Old May 1st 04, 06:42 PM
King Zulu

Default How to prove prior ham license ??

How to prove prior ham license ??

Herbert Fischer would like to show that he held a valid ham license (WN1UYH)
in 1954 that required the 5 wpm code proficiency. Without the actual
license, is there a way to prove he held the license? (Maybe a copy of the
old CallBook page with his call would work?)

All suggestions welcomed.

AK

Old May 1st 04, 07:31 PM
KØHB

Contact QCWA ----- http://www.qcwa.org/

Old May 1st 04, 07:40 PM
King Zulu

"KØHB" wrote in message
nk.net...
Contact QCWA ----- http://www.qcwa.org/

And from there, ??? AK

Old May 1st 04, 08:13 PM
KØHB

"King Zulu" wrote

And then ? AK

QCWA has a library of old-timey callbooks. Ask them to look up the call
in that time frame. Or not, if you don't want to --- suit yourself.

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB

Old May 1st 04, 08:34 PM
King Zulu

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"King Zulu" wrote

And then ? AK

QCWA has a library of old-timey callbooks. Ask them to look up the call
in that time frame. Or not, if you don't want to --- suit yourself.

Be glad to, Hans. It just wasn't clear where to go next next once at the
QCWA website.
Thanks, AK -- helping out a neighbor who was a ham a long time ago.

Old May 3rd 04, 02:44 PM
Bruce Anderson

All the information you need can be found on the ARRL web site
http://www.arrl.org/news/restructuring/faq.html
I copied the section on old license proof for you below.

Bruce Anderson
W1LUS
5. What do I need for "documentary proof" of having held my Technician
license before March 21, 1987?

Obviously, if you have an original or a copy of your Technician license
issued anytime prior to March 21, 1987, that would suffice. Other
documentary evidence could include an original CSCE for Element 3 issued
prior to that date; an FCC verification letter of having held a Technician
license prior to March 21, 1987; a document from the FCC's contractor, ITS
Inc; or possibly a Callbook listing dated prior to March 21, 1987,
indicating your license class as Technician.

6. I've lost my old license and didn't keep any copies. How do I get
verification from the FCC that I held a Technician license prior to March
21, 1987?

The FCC says to send any requests for verification of a pre-March 21, 1987
Technician license in writing to FCC, 1270 Fairfield Rd, ATTN: Amateur
Section, Gettysburg, PA 17325. The request must include name, address,
telephone number, date of birth, call sign issued at that time, and when the
Technician license was granted (if exact date is not known, give the
approximate timeframe). The FCC asks those inquiring to include any
information that may be helpful in researching these requests, but it does
not need to know details of the examination session, such as where the test
was administered or who gave it. "These requests must be researched on
microfiche, so they will be very time-consuming," an FCC spokesperson said,
adding that no one should expect an overnight response.

You also may contact ITS Inc. For a fee, ITS will research prior licensing
records and should be able to provide you with the necessary documentary
proof. ITS recommends calling them at 717-337-1433 to place an order for
"verification of a pre-March 21, 1987, amateur license." E-mail requests are
not recommended. The verification letter you receive will be on FCC
stationery and stamped with the FCC seal. The ITS Web site is
http://www.itsdocs.com/.