Old April 5th 05, 10:20 PM
KC8GXW

Amateurs can use any type radio they want to use on amateur frequencies,
Ham radios don't need to be type accepted, I've converted many CB's to
use on 10 meters and that's legal. I also understand that anybody can
own any type of radio as long as they listen and don't transmit, lots of
amateur equipment is sold everyday to people that only want to listen to
short-wave. I guess some get put on the cb band, but oh well, life goes
on. I don't see anything in the law that says I can't own GMRS radios
without a license, only I need a license to transmit on GMrs frequencies.

Dr.Ace - WH2T wrote:

People use radios including amateur radios for purposes other than they were
type accepted everyday . Some police use amateur radios that tranmit on
police frequencies, they cost less than Motorola equipment. Some amateurs
use police radios that have been modified to work on amateur frequencies
etc. etc.
Nuff Said
Ace - WH2T

"John L. Wilkerson Jr." wrote in message

"Dr.Ace - WH2T" wrote in
:

Hi Gonzo ,
That is what I would do. I have read the related laws. I know some
people
will say you will be breaking the law because of FCC type acceptance.

That is absolutely correct. He should NOT under any circumstances use the
radio, until he licenses. You wouldn't like it if someone used an amateur
radio without a license, now would you? Us Licensed GMRS operators feel
the same way.

Old April 5th 05, 11:29 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

KC8GXW wrote:

I don't see anything in the law that says I can't own GMRS radios
without a license, only I need a license to transmit on GMrs frequencies.

Yep you sure can, I have two units that cover both FRS (license free)
and GMRS frequencies. I can use the FRS frequencies without a license
but not the GMRS, but I sure can listen to GMRS freqs all I want.

Old April 5th 05, 11:30 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Dr.Ace - WH2T wrote:

People use radios including amateur radios for purposes other than they were
type accepted everyday . Some police use amateur radios that tranmit on
police frequencies, they cost less than Motorola equipment. Some amateurs
use police radios that have been modified to work on amateur frequencies
etc. etc.
Nuff Said
Ace - WH2T

Why do some end a post with "nuff said"? Is that supposed to mean something?

Old April 6th 05, 01:11 AM
John L. Wilkerson Jr.

"Dr.Ace - WH2T" wrote in
:

See
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...both+citizens+
band+allocations%22&btnG=Google+Search

That information is wrong. You need to read the CB regulations as stated
in part 95:

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 47, Volume 5, Parts 80 to End]
[Revised as of October 1, 2000]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 47CFR95.401]

[Page 533-534]

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 95--PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart D--Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service

Sec. 95.401 (CB Rule 1) What are the Citizens Band Radio Services?

Source: 48 FR 24894, June 3, 1983, unless otherwise noted.

General Provisions

The Citizens Band Radio Services a
(a) The Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service--a private, two-way, short-
distance voice communications service for personal or business
activities of the general public. The CB Radio Service may also be used
for voice paging.
(b) The Family Radio Service (FRS)--a private, two-way, very short-
distance voice communications service for facilitating family and group
activities. The rules for this service are contained in subpart B of
this part.
(c) The Low Power Radio Service (LPRS)--a private, short-distance
communication service providing auditory assistance to persons with
disabilities, persons who require language translation, and persons in
educational settings, health care assistance to the ill, law enforcement
tracking services in cooperation with law enforcement, and point-to-
point network control communications for Automated Marine
Telecommunications System (AMTS) coast stations licensed under part 80
of this chapter. The rules for this service are listed under subpart G
of this part. Two-way voice communications are prohibited.
(d) The Medical Implant Communications Service (MICS)--an ultra-low
power radio service for the transmission of non-voice data for the
purpose of facilitating diagnostic and/or therapeutic functions
involving implanted medical devices. The rules for this service are
contained in subpart I of this part.
(e) The Wireless Medical Telemetry Service (WMTS)--a private, short
distance data communication service for the transmission of patient
medical information to a central monitoring location in a hospital or
other medical facility. Voice and video communications are prohibited.
Waveforms such as electrocardiograms (ECGs) are not considered video.
The rules for this

GMRS is not listed.
Old April 6th 05, 01:13 AM
KC8GXW

John L. Wilkerson Jr. wrote:

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote in
:

KC8GXW wrote:

I don't see anything in the law that says I can't own GMRS radios
without a license, only I need a license to transmit on GMrs
frequencies.

Yep you sure can, I have two units that cover both FRS (license free)
and GMRS frequencies. I can use the FRS frequencies without a license
but not the GMRS, but I sure can listen to GMRS freqs all I want.

That was all previously addressed. You CANNOT legally use one of these
radios ON ANY frequency without a GMRS license. Since the radio is
classified as a GMRS radio, use even on the FRS freqs constitutes a
violation of FCC regulations.

What FCC regulations? Just because you say there are FCC regulations
doesn't make it true! Give us a FCC regulation number, a page number,
something besides "I said"

Old April 6th 05, 04:12 AM
Michael Black

"Dr.Ace - WH2T" ) writes:
People use radios including amateur radios for purposes other than they were
type accepted everyday . Some police use amateur radios that tranmit on
police frequencies, they cost less than Motorola equipment. Some amateurs
use police radios that have been modified to work on amateur frequencies
etc. etc.
Nuff Said
Ace - WH2T

And there is no type approval for amateur radio. It's the one radio
service that is pretty open ended, because of its very nature.

