Old July 4th 05, 11:01 PM

MWA http://www.w0aa.org
TCFMC http://www.tcfmc.org
FISTS http://www.fists.org
LVDXA http://www.upstel.net/borken/lvdxa.htm
NCI http://www.nocode.org
Old July 5th 05, 05:36 PM
J Tabor

Howdy,

Linux is certainly way cool. Thanks for sharing the stats.

May I suggest one explanation? Since the release of win xp there is really
no reason to tackly Linux. Previously there was. win xp is the first "real"
win os for the general pop. G

Regards,
Jim
--
email sent to:
is discarded without being seen.
"KØHB" wrote in message
k.net...
I keep track of the OS of visitors to my ham radio web site (
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb ) and out of almost 10,000 visitors,
only 61 (less than 1%) are Linux users.

What's up with that?

Operating Systems Visitors % Total
Linux 61 0.65 %
Windows NT 118 1.26 %
Windows 95 62 0.66 %
Windows 98 1217 12.95 %
Windows 2000 1431 15.23 %
Windows XP 5773 61.43 %
Windows ME 464 4.94 %
Windows 3.x 0 0.00 %
Sun OS 0 0.00 %
Free BSD 0 0.00 %
Open BSD 0 0.00 %
Net BSD 0 0.00 %
IRIX 0 0.00 %
AIX 6 0.06 %
HP-UX 0 0.00 %
Be OS 0 0.00 %
Macintosh 85 0.90 %
Mac OS X 140 1.49 %
IBM OS/2 0 0.00 %
Amiga OS 0 0.00 %
Web TV 29 0.31 %
Unknown OS 11 0.12 %

--
73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 5th 05, 08:48 PM
Jim Haynes

I use Linux when I can, Win95 when I can't use Linux. I operate the
digital modes almost exclusively, and for the past few years have been
using the soundcard digital modes almost exclusively. For a long time
the most and the best software for those modes has been available only
in Windows versions, but lately the situation for Linux is getting
better.

My OS journey is probably a little different from most, as I was a user
of Unix time sharing before there was Linux. And the first time I owned
a PC was when a friend twisted my arm to get into Clover, which required
a PC AT class machine to run the modem and software. So I had to get
a used PC AT running DOS. I was also at the time using a PK-232 with a
dumb terminal in front of it. Soon after Linux was starting to look good
enough to use, so I bought a 486 machine to explore it. Then the K6STI
RITTY software became available, which required at the time a 486 or better
and ran under DOS, so I got a sound card for the 486 and made it dual boot
to be able to run RITTY. Since then through various machine upgrades I
have arrived at a Linux-only machine that I use for my work work, and
a dual boot Win95/Linux machine that I use for the radio. I also picked
up a Kachina radio, and the software for that requires Windows. So I
have a choice of running the TS-940S with Linux and gmfsk in most modes,
or with Windows and various pieces of software, or of running the Kachina
with Windows software.

I'm not smart enough to write a control program for the Kachina that runs
under Linux, and I don't expect anybody else is going to now that the
radio is out of production.

I also have a laptop with Linux and Windows ME - I used to have to travel
and used that with my portable radio setup
--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Old July 6th 05, 04:21 AM
Bob McConnell

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:01:53 GMT, KØHB
wrote:

I keep track of the OS of visitors to my ham radio web site

( http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb ) and out of almost
10,000 visitors, only 61 (less than 1%) are Linux users.

What's up with that?

Nice stats. Too bad they probably aren't correct, since most Linux
browsers are configured to lie about themselves and the OS they're
running on. Seems there are a lot of pages that just won't work if you
don't tell the server you are running IE on some form of MS-Windows.
Firefox makes it easy to set up the fake headers for this very reason.

There is currently a survey underway at Groklaw in an attempt to find
out which sites are the worst when viewed with other browsers. My
biggest problem is Major League Baseball.

Yes, I still use Agent on Win98SE for the newsgroups. As soon as I
find a usable replacement, this final piece of Microsoft garbage can
be replaced.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old July 22nd 05, 12:43 AM
Alex Flinsch

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:48:30 +0000, Jim Haynes wrote:

I'm not smart enough to write a control program for the Kachina that runs
under Linux, and I don't expect anybody else is going to now that the
radio is out of production.

don't be too surprised, but hamlib http://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib
supports the kachina, so any control program that uses it should work.
Ifnot, there is always the commandline...

Alex / AB2RC

Old July 22nd 05, 04:42 AM
Jim Haynes

In article ,
Alex Flinsch wrote:

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:48:30 +0000, Jim Haynes wrote:

I'm not smart enough to write a control program for the Kachina that runs
under Linux, and I don't expect anybody else is going to now that the
radio is out of production.

don't be too surprised, but hamlib http://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib
supports the kachina, so any control program that uses it should work.
Ifnot, there is always the commandline...

Yeah, I'm aware of the support in hamlib. I'm not aware of control programs
that use hamlib - and one would have to be pretty elaborate to handle the
Kachina. As for the command line - well I'm actually a big fan of command
line software (I know how to type) but that is really too clunky to use
with the Kachina. Command line stuff to tell the computer what to do is
one thing, but taking the place of knobs and pushbuttons is a bit much.
--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net