Old May 8th 04, 07:07 PM
Dave

Default Future of ham radio / CW / SW listening

What do you suppose is the time frame before what we now consider
ham radio 'old world style' is completely gone? I still use CW on a
regular basis, but I notice that I never work anyone younger than myself
(42). That means there are no new-comers to speak of. And I hear
really really bad CW, even in the extra segment of the bands, which tells
me that more and more folks are getting on the air with very little CW
skill - I'm sure it won't be long and there won't be any CW left at all.

But what about radio in general? Shortwave is going digital, and it just
seems to me that it's just a matter of time before SSB, AM, and CW
are all just 'historical modes' and studied with the casual disinterest we
now pay to spark transmitters and coherer detectors.

I give it all 10 years, tops. No more CW heard after that - ham AM will be
gone, AM SW broadcasting will be gone (except for the jesus crowd).

What say you?

Old May 8th 04, 11:32 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...

What do you suppose is the time frame before what we now consider
ham radio 'old world style' is completely gone? I still use CW on a
regular basis, but I notice that I never work anyone younger than myself
(42). That means there are no new-comers to speak of.

I don't think it will ever really go away completely. It will be a legacy
mode forever to some one/groups. Just like AM phone is today. And as long
as ham radio is on HF, it will be there.

I have run into several young people that are into CW. One recently that
was Extra at 11, and is now running serious CW. She got ahold of me on the
internet for a sked for this state (AL) that she needed for 5BWAS.

About a year ago I chatted with another young lady on CW. A college
student.

There out there. But I agree, its is slowly going to drop way off.

And I hear
really really bad CW, even in the extra segment of the bands, which tells
me that more and more folks are getting on the air with very little CW
skill - I'm sure it won't be long and there won't be any CW left at all.

Well that shows me they are trying, and willing to put it to use. That is
a GOOD THING to me.
But....I really think they should do it out of the low end of the bands.

Old May 9th 04, 01:49 AM
Hamguy

With the likes of Bruce WA8ULX, do you blame them?

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
nk.net...

news.com...

Old May 9th 04, 02:13 AM
Dave

With the likes of Bruce WA8ULX, do you blame them?

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

I don't know who that is, nor do I care. That's another thing that is SO
OLD in the newsgroups - the endless flamewars between 2 or 3 parties.
They somehow find a way to rage against each other in almost every thread
there is. Hard to believe folks like that are hams in the first place.

That's part of the reason I stick to CW - I find that the folks who ragchew
at 13 WPM are a lot less cranky than some of the nitwits I hear on 75.

But just my 2000 milli-cents.

Dave

Old May 9th 04, 02:15 AM
Dave

I don't think it will ever really go away completely. It will be a legacy
mode forever to some one/groups. Just like AM phone is today. And as

long
as ham radio is on HF, it will be there.

Yeah, you're probably right. I think to a large extent it's already getting
that
way. I notice the same folks on the bands much more so than when I was a
kid. I almost never ran into the same ham ever again. But now I can almost
every night hear someone I have have worked. So yes, the pool of 'diehards'
is there!

I have run into several young people that are into CW. One recently that
was Extra at 11, and is now running serious CW. She got ahold of me on

the
internet for a sked for this state (AL) that she needed for 5BWAS.

Wow! That's great. More power to her.

Dave