Old August 5th 05, 02:20 AM
charlesW

Thank you all for the advice. It has been very helpful and given me
quite a few pointers. The book that I have is the 5th edition and I
believe it is the latest. Thanks for the warning about the newsgroup.
I noticed some flames and other pointless rants, it's good to know that
there are people intelligent enough out there to see what it is and
simply ignore it.

I'll check out ebay and keep an eye out for the brands you named. I'm
not sure if there are any hamfests around here, but there is a huge
flea market every Saturday, so I might stop by there and see if I can
get any information there.

I'm also glad to hear what everyone had to say about the clubs. I will
still check them out, but it's good to have the info you provided. I
had a few experiences with some computer user groups that claim to be
open and welcome to new users but can be almost snobbish to a beginner.

This seems like a great way to get my hands on some fun gear to play
around with and meet some interesting people. I'm excited to try it
out! Thanks again for all the advice and anything else you might think
of is greatly appreciated.

Charles

Old August 5th 05, 03:16 AM
Wes Stewart

On 4 Aug 2005 10:56:26 -0700, "charlesW"
wrote:

Charles,

Hello, I am currently a comp sci student who has become interested in
ham radio, mainly from taking physics classes and learning about
electromagentic theory. I find the subject fascinating and would like
to learn more theory and hands on applications. Currently my schedule
doesn't let me take any of the classes which sound interseting like EM
wave theory and antenna theory. I go to a small school and there isn't
a ham radio club here.

You don't EM or antenna theory classes to join this hobby. They may
certainly enhance your fun later, but I've taught classes at the local
community college and graduated (licensed) dozens of folks that didn't
have any electronics education.

From my initial research into ham radio, the subjects which I have the

most interest is mainly satellite communications, but I am also
interested in DX communications, antenna theory and packet radio.

My satellite experiences ended with Oscar 6, a long time ago, so I
can't comment on the current bird activity and/or operating modes.
AMSAT is the organization that you need to look to for this stuff.

Casual, as opposed to rabid DXing is an interest of mine, but frankly
with the current state of the sunspot cycle this isn't as much fun as
it will be in a few years. You're a young guy so you will have
several cycles to look forward to.

I've never had an interest in digital modes, but I think packet is
pretty much over with. The new modes are PSK-31, etc. Some vhfer's
are using digital modes for meteor scatter and moonbounce. See:
http://pulsar.princeton.edu/~joe/K1JT/index.htm for a start.

I have found three clubs on the ARRL website within 30 miles of me.
Only one of those lists DX communication and none of them list
satellite or packet radio as one of the groups interests. I feel a
little uneasy simply showing up to one of the meetings with my limited
(read non-existant) knowledge of the subject. I know enough about the
physics and theory behind everything, but pratically 0 about the actual
application. I envision going to one of these meetings (the one
closest to me is held at a diner) and sitting around a table with a
bunch of guys who are talking ham radio jargon and not being able to
follow anything being said. I realize they are probably helpful to
newcomers, but I think they would expect a newcomer to be able to hold
their own, which at the moment I would be unable to do

To be honest, at least in my area, clubs are populated by a bunch of
old geezers like me who are more interested in socializing than
programs. That said, by all means visit them and make your interests
known. These guys won't bite (many of them don't have their teeth
anymore) and they put their pants on the same way as you do, one leg
at a time.

In all likelyhood, if they have any sense, they will welcome you with
open arms; young people interested in ham radio being a rarity these
days.

Is there any (cheap) equipiment or kits that I might be able to find on
ebay or some retail outlet that you could recommend to a beginner which
I could play around with to help me get started before being licensed?

Check out the clubs first. You might find someone willing to loan, or
give you an older rig, just because you're interested and he has one
he doesn't know what to do with anyway. I have done this.

Besides, being cheap and a scrounger is a ham tradition; you might as
well master this aspect at an early age. Begging is perfectly
acceptable.

Any books or websites geared towards beginners (possibly with my
interests in mind) that I might find useful? I've found a bunch, but it
would be better if I could get some recommendations from experienced
operators.

