Old February 4th 05, 03:49 AM
Mike Coslo

clvrmnky wrote:

On 02/02/2005 11:13 AM, Caveat Lector wrote:

Ah of course " A straight key does not need a keyer. Paddles do."

Sorry over looked that question

Right, thanks. This is what I thought, but needed confirmation from
someone who knows. Right now I'm at a point where I got a pretty good
handle on amateur radio in the abstract, but there are some specifics
that I've had to dig around for on the beginner pages.

I'm just thinking ahead to when I'll be starting CW training; I've read
some screeds that suggest I just start with a keyer and a paddle (of
some sort) because that is where I'll end up anyway. This seems
reasonable, even if I have a rather romantic idea of hand-made dits and
dahs with a straight key.

It is a cheap alternative, though, and I'm thinking that learning good
(enough) rhythm and timing will serve me well in the future. On the
other hand, I'm a musician and computer programmer and appreciate how
proper equipment can minimize terrible damage to nerves and joints.

If only for this reason I'm leaning toward a single-lever paddle. The
minimal side-to-side motion /seems/ healthier, and I'm not sure I "get"
the iambic squeeze method. Hearing it described makes my thumb joint
hurt. I guess the notion is you can use double-lever paddle like a
single until you want to introduce the squeeze method. Like I said:
only thinking about the future.

The Iambic is harder to describe than to use! Don't let the description
scare you off. The Iambic is very easy on the wrist and hand after you
get used to it

Personally, I would suggest starting with a straight key. It will help
you at the start because you won't be thinking about "which paddle do I
hit now?"

But you can train even before you get any type of key. I recommend
NuMorse code training software. Pretty simple to use, has groups and QSO
training, and plenty of adjustments for Farnsworth spacing. (sending the
code at a higher text speed, but slower word speed)

It is available as shareware, and you can learn the code enough to pass
Element 1 without registering. I suggest registering your copy though.

I know this makes me sounds like a complete newbie and everyone has
heard this all before. Please forgive my mutterings. In my defence,
I'm quite excited about amateur radio, like I was when I was 10 years
old.

Welcome! Being a newbie is one of the most fun times of any
hobby/avocation. There is an enjoyment in putting together a station and
antenna that will allow you to talk across the world with the power of
an ordinary light bulb or less.

My SO doesn't really understand why I'm doing this. I don't talk
on the phone very much, or use the internet to "chat" at all. She's
puzzled why I'd want to be a "ham" and talk to strangers in even
stranger code.

One does not have to be a talker to be caught up in Amateur radio. It's
about so much more than just talking.

She has a point, I guess. Perhaps that's a subject for a future
posting. Thanks for listening.

Nah, she doesn't get it. My XYL used to question my hobby. I noted that
maybe I should give it up for hanging out at bars and carousing with
strange women. At least she knows where I am at night! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -