Old December 7th 04, 02:52 PM

Dave Bushong wrote:
Don wrote:
I have a 2 meter radio. Been thinking of getting into 10 meters.

How
des 10 meters work? I mean can it be used to reliable talk to

people a
couple of states away or is it like am radio where reception in

iffy
and you can only during certain times?

I mean, If there is someone one state away I want to talk to can I

any
time of day?

Is this band more "fun" than 2 meters?

Hey Don,

Good question. You are looking at things the right way. My friends

are
tired of hearing me say that "ham radio is a hundred hobbies in one"

but
it is true. If you get tired or bored of one part of the hobby,

there
are 99 other parts of ham radio out there just waiting for you.

How about answering these questions for me:

1: Do you already have a 10-meter radio?
2: Do you have room for a dipole antenna? Around 16 feet long
3: Are you licensed now? If so, does your license include 10-meter
privileges?
4: Do you know of a ham who lives near you who could show you what
he/she has on HF?
5: What do you know about 6 meters? Do you have any interest in that

band (it's awfully fun also)?

Feel free to answer me, either directly by email, or by posting back

this newsgroup.

And whatever you do, give us all an update here when you make a

decision.

All the best, and 73,
Dave
KZ1O

How would I e-mail you?

Old December 8th 04, 01:59 PM

When I email to that address it says "undeliverable"?

Thanks for responding to my posting. I am new to ham. I have a 2 meter
radio mobile. I have been thinking of getting naother one. Is it better
to use base or mobile? Have also been thinking of getting into HF. Is
this more "fun" than 2 meters.

On another issue I have a little room to make a small base station in
my bonus room upstairs. I have a 20 feet or so tower with my tv antenna
on it. Can I mount a 2 or 10 meter antenna on this tower?
I appreciate your advice!

Old December 8th 04, 06:11 PM
J999w

Personally, I find anything more fun than 2m fm, but that's just me.

I say go for it.

Just about time you're ready to throw the thing in the garbage because there
aren't many stations on right now, BANG!, you'll talk to someone in California
that's breaking your speaker ... then someone in Columbia, South America. Then
there will be a contest, and it will blow your mind just how many stations you
can work.
That's fun !

Start off with a CB antenna, or wire dipole and keep checking the band. We're
at the bottom of the solar cycle, so there aren't many stations on, but there
are some. As the sunspots increase, more and more stations can be worked and by
then you'll have the knack of it and you'll be hooked. I recall when I first
got on 10m, I had a Drake C line running 100w and a used 4 element beam up on
the roof of the house turned with an old TV antenna rotator pulled from the
trash.. I had the radio at the foot of my bed, and I remember sitting on the
end of my bed, talking to a TON of Japanese stations that were so loud, I
could hear the dog barking in the background, or their doorbell ringing.

That hooked me!

Go for it.

jw
k9rzz
milwaukee
Old December 8th 04, 07:12 PM

Is the sunspot cycle going up now? When will it be at it's peak?
Can I make an antenna and put on my tv tower?

Old December 8th 04, 07:12 PM

Old December 8th 04, 08:37 PM
J999w

Is the sunspot cycle going up now? When will it be at it's peak?
Can I make an antenna and put on my tv tower?

I don't think we're at the bottom yet, but no one will know that until they
look at the graphs after the fact.

Your TV tower would be a great place for your antenna, keep it a few feet away
from the TV antenna though.

FYI, the ARRL 10 meter contest is this comming weekend, so if you have a
receiver that's capable of listening to 28mhz, you'll get a taste of what it
has to offer, there will be a TON of activity.

jw
k9rzz
Old December 8th 04, 09:32 PM
Serious Poster

The solar cycle is going down -- see URL:
http://www.dxlc.com/solar/solcycle.html

Cycle 23 started in May 1996 with the monthly SSN at 8.0 and peaked in April
2000 at 120.8.
The next solar minimum will likely occur sometime in 2006 with cycle 24
peaking in 2010.

Yes you can make your own antenna and put it on the TV tower -- just keep it
away from the TV antenna to avoid interaction.

Yes u can build your own antenna See Antenna calculator at URL:
http://ac3l.com/antenna.htm

--
I post, therefore I am

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is the sunspot cycle going up now? When will it be at it's peak?
Can I make an antenna and put on my tv tower?

SWR meter calibration question - hooked up backwards? Ken Bessler Equipment 5 November 27th 04 04:44 PM
SWR meter calibration question - hooked up backwards? Ken Bessler Antenna 0 November 27th 04 02:18 PM
Colinear 2 meter antenna question Ken Bessler Antenna 3 November 19th 04 04:21 AM
inline swr meter question RB Antenna 2 June 26th 04 10:16 PM
inline swr meter question RB Antenna 0 June 26th 04 09:25 PM