Old February 6th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default Degen/Kaito 1103 (where to get?) (was: "Ultra" portable MW-SW-FM...)

Roger wrote:
I thank everyone for replying to my inquiry about the best small
portable MW-SW-FM radio meeting my list of specs.

With regards to the various "Faraday Cage" comments, I'll not reply to
them in any substantive way since that is off-topic here (want to
focus on "radios"), but for those interested, just do a Google search
on "EMP Faraday," and several informative articles will result.

Now, as I look things over, I'm getting more and more intrigued with
purchasing a Degen/Kaito 1103 portable.

So, where can I find this model at the lowest price? Also, should I
stick with a Kaito (for the American market), or can I consider a
Degen? (I heard the walwart with the Degen is not for U.S. voltages.)

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Roger

On Ebay you will get the best price for a Degen DE 1103. The Kaito
badged DE 1103 can be had in the U.S. for about $30.00 more.

Rather than trying to use the built-in wall wart charger I opted to
rotate two sets of NIMH batteries and a separate charger. The
built-in set-up for charging was not well designed because you have to
set the number of hours for charging - no auto sensing circuit on
either model. Leaving a portable hooked up for 12 hours seemed to
defeat it's purpose as a portable.

Old February 8th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave

I've got the review in another browser right now.

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1103.htm

Old February 20th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

Default "Ultra" portable MW-SW-FM receiver recommendations?

I dumped my 399 when I bought a Tecsun RED PL-200 !!!!!

the PL-200 is AWESOME

"Roger" wrote in message
I currently own a Radio Shack DX-399 (same model as the Sangean
ATS-606), which is a quite solid, portable LW-MW-SW-FM receiver with
quite good sound quality when delivered to ear buds (FM stereo to
earbuds.)

I mostly use this radio for local MW and FM listening, but will
occasionally listen to SW broadcasts, and DX-MW using a Radio Shack
loop.

I love this radio for its portability, but am looking for another to
put one of them away in a Faraday box for use in case of a major
emergency.

So, what other makes/models should I consider? Repeating some of the
above, here's my criteria:

1) The size of the DX-399 or smaller.

2) General coverage MW-SW (up to 30 kHz), and with stereo FM (when fed
to earbuds). Don't need LW.

3) Good sound quality (especially of FM) when fed to earbuds.

4) As good or better sensitivity than the DX-399 for MW dxing and SW.

5) Don't need SSB, but would be nice.

6) Don't care too much about speaker quality, since I would use it
exclusively with earbuds.

7) Don't care about the other bells and whistles (e.g. alarm), but
some station memory would be nice.

So what are my other options? New and/or used (buyable through eBay)
will be considered.

Thanks!

Roger