (no problem).

Will there be questions from the General and Advanced question pools in

the
Extra exam, or just from the Extra class pool of questions??? Just so I

know
what to review.

John Wilke
K9RZZ
Milwaukee

I hate to break it to you...but..the code speed never was 25 (it was 20),
and it is presently 5wpm. So you won't have to take a cw test in any case.
You will have to settle for the extra light. Thats all there is.

Friend of mine got his license class upped to Extra when the highest
code speed was 13WPM. He had already taken element 4B but didn't want to
do the element 1C test and so waited it out. In the end, he got his
Extra when they watered down the code requirement.

I rattle him about this any chance I get. Having done the full route
(1A-1C) it give me a legitimate gripe.

Old April 12th 04, 10:43 PM
Dave Bushong

Tony P. wrote:
In article . net,
w4nti@get says...

"J999w" wrote in message

[...]

As long as we are telling stories, I have a friend who went in for her
Tech, when it was 5 wpm and half of the General written. She passed the
code test, but with a twist: she was convinced to sit in and try the 20
WPM, just to get acclimated, so that when the 5 WPM came along in a
half-hour, it would seem slow.

She passed the multiple-choice 20 WPM code test! So she spent the next
12 months studying the theory, passing her Tech (that day) her General a
few months later, her Advanced, some months after that, and finally her
Extra, all within the original 12 months. Now she is just about the
best volunteer examiner you could ever have: she encourages people to
succeed.

I think you can accidentally pass a multiple-choice 10-question test on
code reception, but what she did for the written was a true test of
wanting to be a ham.

Names withheld to protect the innocent, or course.

Do you?

Dave
KZ1O
Old April 13th 04, 05:28 PM
Steve Nosko

"J999w" wrote in message
...snip...

...while the code is still 25wpm (no problem).

John Wilke
K9RZZ
Milwaukee

If that's not a typo, you're in the twilight zone.

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old April 13th 04, 09:57 PM
J999w

...snip...

...while the code is still 25wpm (no problem).

John Wilke
K9RZZ
Milwaukee

If that's not a typo, you're in the twilight zone.

I told 'ya it's been a long time since I've thought about these tests. :^]

I read the first couple dozen questions from the ARRL website, then started
taking the QRZ sample test ... no problem.

I should have done this years ago.

222mhz Sprint tonight, then back to the books !

jw
K9RZZ