Old May 2nd 04, 08:33 PM
Paul_Morphy

x-posting to rra.policy removed

"Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" wrote in message

This one is my response. I've also seen cases where a couple of
the ham swaps have been "contaminated" by people selling utterly
unrelated-to-any-electronics-field items, such as stuffed animals and
(God help us) Mary Kay cosmetics. The best possible way to handle such
intrusions is to, simply, vote with your wallet and IGNORE THEM. If such
sellers fail to make money from a given venue, they will no longer set
up at it.

The nice ladies selling adjacent to us at the last hamfest I went to were
flogging embroidery and such like. They gave up after the first day. It was
a few more bucks for the club hosting the event, and maybe somebody bought a
doily to set his HT on at home. I don't think they'll be at the next one.

"PM"

Old May 2nd 04, 08:35 PM
Hammer-tyme

KØHB, I have to agree with you that most "hamfests" in my area (upper
Midwest) are more like "junkfests" or "fleamarkets" these days and I don't
attend as often as I used to. It would be nice if they were to advertise
these as such so at least you would know what to expect. I have not seen
any major equipment dealers at any of the local fests, however, if you need
parts or batteries or the like they are good for that. So, I would have to
say my answer to your poll is A.

Hammertyme

Old May 2nd 04, 09:43 PM
Mike Coslo

At Hamfests I have gone to, the most obese and smelly people have been
those selling the computer junk.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Dave wrote:
D has my vote!

"Hamfest Guy" wrote in message

Hans,

I took the liberty of adding a fourth category (D).

Hamfest Guy

"KØHB" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Hamfests in recent years seem to have become less and less Amateur
Radio, and more and more showcases for crippled trashed out computers,
7-generation-old software, Blockbuster-reject video tapes, and
constantly yammering raffles.

So here's a poll ----

Would you travel 2-hours to support a hamfest which strictly limited
itself to Amateur Radio material (new/used rigs, raw components,
connectors, antennas, Amateur Radio software, radio clubs, radio
retailers, VE sessions, ham radio forums, etc.) and prohibited sales of
non-Amateur Radio items.

___ A. I quit going to hamfests for the reasons you state, but I'd come
back to go to one like this.

___ B. I like the current hamfests, but I'd support one like you
describe too.

___ C. I go to hamfests for all the clapped out computers and X-rated
DVD;s and I ignore the radio stuff, so I wouldn't support what you
describe.

____ D. I would attend hamfests if there was a contest to select the
guy with the greatest body odor, most obese, & stupidest looking
clothing & largest call sign badge.

Vote for one (and only one) choice.

Old May 2nd 04, 09:49 PM
Mike Coslo

Paul_Morphy wrote:

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

Would you travel 2-hours to support a hamfest which strictly limited
itself to Amateur Radio material (new/used rigs, raw components,
connectors, antennas, Amateur Radio software, radio clubs, radio
retailers, VE sessions, ham radio forums, etc.) and prohibited sales of
non-Amateur Radio items.

X B. I like the current hamfests, but I'd support one like you
describe too.

Trouble is, you'd be driving two hours each way to spend one minute at the
hamfest. I think eBay has been the kiss of death for hamfests.

Ebay has hurt hamfests recently for sure. Presumably this will be eased
when the buyers come to their senses, as the sellers are happy to sell
items for more than what they cost new. The bubble will eventually
burst, or we will have proven that inbreeding is more widespread than we
thought.

In the meantime, buy new! It's often cheaper than ebay, and you get a
warrantee!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 2nd 04, 10:57 PM
William

"KØHB" wrote in message link.net...
"Lloyd" wrote

Do you think you can control yourself and limit
your nonesense to one ng at a time?

Not a chance.. Deal with it.

With all kind wishes,

K0HB

PS: WTF is "nonesense"? I am patient with stupidity but not with those
who are proud of it as you are. Please QSY to
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy and enjoy yourself.

Hans, you really have been stirring it up lately. All I can do is get
the usual reactions from the usual suspects. Not at all rewarding.

bb

hamfests? Thomas General 1 April 14th 04 03:40 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1390 ­ April 2, 2004 Radionews General 0 April 4th 04 01:39 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1390 ­ April 2, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 April 4th 04 01:38 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1390 ­ April 2, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 April 4th 04 01:38 AM