Old April 27th 04, 09:33 PM
Jack Twilley

Old April 27th 04, 10:03 PM
KØHB

"Jack Twilley" wrote

The idea of buried fiber along every two-lane road in the

country may
be a fantasy, but laying cable along every Interstate is

certainly
doable with the resources available. Of course, who will run

this
true "information superhighway" is the next debate...

Ten-twelve years ago I was up in northern Minnesota deer hunting.
Got up to my stand way back down a township road, 5 miles from
the nearest dwelling, at zero-dark-thirty and waited for Bambi's
dad to show up with the sunrise. Just in time for morning colors
(0800) I start hearing this awful racket off in the distance,
like a farmer might be buring drainage tiles or something, except
this part of Minnesota hasn't seen an agricultural plow since the
depression. Finally got curious (and cold) enough to go
investigate. Here, out in the middle of absolute nowhere, is a
contract crew burying a 144-fiber cable big as your wrist, and
another spare alonside of it. Every half-mile they put in an
above-ground service loop, and the next day another crew came
behind and plonked down a splice-and-access pedestal at each loop
waiting for the subscribers to show up. The pedestals are still
there, some kinda shot up, but no customers on the horizon. I
bet the local Podunk Power Cooperative is getting ready to roll
out BPL in the same manner!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 27th 04, 10:32 PM
Jim Hampton

"KØHB" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Hello, Hans

My gut feeling is that if someone is out in the boonies and they *really*
want high speed internet, they could go for satellite and have a decent
system. Yes, $50.00 per month is not as cheap as you can get cable or DSL
(at least in some areas), but it is doable and I doubt too many ISPs are
going to try high speed service where, even if they could subscribe
everyone, the average population density is 10 per square mile or less

I suspect that BPL will go the same route; they'll try, perhaps, but it will
be in the cities and suburbs where they can make money (and they will have
competition *and* cause a lot of qrm). The low population density areas
will *still* not be served (except by satellite or, perhaps, dial-up).

As for president, I *still* like Ike!!!

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Old April 28th 04, 03:50 PM
KØHB

"KØHB" wrote

While GWB calls for relaxing Part 15.....

There needs to be technical standards to make
possible new broadband technologies, such as the use of
high-speed communication directly over power lines. Power lines
were for electricity; power lines can be used for broadband
technology. So the technical standards need to be changed to
encourage that.

.....the NTIAyesterday (4/27/2004) released a paper which argues
AGAINST relaxing Part 15 (see below). Full NTIA report at
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/fcc...bpl/index.html

"Critical review of the assumptions underlying these analyses
revealed that application of existing Part 15 compliance
measurement procedures for BPL systems results in a significant
underestimation of peak field strength. Underestimation of the
actual peak field strength is the leading contributor to high
interference risks. As applied in current practice to BPL
systems, Part 15 measurement guidelines do not address unique
physical and electromagnetic characteristics of BPL radiated
emissions. Refining compliance measurement procedures for BPL
systems will not impede implementation of BPL technology because
BPL networks reportedly can be successfully implemented under
existing field strength limits.

"Accordingly, NTIA does NOT recommend that the FCC relax Part 15
field strength limits for BPL systems. Further based on studies
to date, NTIA recommends several "access" BPL compliance
measurement provisions that derive from existing Part 15
measurement guidelines. Among these are requirements to: use
measurement antenna heights near the height of power lines;
measure at a uniform distance of ten (10) meters from the BPL
device and power lines; and measure using a calibrated rod
antenna or a loop antenna in connection with appropriate factors
relating magnetic and electric field strength levels at
frequencies below 30 MHz."

Sunuvagun,

de Hans, K0HB

Old April 28th 04, 03:57 PM
KØHB

"KØHB" wrote

....the NTIAyesterday (4/27/2004) released a paper which argues
AGAINST relaxing Part 15 (see below). Full NTIA report at
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/fcc...bpl/index.html

Another excerpt.....

"Assuming that co-frequency BPL devices are deployed at a density
of one per km^2 within a circular area of 10 km radius,
interference to aircraft reception of moderate-to-strong radio
signals is likely to occur below 6 km altitude within 12 km of
the center of the BPL deployment. Interference likely would
occur to aircraft reception of weak-to-moderate radio signals
within 40 km of the center of the BPL deployment area."

Gee, do ya think we oughta deploy this in Terlingua, Texas, Mr.
President?

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB

Old April 28th 04, 04:06 PM
KØHB

GWB said:

And if you're living out in -- I should -- I was going to
say Crawford, Texas, but it's not -- maybe not nearly as
remote. (Laughter.) How about Terlingua, Texas?

Hey, I've been through Terlingua. It's a ghost town outside the
west gate of Big Bend National Park near the XE border. They're
welcome to BPL!

73, de Hans, K0HB