Old November 10th 04, 01:44 AM
Tom H.

Default repeater squelch tone question

Hello all,
If a repeater requires a squelch tone for access, will it also transmit the
same squelch tone?

TIA,
Tom

Old November 10th 04, 02:06 AM
LRod

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:44:26 GMT, "Tom H."
wrote:

Hello all,
If a repeater requires a squelch tone for access, will it also transmit the
same squelch tone?

It might, but it doesn't have to. Depends on how the repeater is set
up.

There are all sorts of combinations. There was one repeater in the
area I used to live in that had both carrier and tone access
capabilities. If the repeater was accessed by tone it would retransmit
a tone (can't remember if they used the same or different). If it was
accessed without tone, it wouldn't transmit tone.

Another repeater would transmit a brief tone if the repeater was
double keyed before the timer reset. It allowed users to monitor
on-hook without hearing QSOs in progress but their receivers would go
off-hook when breaking stations came into the conversation. This had
nothing to do with transmitted tone, however. At the time the repeater
was carrier access.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Old November 10th 04, 06:07 PM
Tom H.

Rod,
Thanks for the information. Based on your info, I contacted a person (from
a website link) that covers a particular repeater that I was interested in
and found out that that repeated in fact does transmit a tone. The reason
he gave for that particular repeater was that it is in an urban environment
where there might be other traffic on the repeater frequency.

Tom

Old November 10th 04, 06:19 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Our repeater does not require PL to access, It does however transmit 107.2
Hz for the purposes of using the auto patch.
Autopatch is for members only.
..
Reason for no PL for access is we want it open to visitors to the area. That
way they don't have to fiddle with setting PL while driving. It is a high
level machine and the area gets lots of vacationers, biz folks, and
tourists.
Another of our repeaters does require PL and transmits PL -- the access PL
prevents interference to another repeater.
The transmitted PL is again for purposes of autopatch -- (for members only).

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

HELP: 2 Meter Repearter intermod from 2 Pager transmitters near repeater site Photoman Equipment 12 December 22nd 04 07:17 PM
HELP: 2 Meter Repearter intermod from 2 Pager transmitters near repeater site Photoman Equipment 0 December 21st 04 02:48 AM
Repeater access tone Fred General 2 June 28th 04 12:32 AM
WTB: UT-84 Icom Tone Squelch Ed Mellnik Equipment 0 September 28th 03 10:53 PM
WTB: UT-84 Icom Tone Squelch Ed Mellnik Equipment 0 September 28th 03 10:53 PM