Old March 10th 06, 09:18 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Cosmo

Default Armature radio's threat from within

I'm currently listening to 7.070Mhz. The time is 19:20EDT

I find the operations by some licensed amateurs and perhaps a pirate station
is just appalling. Operators and I use the word loosely, making threats at
each other, whistling over each other and discussing tracking operators down
to sort them out!
It sounded like the 27Mhz CB band back in the mid seventies.

I can remember when amateurs took pride in their operating practices and
gentlemanly behaviour. If this what it is to become why would anyone be
attracted to the hobby unless perhaps they are an ignorant thugs. It appears
to me and I know I will be condemned for this, but we seem to have accepting
lower standards in more ways than we expected.

I believe that simply ignoring these operating practices and these operators
will allow segments of the bands to become no go ghettos. A completely
unacceptable and un-Australian outcome.
I also believe that the looming threat to this great hobby come from within
as mach as from outside forces, and there fore suggest that something akin
to intruder watch be applied to monitoring amateur operations as I think the
authorities response will be that we need to self regulate.

I am offering this observation for discussion and we be keen to see what
others think!

Cheers

Peter VK3YSF

Old March 10th 06, 10:51 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
atec77

Cosmo wrote:
[...]

Did you note the calls ?
if its Qld feel free to forward information as one of the principles
is close by and the behavior is foolish in the extreme .
Old March 10th 06, 11:00 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
bulfrog

Cosmo wrote:
[...]

Well the other night I heard an *F-call* threatening another amateur on
80mt . . then he read out his name and address just like you used to
hear on CB. And what he read out was obtainable on the ACMA website. Yes
we have taken a big step backwards.
Old March 10th 06, 11:02 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Jason Reilly

It was exactly this sort of goings-on that I heard as a SWL some 15 years
ago that made me think "why on earth would I want to become an amateur with
that sort of behaviour?".
And you know what? I never did get my licence until some 13 years after
that. So such behaviour definitely has a detrimental effect to the amateur
community at large.

Thankfully, its something I don't dwell on, and it appears to be so
infrequent that I'm not overly concerned about it. But how many other
prospective new hams have been similarly affected as SWLs?

Ta - Jason VK7ZJA

--
To reply directly from this news group message,
please remove the STOP and JUNK and change
u...

Old March 10th 06, 03:17 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Bob Bob

Hi Peter

As much as I'd like to believe this problem is isolated to radio users I
think it is actually a sociological state that the world has gotten
into. People are generally less tolerant than they use to be, more ready
to litigate, less happy, more selfish and finding that laws dont
actually reflect their concerns. ie lots of stupid ones get passed.

I came up with this upsetting conclusion some years ago and was intent
on isolating myself out in country NSW and choosing what amateurs I
would communicate with. In my case those only interested in technical
discussion and the joy of expermenting. Given at the time this
restricted me to 50MHz there was a good chance that a lot of
undesirables werent interested in optimizing their stations and thus
wouldnt appear as often. (Why would you build an expensive 2m SSB
station for example just to get angry at someone?)

I think the world will generally get worse, amateur radio included.
Apologies for the prediction but I really do think it is that bad.

I have however moved to Texas in the US. The veil of "niceness" here
seems to come from the good manners associated with local religous
beliefs. There is also a great lack of person to person contact outside
of shopping and church (if you exclude family) and the concern that
walking on ones property will get you shot! Virtually nobody walks
anywhere and cell phones are the escape for those that have to drive! I
guess if you dont interface with people you arent likley to get into
conflicts with each other!

Amateur radio here tends to be held in much higher esteem than on Oz.
This is especially so after the recent hurricanes and general civil
emergency use during tornado season. (now!) 2m FM gets a lot of civil
and 3rd party traffic but I do hear occasional nasty people populating
20m. They seem to be within a few hundred km. Thats my fault I guess for
putting up an antenna with a high angle radiation pattern!

