Old April 5th 05, 08:46 AM

Default GMRS/FRS transceiver & FCC licensing

Hello,

I just got a pack of two Audiovox GMRS7001-2CH two-way
radios and had an unpleasant surprise after opening the
package - "USE OF THIS RADIO ... REQUIRES FCC LICENSE".

Some research showed that, yes, transmitting on a GMRS
frequency requires license. However, the radio have
7 "FRS-only" channels (freq. 467.5625-467.7125). Do I
need license is I use ONLY those channels?

I expect to need the radio once or twice per year when
camping, and I don't want to spend money and time on
FCC license, if not needed for the FRS channels.

Regards,

Gonzo

Old April 5th 05, 09:30 AM
Dr.Ace - WH2T

GMRS and FRS are both citizens band allocations. GMRS is a licensed radio
service, authorizing higher power and flexibility. FRS is unlicensed, with
significant restrictions.

FRS frequencies are interleaved with GMRS frequencies. GMRS radios are also
authorized to transmit on FRS channels 1 to 7 with no more than 5 watts and
using 5 KHz deviation. GMRS uses 467 MHz frequencies as repeater input
channels. All FRS channels are simplex, with 3 Khz deviation and 500
milliwatts.

FRS Frequencies
a.. CH01 462.5625
b.. CH02 462.5875
c.. CH03 462.6125
d.. CH04 462.6375
e.. CH05 462.6625
f.. CH06 462.6875
g.. CH07 462.7125
h..
i.. CH08 467.5625
j.. CH09 467.5875
k.. CH10 467.6125
l.. CH11 467.6373
m.. CH12 467.6625
n.. CH13 467.8874
o.. CH14 467.7125
Do I
need license is I use ONLY those channels?

NO

Ace - www.WH2T.com

Old April 5th 05, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the answers. Now I start to see what should I do,
but still would like to check with you if this is OK.

According to the manual, if I switch to low output power mode (it
has two modes) the maximum output power is 0.5 watt. This should
mean, according to my understanding, that if I use it only in low-
power mode and only on the FRS channels I should be fine.

So, I plan instead of returning the radios to the shop, to go on
using them with those limitations. I still prefer to have the
high power option, in case of real emergency, that's why I prefer
not to switch to FRS-only radio. Also, I would like to start
listening from time to time on the GMRS channels (no transmitting),
just to see how are the things there and decide if I would like to
get GMRS license or not (I probably would).

Is this OK?

Thanks,

- Gonzo

Old April 5th 05, 06:25 PM
Dr.Ace - WH2T

Hi Gonzo ,
That is what I would do. I have read the related laws. I know some people
will say you will be breaking the law because of FCC type acceptance.
Ace - WH2T

oups.com...

Old April 5th 05, 07:25 PM

Dr.Ace - WH2T wrote:
GMRS and FRS are both citizens band allocations.

One comment. GMRS is absolutely NOT a citizen's band service.

No where in the CB regulations does it list GMRS. GMRS *did* develop
from the old "Class A CB" service, however. It is one of the personal
radio services.

Old April 5th 05, 07:39 PM
KØHB

"John L. Wilkerson Jr." wrote

A license is REQUIRED to use that radio, under any and all conditions.

So far as the letter-of-the-law is concerned, John is correct.

As a practical matter SO LONG AS YOU TRANSMIT ONLY ON FRS channels and ONLY AT
THE LOW POWER SETTING then you are unlikely to upset anyone nor invite the
attention of any radio police.

Old April 5th 05, 09:35 PM
Dr.Ace - WH2T

People use radios including amateur radios for purposes other than they were
type accepted everyday . Some police use amateur radios that tranmit on
police frequencies, they cost less than Motorola equipment. Some amateurs
use police radios that have been modified to work on amateur frequencies
etc. etc.
Nuff Said
Ace - WH2T

"John L. Wilkerson Jr." wrote in message
"Dr.Ace - WH2T" wrote in
:

Hi Gonzo ,
That is what I would do. I have read the related laws. I know some
people
will say you will be breaking the law because of FCC type acceptance.

That is absolutely correct. He should NOT under any circumstances use the
radio, until he licenses. You wouldn't like it if someone used an amateur
radio without a license, now would you? Us Licensed GMRS operators feel
the same way.