Since amateurs can build their own equipment, it would be pretty silly
to require type approval of equipment. There is absolutely no
restriction against modifying equipment to work on the ham bands,
though if you modify it chances are good that it no longer meets
the original type acceptance for the other service so you can no
longer use it there.

And just because people use amateur equipment illegally in other services
does not make it right. One reason amateur equipment is cheaper
than equivalent equipment for other services is because it's not
type approved, so at the very least the cost of getting it approved
is not there.

Micahel VE2BVW

Old April 6th 05, 06:23 AM

John L. Wilkerson Jr. wrote:
Cmd Buzz Corey wrote in
:

KC8GXW wrote:

I don't see anything in the law that says I can't own GMRS radios
without a license, only I need a license to transmit on GMrs
frequencies.

Yep you sure can, I have two units that cover both FRS (license

free)
and GMRS frequencies. I can use the FRS frequencies without a

license
but not the GMRS, but I sure can listen to GMRS freqs all I want.

That was all previously addressed. You CANNOT legally use one of

these
radios ON ANY frequency without a GMRS license. Since the radio is
classified as a GMRS radio, use even on the FRS freqs constitutes a
violation of FCC regulations.

Hello again. I may be out of my league here, but here is something
I found in the FCC permit for the model I own, that should put an
end to this debate:

FCC IDENTIFIER: PDHGMRS7001
Name of Grantee: TTI Tech Co., Ltd.
Equipment Class: Part 95 Family Radio Face Held Transmitter
Notes: FRS/ GMRS Combination

[...] This device is authorized to operate in the following radio
services: FRS (Part 95B) or GMRS (Part 95A). There must be an
informational insert inside the box (product package) or the User's
Manual must include information that clearly informs the consumer
(buyer/owner) when the radio is transmitting on GMRS frequencies,
that operation on GMRS frequencies requires an FCC license and such
operation is subject to additional rules specified in 47 C.F.R. Part
95. [...]

I think FCC here clearly states that FCC license is required only
"when the radio is transmitting on GMRS frequencies". Note that
the devide is described not as GMRS radio, but as "FRS/GMRS
Combination" - this may explain the different oppinions expressed
in this thread.

I noticed also, that when a FRS frequency is selected, the only
allowed mode is low power, "up to 0.5 W". Probably this is why
they can classify it as FRS/GMRS combo. So, I'm going to use this
without license on the FRS-only frequencies, and will listen only
on the GMRS channels to see how it is and do I want to get GMRS
licensed. If FCC says this is OK, who am I to object?! :-)

Sorry that I didn't find this info before asking the question.

Regards,

- Gonzo

P.S. I think FCC here did a sloppy job in requiring the
manufacturer to put the license requirement INSIDE the
box or in the manual, but not OUTSIDE the box. Thaty's
crazy! Actually, I found the licensing requirement
OUTSIDE on the box, but this was just after reading the
manual and carefully inspecting the packaging to look for
it - it was there, in one corner of the box, below some
other text and probably with the smallest font they
could find!

Old April 6th 05, 07:05 AM

Forgot to mention - the FCC permit info that I copied above did
not come with the radio - I had to search in the FCC site for it.
I tell you that, so you will not think that I had it all the time in
the
manual but was too lazy to RTFM. :-)

- G

Old April 6th 05, 11:04 PM
Adair Winter

"KØHB" wrote in message
"John L. Wilkerson Jr." wrote

A license is REQUIRED to use that radio, under any and all conditions.

So far as the letter-of-the-law is concerned, John is correct.

As a practical matter SO LONG AS YOU TRANSMIT ONLY ON FRS channels and
ONLY AT THE LOW POWER SETTING then you are unlikely to upset anyone nor
invite the attention of any radio police.

I don't see how it's not ok to use the radio at 500mw in the FRS freqs. I'd
like to see where it says that.

What does this say to you?

FCC IDENTIFIER: PDHGMRS7001
Name of Grantee: TTI Tech Co., Ltd.
Equipment Class: Part 95 Family Radio Face Held Transmitter
Notes: FRS/ GMRS Combination

[...] This device is authorized to operate in the following radio
services: FRS (Part 95B) or GMRS (Part 95A). There must be an
informational insert inside the box (product package) or the User's
Manual must include information that clearly informs the consumer
(buyer/owner) when the radio is transmitting on GMRS frequencies,
that operation on GMRS frequencies requires an FCC license and such
operation is subject to additional rules specified in 47 C.F.R. Part
95. [...]

There is no mention of needing a license to operate on FRS.

Adair - KD5DYP

Old April 7th 05, 02:36 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

John L. Wilkerson Jr. wrote:

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote in
:

KC8GXW wrote:

I don't see anything in the law that says I can't own GMRS radios
without a license, only I need a license to transmit on GMrs
frequencies.

Yep you sure can, I have two units that cover both FRS (license free)
and GMRS frequencies. I can use the FRS frequencies without a license
but not the GMRS, but I sure can listen to GMRS freqs all I want.

That was all previously addressed. You CANNOT legally use one of these
radios ON ANY frequency without a GMRS license. Since the radio is
classified as a GMRS radio, use even on the FRS freqs constitutes a
violation of FCC regulations.

BS, the instructions that came with my radios plainly state that the FCC
requires GMRS users to have a license, FRS users do not and there is an
application blank included for the GMRS license.