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA East Texas

Old March 10th 06, 03:43 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
CLFE

"Jason Reilly" wrote in message
u...
It was exactly this sort of goings-on that I heard as a SWL some 15 years
ago that made me think "why on earth would I want to become an amateur
with that sort of behaviour?".
And you know what? I never did get my licence until some 13 years after
that. So such behaviour definitely has a detrimental effect to the
amateur community at large.

Thankfully, its something I don't dwell on, and it appears to be so
infrequent that I'm not overly concerned about it. But how many other
prospective new hams have been similarly affected as SWLs?

Ta - Jason VK7ZJA

--
To reply directly from this news group message,
please remove the STOP and JUNK and change
all 'z' to 's' in my email identity shown here.
"Cosmo" wrote in message
u...
[...]

There was a time I boasted amateur radio to anyone and everyone with a smile
on my face. I had adults ask me about Ham radio - they wanted their kids to
get into Radio - but NOT CB due to it's garbage dump activities. Anymore - I
don't boast Amateur Radio - to anyone - especially to children. It is a
shame what it has become. Whats even funnier is that those doing so in the
US seem to be going on forever. The FCC seems to have placed all their
efforts towards making sure Janet Jackson's tits are revealed on TV
anymore - and forgot about Ham bands and everything else for that matter.
This world is changing in more ways than one. Others I won't go into and not
radio related. It sure is going to hell in a handbasket - QUICK.

clf

Old March 10th 06, 03:56 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Caveat Lector

The Hams who spent many hours during Katrina and many other disasters would
disagree with you
I respectfully do

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"CLFE" wrote in message
"Jason Reilly" wrote in message
u...
It was exactly this sort of goings-on that I heard as a SWL some 15 years
ago that made me think "why on earth would I want to become an amateur
with that sort of behaviour?".
And you know what? I never did get my licence until some 13 years after
that. So such behaviour definitely has a detrimental effect to the
amateur community at large.

Thankfully, its something I don't dwell on, and it appears to be so
infrequent that I'm not overly concerned about it. But how many other
prospective new hams have been similarly affected as SWLs?

Ta - Jason VK7ZJA

--
To reply directly from this news group message,
please remove the STOP and JUNK and change
all 'z' to 's' in my email identity shown here.
u...

Old March 10th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Cosmo wrote:
[...]

Yeah, you really gotta watch out for those spurious emissions from
those motor armatures.

Old March 10th 06, 04:13 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
CLFE

Cosmo wrote:
I'm currently listening to 7.070Mhz. The time is 19:20EDT

Though the poster was referring to primarily to Ham Radio - I agree with
you - it isn't limited to just radio. It is a problem within society. Road
Rage - is another instance. People never used to be so bad in that respect
either. I'm sure we can mention any number of areas that fall prey. My
original post said - the world is going to hell in a handbasket -
quick...... A good start to fixing, is each of us taking responsibility for
our own actions. We all know what the rules and laws are - they were put
there for us all to get along with. Any ingnorance of or towards any of
those rules/laws - creates problems.

clf

Old March 10th 06, 11:04 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.misc
VK3YSF

I'm not saying that even most hams are not doing thing well, I'm saying that
there is sufficiently enough bad habits and lack of basic manners developing
on the bands that it's becoming a threat to the hobby and it needs to be
addressed.

I had held my licence for over twenty five years and I can't recall it
having been this bad.

Peter vk3ysf

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
The Hams who spent many hours during Katrina and many other disasters

would
disagree with you
I respectfully do

wtd: EF Johnson Challenger Mobile Radios and Remote Heads D. Schmidt Equipment 2 December 9th 09 01:19 PM
Radios On Sale Jmap702 Swap 0 March 30th 04 03:17 PM
export cb radios I Am Not George Policy 12 March 30th 04 12:44 PM
FS MOTOROLA RADIO'S John Swap 0 February 3rd 04 07:53 AM
wtd: EF Johnson Challenger Mobile Radios and Remote Heads D. Schmidt Equipment 0 November 25th 03 10:11 PM