Old July 28th 03, 05:02 AM
Dick

Default APRS Linked Repeaters

I am just starting to explore the world of APRS, so I am feeling my
way along here. As I understand from reading the manuals for the
TinyTrak and MIC-E tnc's, there are repeaters that can extract the
APRS tone burst when making a voice contact on a normal repeater and
rebroadcast it into the APRS system. I assume it would be like a
digipeater on 144.39.

Dick - W6CCD

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 03:26:52 GMT, Dana Myers K6JQ
wrote:

Dick wrote:
How can I find a list of 2-meter repeaters that link to the APRS
network? I looked in the ARRL repeater guide, but didn't see any
reference to APRS.

I'm curious what this means. Do you mean APRS stations that
link to each other?

Dana K6JQ

Old July 28th 03, 05:16 AM
Dick

Findu only finds APRS stations transmitting on the system. You can
find me on there. I am looking for voice repeaters that cross-link
into the APRS digipeater system.

Dick - W6CCD

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:13:22 -0700, "Elmer E Ing"
wrote:

Info at URL:
http://findu.com/tech.html

"Dana Myers K6JQ" wrote in message
ws.com...

Old July 28th 03, 06:13 AM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article , Dick says...

How can I find a list of 2-meter repeaters that link to the APRS
network? I looked in the ARRL repeater guide, but didn't see any
reference to APRS.

If you had seen any, it'd be a good trick, considering that no
repeater I've ever heard of links to APRS.

Now, if you're talking Echolink, that's a different game entirely.

http://www.king.igs.net/~karc/modes/echolink.htm

Good hunting.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Old July 28th 03, 06:15 AM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article , Dick says...

I am just starting to explore the world of APRS, so I am feeling my
way along here. As I understand from reading the manuals for the
TinyTrak and MIC-E tnc's, there are repeaters that can extract the
APRS tone burst when making a voice contact on a normal repeater and
rebroadcast it into the APRS system. I assume it would be like a
digipeater on 144.39.

The capability to do so may exist, but it's another question
entirely as to whether anyone has actually taken advantage of it.

My understanding of APRS is that it is simplex-only, with a
nationwide frequency of 144.3900. No voice repeaters are involved. It's
all data.

If this has changed, I would be as curious as you as to what
happened, and when.

73 de KC7GR

Old July 28th 03, 08:38 AM
Roger Barker

In article , Dick
writes
I am just starting to explore the world of APRS, so I am feeling my
way along here. As I understand from reading the manuals for the
TinyTrak and MIC-E tnc's, there are repeaters that can extract the
APRS tone burst when making a voice contact on a normal repeater and
rebroadcast it into the APRS system. I assume it would be like a
digipeater on 144.39.

What you are talking about is described in MIC-E.TXT, which is one of
the documents distributed by WB4APR with his DOS APRS package. I think
it was originally written about 10 years ago.

From the comments being made, it sounds like you folks over there never
implemented the idea?

--
Roger Barker, G4IDE -
For UI-View go to -
Old July 28th 03, 08:38 AM
Roger Barker

In article , Dick
writes
I am just starting to explore the world of APRS, so I am feeling my
way along here. As I understand from reading the manuals for the
TinyTrak and MIC-E tnc's, there are repeaters that can extract the
APRS tone burst when making a voice contact on a normal repeater and
rebroadcast it into the APRS system. I assume it would be like a
digipeater on 144.39.

What you are talking about is described in MIC-E.TXT, which is one of
the documents distributed by WB4APR with his DOS APRS package. I think
it was originally written about 10 years ago.

From the comments being made, it sounds like you folks over there never
implemented the idea?