Old April 21st 05, 01:21 AM
bb

Mike Coslo wrote:
bb wrote:

Dee Flint wrote:

Most of the computer programs let you select a pitch you like. Of

course

you would have to arrange with the VE team well in advance of the

test to

have one set up at that pitch for her testing.

Dee, not everyone has a ham-husband to tell them all of the
modifications that the VE may make to an examination

Brian, Dee is a VE.....

Steve is a VA.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Hey, are you going to Dayton this year? I have a batch of what

promises
to be an awesome Red Ale which should be ready to drink about that
time......

Which day(s) are you going? I work Saturday.

Old April 21st 05, 01:21 AM
Dee Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

We each must choose our activities based on our personal priorities.

Thank you very much, Captain Obvious.

But do not whine and cry to change the requirements simply because it's
not high enough on your priority list
to put some time into it.

I wouldn't characterize it as "whine and cry" (unless I wanted to
prejudice the audience). Seems more like "this is my opinion on the
matter".

It's still whining and crying no matter how you sugar coat it.

Besides if you haven't time to study code 15 minutes
per day, you don't have time to study the theory either.

Is that kinda like when you told your child "if you haven't got room for
more green beans, then you don't have room for dessert either"

If you don't have room for good food then you don't have room for junk.
However I did not have to tell my children this because I never served
dessert unless there was company and sometimes not even then. I eat too
much junk during the day at work so try to avoid compounding the problem at
home.

As you said, a person must get started to learn anything.
The first ones are difficult for all of us. Like anything else it takes
time to get good.

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something,
learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is
full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant
without having come by their ignorance the hard way."
---Bokonon in "Cat's Cradle"

I only object to those who wish to change the rules without having the
experience to judge for themselves whether they should be changed. You and
I do not agree on the code test but I respect your opinion as you have
experience in the field (but do not agree with it). When and if the
majority of experienced hams say it should go, then I have no problem with
that. So far that doesn't happen to be the majority opinion among the
experienced hams.

"Actually, what is being discussed is freedom of choice of modes
in a hobby in a free society. There is absolutely nothing prohibiting
someone who wants to take full advantage of CW's many
advantages from becoming skillful in the mode."
--- CAM in RRAP

Sunuvagun!

Actually people who are not required to learn something at a basic level too
often bypass the activity altogether because they perceive it to be harder
than it is. Therein lies the loss. We will be left with only 25+wpm CW
people on the bands in that mode and everyone else will be too intimidated
to get on. Only the extremely motivated will even bother to try. We will
lose the "casual" CW operator who ragchews at the 13wpm level or so.

I'd like to see people learn a much wider range of "basics" in life not just
ham radio than they do now. For example, personally I believe that everyone
should have a year of art class and a year of a musical instrument, among
other things, to be well rounded. Yet we insist on eliminating more and
more basics in all areas. How is a person to have any idea what they want
to do with their life when they have not had an opportunity to gain some
basic skill in a wide range of areas? Similarly how is a person to have any
real idea as to whether they might like code and wish to pursue it if they
do not have a minimal, basic skill level?

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old April 21st 05, 01:28 AM
bb

cl wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dee Flint wrote:

Most of the computer programs let you select a pitch you like. Of

course
you would have to arrange with the VE team well in advance of the

test to
have one set up at that pitch for her testing.

Dee, not everyone has a ham-husband to tell them all of the
modifications that the VE may make to an examination

That's what you ask in here for! There are VEs in here, myself

included -
who can give guidance to those who ask.

cl

"Here" is all knowing.

Part 97 doesn't define Morse Code, but specifies that it is to be
tested at 5WPM. Part 97 is silent on Farnsworth Code. Part 97 doesn't
say that the VE's must accomodate variations in testing.

Why does a person have to ask RRAP when they should be able to read it
in the governing regulations???

Old April 21st 05, 01:30 AM
KØHB

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

"Actually, what is being discussed is freedom of choice of modes
in a hobby in a free society. There is absolutely nothing prohibiting
someone who wants to take full advantage of CW's many
advantages from becoming skillful in the mode."
--- CAM in RRAP

Extended to all modes? Get rid of those darn satellite mode questions on the
tests! I personally have no use for that!

Good point, and I agree. If we are going to have incredibly difficult satellite
questions on the Extra written exam, like the following verbatim example.....

Q: Which of the following types of communications may space stations transmit?

A. Automatic retransmission of signals from Earth stations and other space
stations
B. One-way communications
C. Telemetry consisting of specially coded messages
D. All of these choices are correct

......then there ought to be similarly incredibly difficult CW questions on the
Extra written exam, like:

Q: Which of the following alphanumeric characters corresponds to the Morse sound
"di-dah"

A. A
B. B
C. C
D. All of these choices are correct

After all, fair is fair, and the CW mode ought to have test questions just like
all other modes. Thanks for pointing that out.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 01:35 AM
bb

K4YZ wrote:
bb wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
wrote:

Sorry, according to many in here you have to approach it as
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR LIFE!!!

