Old July 8th 04, 02:21 AM
Minnie Bannister

Default FYI: Vanity Call fee going up in August

The fee for a Vanity Call will rise on August 6 from $16.30 to $20.80.
This is for a 10-year license.

The latest ARRL Bulletin cites

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-04-146A1.doc

but I don't do M$Word, so I am taking the ARRL's word for it.

Alan AB2OS

Old July 8th 04, 08:43 AM
me

Alan,

You can download OpenOffice from OpenOffice.org which is FREE of charge and
the client will allow you to view as well as create a .doc file.

Ciao,

Me

Old July 8th 04, 03:56 PM
Burp not Burr

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in message
The fee for a Vanity Call will rise on August 6 from $16.30 to $20.80.
This is for a 10-year license.

Doing the math, that comes out to about $2.08
per year, or 0.0057 CENTS per-day over the
course of a 10-Year period...........

How much do you wanna bet however that the
average traditionally el-cheapo ham radio operator
will ****-and-moan like a stuck pig over a 0.0057
Cent-per-day fee...??? (my guess is alot will !)

For example, I was selling at a hamfest in Pa last
month. Had a shoebox full of miniature tubes for
$1.00 each. A real bargain considering tubes are
going for much more on e-Bay. This putz comes
walking up, digs thru the box for 2 minutes and pulls
out *one* tube and wants it for 35 cents. I was willing
to let it go for 75 cents but he wants it for 35 cents.
No deal. He puts it back (tosses it) and gets all
smart-ass saying "you'll sell it to me later for 35 Cents."
The schmuck comes back 1/2 hour later digs it out
and asks for it for 35 Cents again. I say OK, offer to
wrap it, he hands it to me and while he's reachin for his
35 cents, I dropped the tube on the ground and smashed
it with my trusty Nike, then told him I changed my mind
and wanted $1.00 for it. This putz goes completely nuts saying
he's looked all over 4 hamfests for this tube and he
couldn't believe I smashed it. Jumpin up and down like a looney
and me quietly hoping he would have a stroke right there
as he must have weighed 300 pounds. A real "Eddie Slobbo"
fer sure - baaaaaa hahahahah!! I just laughed and offered
him a pleasant balance of the afternoon.

After he left the dealers either side of me were almost teary-eyed
laughing at the spectacle of this event, and we each shared a Pepsi
from my trusty Coleman cooler and had a nice late-lunch at the
pizza hut afterwards.

El-Cheapo hams....always too much FUN to pass up
the opportunity to poke'em-with-a-stick thru the
monkey bars !! : ) : ) : )

Old July 8th 04, 06:12 PM
Frank Dresser

"Burp not Burr" wrote in message
groups.com...

[snip]

For example, I was selling at a hamfest in Pa last
month. Had a shoebox full of miniature tubes for
$1.00 each. A real bargain considering tubes are
going for much more on e-Bay. This putz comes
walking up, digs thru the box for 2 minutes and pulls
out *one* tube and wants it for 35 cents. I was willing
to let it go for 75 cents but he wants it for 35 cents.

Oh, tell us more!! Was the tube a 7060?

No deal. He puts it back (tosses it) and gets all
smart-ass saying "you'll sell it to me later for 35 Cents."
The schmuck comes back 1/2 hour later digs it out
and asks for it for 35 Cents again. I say OK, offer to
wrap it,

Wrap it? Isn't that nice. A hamfest tube! The gift that keeps on giving!

he hands it to me and while he's reachin for his
35 cents, I dropped the tube on the ground and smashed
it with my trusty Nike, then told him I changed my mind
and wanted $1.00 for it.

Oh -- oh -- oh!!! Please say the tube was a 1L6!!! That would be soooooo
coooool!!

This putz goes completely nuts saying
he's looked all over 4 hamfests for this tube and he
couldn't believe I smashed it. Jumpin up and down like a looney
and me quietly hoping he would have a stroke right there
as he must have weighed 300 pounds. A real "Eddie Slobbo"
fer sure - baaaaaa hahahahah!! I just laughed and offered
him a pleasant balance of the afternoon.

