Old December 16th 04, 04:23 AM
KØHB

Default Problem for boaters and APRS?

A friend sent me the link below. At first I thought it had to be an April Fool
joke, but apparently The Shrub really IS that stupid!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nati...58c48975 9881

Old December 16th 04, 05:52 AM

K=D8HB wrote:
A friend sent me the link below. At first I thought it had to be an

April Fool
joke, but apparently The Shrub really IS that stupid!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nati...lites.html?ex=
=3D1104168601&ei=3D1&en=3D4e6b58c489759881

Asinine beyond belief. I'm thinking maybe I should trash my 300 page
National Georgraphic world atlas before Kerik catches me with it. But
QRX a minnit, there's some new incoming stuff about Kerick . .

Old December 21st 04, 12:22 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
A friend sent me the link below. At first I thought it had to be an

April Fool
joke, but apparently The Shrub really IS that stupid!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nati...lites.html?ex=
=3D1104168601&ei=3D1&en=3D4e6b58c489759881

Check this one:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6728968/

"Military weapons system"? Myabe in 1985. This is not 1985. Heh.=20

w3rv

Old December 21st 04, 08:22 PM
bb

"""Military weapons system"? Myabe in 1985. This is not 1985. Heh.
w3rv"""

Wonder when the B-52 was built?

Old December 21st 04, 10:53 PM

bb wrote:
"""Military weapons system"? Myabe in 1985. This is not 1985. Heh.
w3rv"""

Wonder when the B-52 was built?

Burke I just gotta give you an A+ for all the effort you put into
tossing out the most irrelevant posts in this NG and making sure all we
all know that you're the Commander of the Village Idiots.

Sir.

w3rv

Old December 22nd 04, 06:22 AM

K=D8HB wrote:
A friend sent me the link below. At first I thought it had to be an

April Fool
joke, but apparently The Shrub really IS that stupid!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nati...lites.html?ex=
=3D1104168601&ei=3D1&en=3D4e6b58c489759881

Like I been saying . . .

w3rv

Old December 22nd 04, 03:15 PM
KØHB

wrote

Like I been saying . . .

"By the end of the decade, a global independent
satellite navigation system, under civil control, will
be available to all."

but..... but..... Brain said it's supposed to be a "weapons system"!?!?

Not to worry, the Shrub will send up some B58's to bomb them out of the sky.

dit dit

de Hans, K0HB

Old December 22nd 04, 07:20 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
wrote

Like I been saying . . .

"By the end of the decade, a global independent
satellite navigation system, under civil control, will
be available to all."

but..... but..... Brain said it's supposed to be a "weapons

system"!?!?

He specializes in cluelessness and being bass ackward. Along with a few
others around here. Fact is that GPS has grown far beyond it's original
design purpose and into another example of the old "swords into
plowshares" phenomenon Micollis likes to cite. Back when integrated
circuit chips were developed as part of the 1960s race for the moon
there were nitwits who wanted them kept secret for "national security
purposes". Flat Earth Society mindsets.

Not to worry, the Shrub will send up some B58's to bomb them out of

the sky.

The Russsians and the Chinese would would "get up in arms" if anything
like that went down. literally. Since they'll own big pieces of our
beloved "GPS weapons system".
dit dit

Right on.=20
=20
de Hans, K0HB

w3rv

Old December 22nd 04, 08:04 PM

Homer wrote:
"The Shrub" as you call him is entirely right in what he does as
commander-in-chief, no where in the CFRs nor the Constitution is

there an
implied right that GPS belongs to all the peoples of the world.
The system was funded with DOD monies and is used by the general

public at
the discretion of the controlling agency, namely the U.S. Air Force.

Homer I have a couple clues for you. Those "DoD monies" came from us
taxpayers. The Constitution sez that anything the military does with
OUR money in this country is ultimately done under the command and
control of us taxpayers via our representatives in Congress, the Oval
Office and in the courts. In other words it's US who "own" the GPS
system, NOT the USAF. GPS has proven to have a huge range of public
benefits which is why the USAF is being relieved of command of the
system and is why it's being moved into the public domain. Globally.

The Shrub doesn't undestand a lotta things. GPS is one, Arabs is
another . .

I guess everyone will have to negivate the way it was done for many

years by
map and compass.

Nah, I liked the GPS rcvr I carried when I flitting around in my
ultralight 14-15 years ago. I didn't worry about any maps, compasses or
any of that old crap, all I had to do to get back to the rwy was tap
the "get home" button and keep the LCD needle centered.

If Kerry ("The Idiot") was in office he would most certainly do the

same
thing in the same situation.

So quit bitchin' and go buy a compass and topograpical map to find

out where
in hell you are at.

duh! Homer

"Duh" is right . . connect some dots dude.

k.net...

Old December 22nd 04, 10:30 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
wrote

Like I been saying . . .

"By the end of the decade, a global independent
satellite navigation system, under civil control, will
be available to all."

but..... but..... Brain said it's supposed to be a "weapons

system"!?!?

Not to worry, the Shrub will send up some B58's to bomb them out of

the sky.

dit dit

de Hans, K0HB

Here's another piece of it: It has taken *bloody forever* for the FAA
to finally even alow GPS to be used for navigation in the skies. I was
using it before before my hangermate who had a nice old Cessna 140 was
allowed to have a GPS xvcr anywhere in the 140 during flight ops never
mind in his panel. I was legal because my ultralight was not a
certificated A/C, his 140 is certificated. Somebody had to be on the
leading edge. Heh. Thus it was in the early 1990s.

It's all changed now. Commercial GPS airliner navigation has enormous
implications as they relate to a reduction in fuel consumption and
flight durations. Has to do with the airliners FINALLY being able to
get off the twisted 1930s Victor airways system and it's archaic and
expensive-to-maintain FAA ground-mounted electronic waypoints, omnis,
VORs, etc. and instead fly point-to-point via GPS. I'm rattling on too
much here.

It's happening, precision GPS is coming to the airline biz, bye-bye
omnis, FAA jobs, whatever. It's all about money.

Let's say that at some given moment a few years out after GPS has
become the nav aid of choice and that there are 20 airliners jammed
with citizens on final in cruddy WX and some intellectual giant like
Rumsfeld shuts off the pieces of GPS the pilots are using to find the
runway . .

w3rv