Old May 2nd 04, 02:02 AM
KØHB

Default Hamfests?

Hamfests in recent years seem to have become less and less Amateur
Radio, and more and more showcases for crippled trashed out computers,
7-generation-old software, Blockbuster-reject video tapes, and
constantly yammering raffles.

So here's a poll ----

Would you travel 2-hours to support a hamfest which strictly limited
itself to Amateur Radio material (new/used rigs, raw components,
connectors, antennas, Amateur Radio software, radio clubs, radio
retailers, VE sessions, ham radio forums, etc.) and prohibited sales of
non-Amateur Radio items.

___ A. I quit going to hamfests for the reasons you state, but I'd come
back to go to one like this.

___ B. I like the current hamfests, but I'd support one like you
describe too.

___ C. I go to hamfests for all the clapped out computers and X-rated
DVD;s and I ignore the radio stuff, so I wouldn't support what you
describe.

Vote for one (and only one) choice.

Old May 2nd 04, 02:18 AM
garigue

___ B. I like the current hamfests, but I'd support one like you
describe too.

Good question Hans .... I go really for the opportunity to meet with the
fellows one on one ....It is good to see fellow ops in person and the fests
provide that ....however most of the fests are on Sundays and I am tied up
with teaching Sunday School ....you know the job you get asked to take only
for one year in 1974. I find that if I do go later most of the guys leave
early as they snag the "needs" of the day.

73 Tom KI3R Belle Vernon Pa.

Old May 2nd 04, 02:30 AM
KØHB

"Lloyd" wrote

Do you think you can control yourself and limit
your nonesense to one ng at a time?

Not a chance.. Deal with it.

With all kind wishes,

K0HB

PS: WTF is "nonesense"? I am patient with stupidity but not with those
who are proud of it as you are. Please QSY to
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy and enjoy yourself.

Old May 2nd 04, 03:01 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
[...]

I guess I'd have to say B if I had to just answer from your list.

But I don't have a problem with *some* decent computers showing up at
hamfests. My shack has three of them in it, and they are an integral
part of it.

Problem is that too many hamfests appear to have the computers I put
out on the sidewalk for riffraff day.

So I'm really a lot closer to your A answer. I'de really like a lot
more ham related stuff, and less computer junk and Ginsu knives.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 2nd 04, 03:10 AM
Mike Coslo

Mike Coslo wrote:

KØHB wrote:

Hamfests in recent years seem to have become less and less Amateur
Radio, and more and more showcases for crippled trashed out computers,
7-generation-old software, Blockbuster-reject video tapes, and
constantly yammering raffles.

So here's a poll ----
Would you travel 2-hours to support a hamfest which strictly limited
itself to Amateur Radio material (new/used rigs, raw components,
connectors, antennas, Amateur Radio software, radio clubs, radio
retailers, VE sessions, ham radio forums, etc.) and prohibited sales of
non-Amateur Radio items.

And what do the Armenian judges have to say about all this?? ;^)

hehe..... Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 2nd 04, 06:26 AM
Paul_Morphy

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

Would you travel 2-hours to support a hamfest which strictly limited
itself to Amateur Radio material (new/used rigs, raw components,
connectors, antennas, Amateur Radio software, radio clubs, radio
retailers, VE sessions, ham radio forums, etc.) and prohibited sales of
non-Amateur Radio items.

X B. I like the current hamfests, but I'd support one like you
describe too.

Trouble is, you'd be driving two hours each way to spend one minute at the
hamfest. I think eBay has been the kiss of death for hamfests.

73,

"PM"

Old May 2nd 04, 01:37 PM
Dave

D has my vote!

"Hamfest Guy" wrote in message
Hans,

I took the liberty of adding a fourth category (D).

Hamfest Guy

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

____ D. I would attend hamfests if there was a contest to select the
guy with the greatest body odor, most obese, & stupidest looking
clothing & largest call sign badge.

Vote for one (and only one) choice.

Old May 2nd 04, 02:24 PM
tad danley

KØHB wrote:

So here's a poll ----

73,

--
* Do NOT use Reply *

Reply to K3TD via arrl dot net

Tad, K3TD

Old May 2nd 04, 05:47 PM
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article . net,
says...

Hamfests in recent years seem to have become less and less Amateur
Radio, and more and more showcases for crippled trashed out computers,
7-generation-old software, Blockbuster-reject video tapes, and
constantly yammering raffles.

snippety

I disagree. I've been (and continue to go) to several hamfests a
year. Although I have noticed some of the degradation you describe, each
hamfest/swap seems to differ depending on the area it happens in.

Examples: The two major Bay Area (California) swap meets, those
put on monthly by LARK and ASVARO, generally have a high content of
computer hardware and associated items. Granted, much of it is "trashed
out," but there are still Good Things to be found if one is sharp-eyed,
observant, and a good haggler.

Going further north and west: Once you get into Oregon and
Washington, the character of the ham swaps changes drastically, becoming
much more radio and test equipment oriented. I bought both of my service
monitors from vendors at local (to me -- Puget Sound region) swaps, and
I continue, every year, to see lots of assorted radios, both commercial
and made-for-amateur, and some good deals in test gear IN ADDITION TO
the assortments of computer and other goodies.

Anyway... With that said, let's move on to your poll.

So here's a poll ----

Would you travel 2-hours to support a hamfest which strictly limited
itself to Amateur Radio material (new/used rigs, raw components,
connectors, antennas, Amateur Radio software, radio clubs, radio
retailers, VE sessions, ham radio forums, etc.) and prohibited sales of
non-Amateur Radio items.

snippety

___ B. I like the current hamfests, but I'd support one like you
describe too.

This one is my response. I've also seen cases where a couple of
the ham swaps have been "contaminated" by people selling utterly
unrelated-to-any-electronics-field items, such as stuffed animals and
(God help us) Mary Kay cosmetics. The best possible way to handle such
intrusions is to, simply, vote with your wallet and IGNORE THEM. If such
sellers fail to make money from a given venue, they will no longer set
up at it.

I would add that, at least once a year, I make a scrounge run back
to the Bay Area (I grew up there). I never fail to come back with less
than 100 or so pounds of useful goodies as a result.

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT! I have listings on my web site for some
hamfests, and many of the electronic surplus places, on my web site.
Start with the page:

http://www.bluefeathertech.com/technoid/swapindex.html

...And work forward from there.

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Old May 2nd 04, 06:59 PM
KØHB

"Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" wrote

I've also seen cases where a couple of the ham
swaps have been "contaminated" by people selling
utterly unrelated-to-any-electronics-field items,
such as stuffed animals and (God help us) Mary
Kay cosmetics.

There was a story many years ago. A buyer for a major cigarette
distributor was in North Carolina buying several box car loads of
Raleighs. The fellow representing Raleighs shook the buyer's hand and
said, "You won't be sorry. Our formula now calls for 5% tobacco mixed
with 95% horse****."

The buyer looked surprised.

"Heck, give me six more box car loads. I never knew there was any
tobacco in the damn things."

That is just about where the hamfests around here are. We're at 5% and
barely holding. Ham radio related stuff has been diluted to the point
that it is no longer visible without the use of long range optics.

73, de Hans, K0HB

hamfests? Thomas General 1 April 14th 04 03:40 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1390 ­ April 2, 2004 Radionews General 0 April 4th 04 01:39 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1390 ­ April 2, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 April 4th 04 01:38 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1390 ­ April 2, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 April 4th 04 01:38 AM