Sorry, this is where credibility of the story gets weak. The image of a fat
guy buying fat tubes is much more beliveable. Next time, bust up a good 50
or even a NOS S-bulb 80.

After he left the dealers either side of me were almost teary-eyed
laughing at the spectacle of this event, and we each shared a Pepsi
from my trusty Coleman cooler and had a nice late-lunch at the
pizza hut afterwards.

El-Cheapo hams....always too much FUN to pass up
the opportunity to poke'em-with-a-stick thru the
monkey bars !! : ) : ) : )

Hey! That's also the troll's credo!!!

Frank Dresser

Old July 8th 04, 08:24 PM
JJ

[...]

Just curious, what was the tube type?

Old July 8th 04, 08:45 PM
Frank Dresser

"LA Runabout" wrote in message

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

And another ham gives another troll attention.

Well done sir! Yet another link in the troll chain!!

By the way, I'm not a ham.

Errrr, get your
"Amplifier Sticker" on your driver's license yet?

What's an "Amplifier Sticker" and why would I want one?

Oh, now I get it. You're telling me that my powers as a Master of the
Obvious pale beside yours.

I admit defeat.

Frank Dresser

Old July 8th 04, 09:47 PM
garigue

The schmuck comes back 1/2 hour later digs it out
and asks for it for 35 Cents again. I say OK, offer to
wrap it, he hands it to me and while he's reachin for his
35 cents, I dropped the tube on the ground and smashed
it with my trusty Nike, then told him I changed my mind
and wanted $1.00 for it.

Good one ..... I've been involved in this hobby, service, endeavor, passion
or whatever for 40 years plus. It is always an amazement to me the cheap-Os
that are out there that want something for nothing or near it. OTOH I have
met a lot of nice people who would bend over backwards to give me parts for
nothing for my projects. That is the ham spirit at work and those are the
ones that I remember after all these years.

God Bless 73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Old July 8th 04, 09:58 PM
garigue

And another ham gives another troll attention.

Even if the tube story is false .....the true nature of a lot of hams show
through. I have been at fests where rediculous conversations of this type
ensued. True greed .... guys would scam parts to fill their private
warehouse only to fullfill their obsesive compulsive disorder .... I read
with a grin the crap I see that goes on in E-Bay and the lists. I have seen
old ladies who have been super scammed by supposed friends of their deceased
husbands for equipment. The one fellow I really agree with is the one who
is getting buried with his mint Collins station ....he is taking it with
him.

God Bless ....73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa

Old July 9th 04, 01:39 AM
JJ

garigue wrote:

Good one ..... I've been involved in this hobby, service, endeavor, passion
or whatever for 40 years plus. It is always an amazement to me the cheap-Os
that are out there that want something for nothing or near it. OTOH I have
met a lot of nice people who would bend over backwards to give me parts for
nothing for my projects. That is the ham spirit at work and those are the
ones that I remember after all these years.

God Bless 73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

I had a similar experience several years ago. I went to the local
once-a-month ham radio sidewalk sale and had a really clean, nice
working Hallicrafters S-40 for sale. This guy walks up and offers me $25
less than what I was asking. I refused. He said I would never get the
asking price and would be lucky to get what he was offering. I said if
it did not sell, HamCom was comming up in a couple of weeks and the
price there would be even higher. He stomped off but came back a few
minutes later and lays down the amount he offered and picked up the
radio. I ask just what the H did he think he was doing. "I am buying the
radio". I informed him that my asking price still stood and please put
the radio back and take his money and go somewhere else. Now he is
really POed.
Well as luck would have it he saw the radio at my table at HamCom marked
up at almost twice what I was asking at the sidewalk sale. He looked it
over and walked away only to come back about an hour later, with money
in had, to find the set was gone and asked if I had sold it. "Yep" I
smiled, "and at the asking price too". Doncha just luv these clowns?