Old December 3rd 05, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Bob Sherin, W4ASX

Default An Open Letter to Massachusetts Governor Romney

Governor Romney's Uninformed Comment on Ham Radio -----(this title
for NG only)

A former Massachusetts citizen, I grew up in in Swampscott, winning my
ham radio license at age 13 in 1952.

More than once, I can recall when hams were essential because of
adverse weather conditions that cut communications. One was during a
hurricane in the 50's. My friend (Aaron Fishman of Sherborne, K1BAF)
and I manned his car atop Highrock Hill, high ground in Lynn so as to
hear and reach the weakest signals, such as hand helds.

I can remember the howling winds, the car shaking, and the engine
running to provide power. When it was written up in the Lynn Item,
Aaron and I got no credit, but I recall that wasn't important.

What was important was the ethic of being a communication's foot
soldier in time of need. That same ethic continues to the present
time.

Hams are trained in efficient communications and in getting a signal
out with very little. Hams represent a fountain of communications
expertise, and that is why we are licensed by the federal government.
(We are truly a national resource.)

A governor cannot know everything, and this is apparently a blind spot.
However, I'm hoping Governor Romney can come up to speed on this
subject, because it is one near and dear to the some 500,000
practitioners in the United States and to those whom they routinely
help, like the National Weather Service.

Bob Sherin, W4ASX
In Mass., my call was W1ZHG

Open Letter to K1MAN [email protected] Policy 13 April 15th 05 07:43 PM
Want Money? Try this Out gh CB 1 March 24th 05 10:27 AM
FCC Amateur Radio Enforcement Letters for the Period Ending May 1, 2004 private General 0 May 10th 04 09:39 PM