Of course the ARRL site www.arr.org is a place to start. The
aforementioned www.amsat.org has a "New to satellites" area.

Welcome to the fold,

Wes N7WS

Old August 5th 05, 12:29 PM
Travis Jordan

charlesW wrote:
Is there any (cheap) equipiment or kits that I might be able to find
on ebay or some retail outlet that you could recommend to a beginner
which I could play around with to help me get started before being
licensed?

Consider buying a low cost used scanning receiver that will let you
listen in on the segments of the VHF and UHF amateur bands where you'll
find most of the FM repeater traffic (roughly 145 - 148 and 440 - 450
Mhz). Personally I'm a fan of Uniden's BC895XLT or the newer BC898T.
These $200 receivers (new, $125 used) make great general coverage
receivers for the VHF and above ham bands. Google on the model numbers.

Also consider a used dual band 2 meter / UHF trasceiver for about the
same price.

If you live anywhere near a city with a good sized ham population you
should hear daily traffic on the repeater systems. For information on
specific Philadelphia and Pennsylvania area repeaters see this link:

http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/s...nnsylvania.asp

Good luck and welcome to the world of amateur radio.

Old August 7th 05, 02:57 AM
Bob Miller

wrote:

Hello, I am currently a comp sci student who has become interested in
ham radio, mainly from taking physics classes and learning about
electromagentic theory. I find the subject fascinating and would like
to learn more theory and hands on applications. Currently my schedule
doesn't let me take any of the classes which sound interseting like EM
wave theory and antenna theory.

Try the newsgroup, rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Several crusty elec. engineers, book authors and other knowledgeable
types discuss all manner of wave theory and antenna theory there. It's
free, and you can learn a lot, whether you simply observe or get
involved. They can also point you toward many of the classic books
from long ago on antenna theory.

bob
k5qwg

I go to a small school and there isn't
a ham radio club here.

From my initial research into ham radio, the subjects which I have the

Old August 16th 05, 01:10 PM
Steve Silverwood

[This followup was posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment and a copy was
sent to the cited author.]

Sounds like you've already picked up some good advice. If you want some
good software to go with the Now You're Talking book, you might visit
the W5YI website at http://www.w5yi.org/catalog.php?sort=18 and check
out the packages they have. They're basic programs that drill you on
the questions that will be on the test, so you can get yourself
proficient before going in for the exam. I used their older DOS-based
stuff for my tests some time back, worked very well.

I believe it also includes Morse training and practice software, which
will be helpful if you want to go for your HF privileges (at present,
the FCC still requires a demonstration of Morse proficiency before you
can gain access to the HF bands). In training for my Morse exam I found
that the tapes are only good up to a point, after which I found myself
memorizing the tapes, so they weren't much good after that. Computer-
generated Morse practice can keep the material fresh so you're never
copying the same stuff over and over again, as you would with tapes.

On the matter of clubs, I've had mixed experience with various clubs
when I was first getting started. One that I visited was pretty clique-
ish, so much so that the only person that took any time to chat with me
was the guest speaker! I've been good friends with the guest speaker
ever since, but I've never darkened the door of that club since. I
found that this was the exception rather than the rule -- nearly all the
other clubs I've visited since then have been more than welcoming to all
new visitors, so if you don't find a good club the first time out, shop
around. The ARRL web site at www.arrl.org lists many different ARRL-
affiliated clubs, so you should be able to find a lot of potential
groups in your area.

You'll also find that your computer skills will dovetail nicely with the
newer modes that are available for your use on the ham bands. Packet
(especially APRS these days) and PSK31 are good examples. There are
also video modes -- slow-scan TV (SSTV) and amateur television (ATV) --
that you could experiment with if you're interested.

Welcome aboard!

In article .com,
says...
Hello, I am currently a comp sci student who has become interested in
ham radio, mainly from taking physics classes and learning about
electromagentic theory. I find the subject fascinating and would like
to learn more theory and hands on applications. Currently my schedule
doesn't let me take any of the classes which sound interseting like EM
wave theory and antenna theory. I go to a small school and there isn't
a ham radio club here.

From my initial research into ham radio, the subjects which I have the

--

-- //Steve//