Old February 11th 05, 01:05 PM

Default Easy HT mods

At my job we use motorola HTs on UHF (400MHz+) using DPL/DCS
squelching. Sometime in the next few months we'll migrate to different
motorolas on VHF (150MHz+) using PL/CTCSS.

I'm a ham, but a somewhat inexperienced one.. I was wondering if y'all
could direct me toward a few dual or tri band HTs that would be easily
modified to tx those freqs, preferrably with the DPL/DCS capability
(since I think most radios come with PL/CTCSS), but if you know of one
that is super easy and only does PL, that would be great, too.
Comments on performance (ie intermod) are appreciated, too.

I've hunted around on mod sites and have come up with a couple of icoms
and a few alincos that appear easy enough to mod.. But, I wanted some
opinions from y'all.

There's probably no need to post the mod, I'll find it on the
internet.. Unless you want to make it easy on me and link to it. :-)

TIA! 73,

kc5rsv
thomas

Old February 11th 05, 05:06 PM
Buck

On 11 Feb 2005 05:05:44 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Thomas,

Did I get this correct? You want to modify an amateur radio so it
operates on a commercial band?

What you are doing is setting yourself up for a $10,000-$20,000 fine
and possible suspension or loss of your amateur license. Regardless
of technology, it is against the law to use non-type accepted
equipment on services requiring type accepted equipment.

You can read about some of the penalties imposed by the FCC on the
internet. I think the ARRL has quite a few reports.

You can get HT's and mobiles that will monitor the frequencies you
want to use if you like.

If you want to operate those frequencies, you might check with the
source from which your company is buying rigs and tell them that you
would like one that you can use as well but have a small budget. They
may find a used one for you that they can program for both your
company use and amateur use.

Good luck,

And... stay out of trouble, ok?
--
73 for now
Buck

Old February 11th 05, 05:49 PM

Buck,

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually working outside of the US right
now, where the FCC doesn't care and no one else around here seems to.
I met another HAM here who's doing the same thing (with an IC-V8) and
really there is no one here to complain. Rest assured, I wouldn't
care if I were in the states.. And, when I get back to the states if I
don't leave the radio for someone else I'll not be operating it out of
ham bands. :-)

Have a good one!

73,

thomas

Old February 11th 05, 06:01 PM
Michael Black

) writes:
Buck,

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually working outside of the US right
now, where the FCC doesn't care and no one else around here seems to.
I met another HAM here who's doing the same thing (with an IC-V8) and
really there is no one here to complain. Rest assured, I wouldn't
care if I were in the states.. And, when I get back to the states if I
don't leave the radio for someone else I'll not be operating it out of
ham bands. :-)

The fact that someone is doing it means nothing. Do you know how
many people over the years have asked similar questions here in
these newsgroups? And much of the time, their logic is that nobody
will know, nobody will care.

Maybe it doesn't matter in another country, but you really should
be checking up on this. You are a guest there, and not only would
you be breaking the law, but you would reflect badly on amateur radio.

There is an arrogance to think that ignoring the laws in another country
doesn't matter, while at home is what counts.

Michael VE2BVW

Old February 11th 05, 07:49 PM
nana

There is an arrogance to think that ignoring the laws in another country
doesn't matter, while at home is what counts.

Michael VE2BVW

Yeah. It's called "Americans abroad"

Old February 12th 05, 06:45 PM
Buck

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:51:48 -0500, Buck wrote:

The FCC rules don't affect areas the FCC doesn't regulate No
problem here.

Of course, there may be rules where you are that need to be
considered.
--
73 for now
Buck

Old February 13th 05, 11:36 AM

Used to we called people trolls who only posted antagonistic and
sarcastic criticism and banter. What they said was never helpful and
seldom friendly. It usually reminds me of junior high school. For
example: "Wrong again Troll Boy. " and "Surrrrrrrrrrrre you do Troll
Boy." is very troll-like behavior.

I try not to make habits of feeding trolls; I apologize to anyone who
wishes I would not have.

Have a good day, Lloyd.

Thomas