Old December 3rd 04, 03:37 PM
Don

Default Nebie 10 meter question

I have a 2 meter radio. Been thinking of getting into 10 meters. How
des 10 meters work? I mean can it be used to reliable talk to people a
couple of states away or is it like am radio where reception in iffy
and you can only during certain times?

I mean, If there is someone one state away I want to talk to can I any
time of day?

Is this band more "fun" than 2 meters?
Old December 3rd 04, 04:31 PM
Noise From Afar

You need to get a good book on propagation. See the ARRL site for these
Radio Propagation -- Principles & Practice

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/index.ph...26+Propagation

But a brief freebee can be found at URL:
http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/wav...ropagation.htm

--
ruido de icógnito

om...

Old December 3rd 04, 06:18 PM
KØHB

"Don" wrote

Is this band more "fun" than 2 meters?

Yes!

On a 24/7 basis it has better ground-wave range than 2 meters, simply because it
isn't limited to line-of-sight. With a reasonably good antenna (dipole, ground
plane) and 100W a range of around 100 miles is typical.

But the real fun begins when the ionosphere cooperates --- then worldwide
communications is possible. I have 271 countries worked on 10 meters, and my
station is in the "Joe Tribander on a city lot" category.

Come on down!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 3rd 04, 08:39 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-12-03, Don wrote:
I have a 2 meter radio. Been thinking of getting into 10 meters. How
des 10 meters work? I mean can it be used to reliable talk to people a
couple of states away or is it like am radio where reception in iffy
and you can only during certain times?

I mean, If there is someone one state away I want to talk to can I any
time of day?

Is this band more "fun" than 2 meters?

I do not intend this to be insulting, but from the way you asked the
question, I have to wonder if you actually have a valid amateur radio
license, that allows you to transmit on 10 meters.

Anyway --
most of the questions you asked can be only answered by "it depends".

"a couple of states away" can be a long distance if you live in the center
of Nebraska, but a much shorter distance if you live in Rhode Island.

A lot of distance can be achieved on 2 meters -- during a good band opening.
Propagation has a lot to do with how far a signal wil travel.

As for more "fun" -- that depends on what you like to do.

--
Alex / AB2RC
Linux is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly.
Old December 3rd 04, 09:12 PM
KØHB

"AB2RC" wrote

I do not intend this to be insulting, but from the way you asked the
question, I have to wonder .....

Regardless of intent, it WAS insulting.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 3rd 04, 10:48 PM
Dave Bushong

Don wrote:
I have a 2 meter radio. Been thinking of getting into 10 meters. How
des 10 meters work? I mean can it be used to reliable talk to people a
couple of states away or is it like am radio where reception in iffy
and you can only during certain times?

I mean, If there is someone one state away I want to talk to can I any
time of day?

Is this band more "fun" than 2 meters?

Hey Don,

Good question. You are looking at things the right way. My friends are
tired of hearing me say that "ham radio is a hundred hobbies in one" but
it is true. If you get tired or bored of one part of the hobby, there
are 99 other parts of ham radio out there just waiting for you.

How about answering these questions for me:

1: Do you already have a 10-meter radio?
2: Do you have room for a dipole antenna? Around 16 feet long
3: Are you licensed now? If so, does your license include 10-meter
privileges?
4: Do you know of a ham who lives near you who could show you what
he/she has on HF?
5: What do you know about 6 meters? Do you have any interest in that
band (it's awfully fun also)?

Feel free to answer me, either directly by email, or by posting back to
this newsgroup.

And whatever you do, give us all an update here when you make a decision.

All the best, and 73,
Dave
KZ1O
Old December 4th 04, 02:11 AM
whoever

According to DEE D, You now have to get the now you're talking book
written be Dick Bash in 1967 and relearn all of the novice privileges!

Old December 4th 04, 04:06 PM
Spike

From "Old Timer." Ten meters was at one
time the real "fun" band. Seventy-five was
the kilowatt-corner band, and one almost
needed an invite to be accepted. However,
for ten meters one started by building a tri-
tet oscillator with a war-surplus crystal and
quadrupled to ten. It was used for ground
wave, and could always be counted on for
surprising skip results. My first ten meter rig
was powered by the automobile vibrator
power supply and probably ran less than
five watts input. My antenna was an old
automobile antenna. That's how some hams
operated in those days. I recall one QSO
with an Aussie with that rig. The receiver
was a surplus ARC-5 with the receiver
oscillator and RF coils rewound. It converted
ten meter signals to the broadcast band
automobile receiver A.M. band. Now there
are repeaters on the ten-meter band and with
a little acquaintance with propagation fundamentals
you can have fun around the world. '73s W6BWY

Old December 5th 04, 06:55 PM
Dave Bushong

Spike wrote:
From "Old Timer." Ten meters was at one
[...]

Spike,

Man, that takes me back. And what about when the 11-year cycle is at
its peak???!!! You can work the world on a peanut whistle and a wet string.

There is a 10-meter repeater in this area (w1oj) that is occasionally
linked to a popular 2-meter repeater. I've heard guys who otherwise
could not get on HF who use the set up to regularly work guys all over
Europe. I know of three of them who upgraded to General because they
had no idea how much fun HF could be until they tried this!

Dave
kz1o
Old December 7th 04, 03:51 PM

Dave Bushong wrote:
Don wrote:
[...]

How would I e-mail you?

SWR meter calibration question - hooked up backwards? Ken Bessler Equipment 5 November 27th 04 05:44 PM
SWR meter calibration question - hooked up backwards? Ken Bessler Antenna 0 November 27th 04 03:18 PM
Colinear 2 meter antenna question Ken Bessler Antenna 3 November 19th 04 05:21 AM
inline swr meter question RB Antenna 2 June 26th 04 10:16 PM
inline swr meter question RB Antenna 0 June 26th 04 09:25 PM