Old July 4th 04, 11:08 PM
Jeff

Default Strange Antenna in old 73 magazine ?

Hi,
Does anyone remember a weird compact antenna that was featured in a 60's (or
early 70's) edition of "73" magazine. Had 2 etched PCBs (like spaced plates)
mounted inside a plastic bucket, and fed with coax?
Does anyone know more details of this?
JEFF
ZL3TNV

Old July 5th 04, 02:39 AM
JohnJacobJingleHimerSchmidt

Was it in the April issue? A lot of "fools" fell for such articles in
73 Magazine, Hi.
One such antenna was to be buried under ground then the "polarity" of
the radiated
wave would be "inverted". ;-)

There are a few who experiment with "EH" antennas, where a coil is
placed in coffee cans,
spaced at different intervals for the band the antenna is to be used.
http://www.qsl.net/w0kph/can.html

JJJHS

Old July 5th 04, 04:47 AM
Rob Mills

"Jeff" wrote in message

Does anyone remember a weird compact antenna that was featured in a

60's

I recall one in a publication (S9) aimed at CB'ers back in the 60's. It used
printed circuit boards as you mentioned but also incorporated a nice husky
resistor that turned the critter into a dummy load. The article didn't fess
up that it was an April fool joke until the next issue. Wonder how many fell
for it? RM~

Old July 5th 04, 04:54 AM
Rob Mills

"Groom Lake" wrote in message
In posted on Mon, 5

I believe it might have been one of Kneitel's humor pieces.

Your memory is better than mine on the details but you've got it. If I
recall their were a lot of disgruntled readers. RM~

Old July 5th 04, 07:15 AM
Rob Mills

"Groom Lake" wrote in message
In Message-ID:9i4Gc.1747$%w5.1570@okepread05 posted on Sun, 4 Jul 2004

Latter when the Browning labs introducedtheir "Eagle" series, I often

wondered why the TR switch they used was configured to produce that feedback
ping,

Ok, I'll fess up; I had the eagles but mine refused to ping after I built a
Wayne Green circuit (I think he nick named it the "Mule Box") which was a
clamp tube circuit that ran the Brownies double sideband reduced carrier. It
drove the locals nuts watching their s meters going nuts. I wasn't much into
gab but enjoyed tinkering with the equipment more than gabbing on them so
soon sold out except for a CB I used in the truck. I drove an 18 for a
living and retired in 84 and haven't keyed anything since. RM~

Old July 5th 04, 09:26 AM
RHF

JJJHS,

"EH Antennas" eGroup on YAHOO !

"EH Antenna Users" eGroup on YAHOO !

"E-H Antenna Builders & Users" eGroup on YAHOO !

"WTAL Fans" eGroup on YAHOO !
The EH antenna has exceptional promise. It is about 10' in
diameter, requires no extensive underground radials, uses
approximately 75% less energy and is more efficient.

WebSite with Tools and Tips to Assist "EH" Antenna Design & Building
http://www.eh-antenna.com/EH_Antenna_Tools_and_Tips.htm
http://www.geocities.com/ke0vh/eh
http://www.qsl.net/vk5br/EHAntennaTheory.htm
http://www.eh-antenna.se/

That's My Name Too ~ RHF
LYRICS= http://www.walkthroughlife.com/midis...jjhschmidt.htm
MUSIC= http://www.walkthroughlife.com/midis...idis/jjjhs.mid
SONGS= http://www.walkthroughlife.com/midis/kidsmidis/
http://www.backyardgardener.com/loowit/song/song48.html
http://www.backyardgardener.com/loowit/janeellen.html
http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/johnjacob.html
NIH= http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/john.htm
NIEHS-INDEX= http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/music.htm#index
..
..

Old July 5th 04, 09:31 AM
RHF

= = = "Jeff" wrote in message
= = = ...
Hi,
Does anyone remember a weird compact antenna that was featured in a 60's (or
early 70's) edition of "73" magazine. Had 2 etched PCBs (like spaced plates)
mounted inside a plastic bucket, and fed with coax?
Does anyone know more details of this?
JEFF
ZL3TNV

..

JEFF [ZL3TNV]

You may wish to try posting this same question 'separately'
on the: "Rec.Radio.Amateur.Antenna" NewsGroup.

RRAA= http://tinyurl.com/2hlw7
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.radio.amateur.antenna

hth ~ RHF

..
Old July 5th 04, 08:19 PM
Mike Coslo

Groom Lake wrote:

In Message-ID:Kl6Gc.1758$%w5.429@okepread05 posted on Mon, 5 Jul 2004
01:15:08 -0500, Rob Mills wrote:

I wasn't much into
gab but enjoyed tinkering with the equipment more than gabbing on them so
soon sold out except for a CB I used in the truck. I drove an 18 for a
living and retired in 84 and haven't keyed anything since. RM~

Back in '66 I put one of those (pre-bucket brigade) delay boxes* with a
spring and two transducers in line with my audio and some of the locals
thought the echo was due to the enormous power level, similar to 15
meter multipath, rather than just a precursor to today's echo-mike.
*note - those delay boxes were more commonly used in conjunction with
automotive 8-track players, and would make that distinctive boing effect
whenever you hit a pothole or crossed the tracks too fast. ;-)

Well, since the topic is shifting, can anyone tell me what the echo is
supposed to do? in my travels, with my CB on, I can "hear" people with
echo mic's and I'll be darned if I can hear them well at all. Now echo
AND way overmodulated, now there's the ticket to complete
unintelligibility! (is that a word?)

- Mike -