Old February 8th 05, 10:07 PM
Robb Leamy

Default Kenwood R-5000 problem

I have a nice Kenwood R-5000 receiver which has stopped working. I think
the problem is the rechargable battery that retains the memory. The radio
was left "unplugged" and the cell discharged. Now, I can not get it to
fully charge and run the radio properly. Does anyone know where in the
radio this battery is located and if it can be replaced easily?
Thanks,
Robb WB8BHU

Old February 9th 05, 09:21 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Robb Leamy wrote:
I have a nice Kenwood R-5000 receiver which has stopped working. I think
the problem is the rechargable battery that retains the memory. The radio
was left "unplugged" and the cell discharged. Now, I can not get it to
fully charge and run the radio properly. Does anyone know where in the
radio this battery is located and if it can be replaced easily?

Probably not. If the radio works but will not remember anything then the
battery is dead. Most likely you are seiing ........ on the display because
the PLL unlocked. This is because Kenwood potted it a rubber compound to
minimize thermal drift. Unfortunately the compound absorbed water out of the
air.

You need to find the little metal box with the PLL in it, remove the cover,
carefully scrape off all of the rubber compound and corosion and replace
any ruined components. Once that is done you need to realign the PLL.

Having done it, IMHO, you are far better off paying the $100 or so to get
it repaired professionaly.

Geoff.

IL Voice: 972-544-608-069 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Old February 11th 05, 05:45 AM
Robb Leamy

Thank you for the info Geoff. I tried the radio today after being plugged
in overnight. Receiver was reset by holding in A=B. Everything is working
again, but sensitivity is low and some signals are garbled. Frequency
readout is OK. Can the rubber compound in the PLL can cause the low
sensitivity in addition to the previous ..... dots? Or do I have some other
kind of problem? I agree, it is probably best to spend the bucks and have
it done right.

Robb

Old February 12th 05, 10:56 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Robb Leamy wrote:
Thank you for the info Geoff. I tried the radio today after being plugged
in overnight. Receiver was reset by holding in A=B. Everything is working
again, but sensitivity is low and some signals are garbled. Frequency
readout is OK. Can the rubber compound in the PLL can cause the low
sensitivity in addition to the previous ..... dots? Or do I have some other
kind of problem? I agree, it is probably best to spend the bucks and have
it done right.

Make sure that it is set properly. This sounds stupid, but there are a lot
of ways to tweak the r5000 to give wonderful results, and if set wrong
produce dismal results. For example:

Set the filter switch to auto. Turn off the antenuator. center the IF shift.

Note that there are two antenna connectors, 3 if you have the VHF convertor,
make sure you have the antenna connected to the one you are using.

Geoff.

IL Voice: 972-544-608-069 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
VoIP (Email to schedule) Free World Dialup: 523178 Skype: gsmendelson