Actually, Lennie, YOU are the only one making that assertion.

Nope, in-between homosexual and pedophilia inuendo, you have made

such
assertions. So that makes lie #25.

Then here's yet another chance for you to prove yourself, Brain,
and provide SOME sample of a post I have EVER made that asserts that
ANYthing having to to with Amateur Radio must be approched as the

"MOST
IMPORTANT THING" in ANYone's life.

Good thing you didn't deny the homosexual and pedophilia inuendo. That
would have made Lies #27 and #28.

You said it exists. Let's see it.

Steve, K4YZ

Sorry, Steve, but I don't have to show you anything. BTW, you're up to
Lie #26 with the "Bwhahaha..." laugh that you claimed you don't use.

Old April 21st 05, 01:37 AM
Mike Coslo

bb wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

bb wrote:

Dee Flint wrote:

Most of the computer programs let you select a pitch you like. Of

course

you would have to arrange with the VE team well in advance of the

test to

have one set up at that pitch for her testing.

Dee, not everyone has a ham-husband to tell them all of the
modifications that the VE may make to an examination

Brian, Dee is a VE.....

Steve is a VA.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Hey, are you going to Dayton this year? I have a batch of what

promises

to be an awesome Red Ale which should be ready to drink about that
time......

Which day(s) are you going? I work Saturday.

I should be there al three days.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old April 21st 05, 01:40 AM
bb

From: "Phil Kane" on Tues,Apr 19 2005 12:15 pm

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:05:03 GMT, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The radio station at Ft Greely, Ak was built in 1948 as the

first
permanent "Armed Forces Radio Network" station. It was the first

site
built with commercial broadcast equipment instead of modified

military
gear used at some sites during WW II. The radio transmitter was a

gates
BC250 In the early '70s AFRTS claimed to be the only all tube

network
in the world.

A former subordinate of mine at the FCC, Don Browne, was an EE and
ROTC-trained AFRTS officer in the late 1960s and after his three
years on active duty with the Signal Corps went Reserve and came

work for me. He spent several years at the field office and

several
more at headquarters. His reserve billet was abolished in an

AFRTS
reorganization (even though he was a MAJ) but when a vacancy on

the
civilian engineering staff of the AFRTS came up he transferred to
that. He retired as the chief of engineering for AFRTS several
years ago and still hangs around the broadcast business.

Wow. I'm in the presence of Nobility. I am humbled.

FWIW, AFRTS headquarters used to be just about a mile from my
house on a little jog of La Tuna Canyon Road, just before it
gets changed to Penrose. In some "economy move" of about 7
(or was it 6?) years ago, it was emptied out in Sun Valley,
CA, and all staff moved east about 40 miles to a
decommissioned USAF base somewhat close to Ontario, CA. The
old AFRTS buildings haven't been leased to anyone yet after
all this time (one can still read the name in smudges on the
exterior wall where the raised lettering was).

AFRTS IS NOT Amateur Radio

It's SHOW BIZ !!!

AFRTS IS NOT COMMUNICATIONS per se. shrug

Did AFRS or AFRTS ever do morse code? :-)

"Sorry Hans, AFRTS IS NOT Amateur Radio!"

Hi, hi!

Old April 21st 05, 01:42 AM
KØHB

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

Actually people who are not required to learn something at a basic level too
often bypass the activity altogether because they perceive it to be harder
than it is. Therein lies the loss.

I don't buy that line of reasoning at all.

I was never "required" to learn to set up a "Lindy Rig", but saw other fishermen
doing it and it looked like fun, so decided it must not be too difficult, so I
learned how.

I was never "required" to learn to swim, but saw other kids doing it and it
looked like fun, so decided it must not be too difficult, so I learned how.

I was never "required" to learn how to kiss a girl, but saw Clark Gable doing
it, and it looked like great fun, so I decided it must not be too difficult, so
I learned how.

I was never "required" to learn Morse Code, but heard it on the Zenith and was
curious about those beeps and boops, so I learned how (a decade before I decided
to be a ham).

I was never "required" to learn RTTY, but saw other hams doing it, and it looked
interesting, so I decided it must not be too difficula, so I learned how.

You probably get the drift.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 01:48 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

I'll bet you like those schools where the students determine the
curriculum!

Especially important is that those who do not know the material MUST
determine what the material is that they must learn. That is always the
smartest way to do things. The students must educate the teachers.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old April 21st 05, 01:48 AM
bb

Meanwhile, the cardinals are gathering in Newington
to elect a new poop to lead the morsemen into the
righteous path of the true hamreligion...via the
"history" of radio as only they have sterilized it.

I almost read my last QST. Not enough pretty girls selling "SOMEthing"
other than radios.