Old March 17th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur,sci.geo.satellite-nav

Default Q Codes For Dx, Azimuth

The Q code for one's Lat/Long is QTH (is QTF the other set of
Lat/Long?), and for grid square is QRA.

For dx (between QTH and QTF?), there appear to be two possibilities:
QRB and QGE.
Is QRB supposed to be the spherical dx, while QGE is the (ellipsoidal)
geodetic dx?
Or are they pretty much interchangeable?

Likewise, the codes for azimuth (both obverse and reverse) aren't
clear.
QTI is supposed to be the obverse course/track and QTL, the heading:
So which would be considered *the* azimuth/bearing?
The reverse azimuth/bearing unanimously appears to be QTE, right?

~Kaimbridge~

-----
Wikipedia-Contributor Home Page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kaimbridge

***** Void Where Permitted; Limit 0 Per Customer. *****

Old March 17th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur,sci.geo.satellite-nav
From the shack of G1LVN

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Q code for one's Lat/Long is QTH (is QTF the other set of
Lat/Long?), and for grid square is QRA.

nope QTH is town/city

QRA is locator

For dx (between QTH and QTF?), there appear to be two possibilities:
QRB and QGE.
Is QRB supposed to be the spherical dx, while QGE is the (ellipsoidal)
geodetic dx?
Or are they pretty much interchangeable?

no-one uses those

Likewise, the codes for azimuth (both obverse and reverse) aren't
clear.
QTI is supposed to be the obverse course/track and QTL, the heading:
So which would be considered *the* azimuth/bearing?
The reverse azimuth/bearing unanimously appears to be QTE, right?

You are Airy _BEAN and I claim my five pounds!!!!!

drei unt siebzig de M0WWS
http://www.g1lvn.org.uk
"Radio has no future." - Royal Society president Lord Kelvin, 1897.

Old March 17th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Wiggy

From the shack of G1LVN wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

The Q code for one's Lat/Long is QTH (is QTF the other set of
Lat/Long?), and for grid square is QRA.

You are Airy _BEAN and I claim my five pounds!!!!!

Yes! Poor effort methinks. Once a troll always a troll!

At least it took him all evening to come up with this. Saving us from
the usual FACKS. :-)

Wiggy
Old March 18th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Caveat Lector

Are you asking about the Official Q-code lists as defined by International
Organizations
or
Common usage by Amateur Radio Operators ?

Official Q-codes are at URL:
http://www.kloth.net/radio/qcodes.php

I really haven't seen a reliable list of Ham common usage.
Perhaps the one from an ARRL Operating aid might be sited.
http://home.earthlink.net/~k7bfl/intqsig.html

An example of all this is Official QSX is "Will you listen to ... (call
sign(s)) on ... kHz (or MHz)?"

But Hams on the packet clusters use QSX to indicate where a DX station that
is operating split is listening. e.g., QSX 5 kHz

Official QTH is long/Lat, but Hams use it for city, town, or on repeaters
"Interstate 15 Southbond" or "near the mall" !

Good luck on the project. Going by common usage definitions can be fraught
with errors
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

oups.com...

Old March 22nd 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur,sci.geo.satellite-nav

Caveat Lector wrote:
Are you asking about the Official Q-code lists as defined by International
Organizations
or
Common usage by Amateur Radio Operators ?

Official Q-codes are at URL:
http://www.kloth.net/radio/qcodes.php

Okay, that is a typical source I've seen. Now look at the specific
entries:

# QTH My position is ... latitude, ... longitude (or according to
# any other indication).

"My" Lat/Long.

# QTF The position of your station according to the bearings taken
# by the D/F stations which I control was ... latitude, ...
# longitude (or other indication of position), class ...

"Your" Lat/Long.
Both *seem* pretty clear.

----------

# QRA The name of my vessel (or station) is ...

Other ham sites imply this denotes grid square coordinates
("locator")--okay, that is just variation in common usage.

----------

# QGE Your distance to my station (or to ...) is ... (distance
# figures and units).

More "precise" geodetic (ellipsoidal) distance (for official
competitions, etc.)?

# QRB The approximate distance between our stations is ... nautical
# miles (or km).

Casual/informal spherical distance for general purposes?

----------

# QTE Your TRUE bearing from me is ... degrees at ... hours.
# or
# Your TRUE bearing from ... (call sign) was ... degrees
# at ... hours.
# or
# The TRUE bearing of ... (call sign) from ... (call sign)
# was ... degrees at ... hours.

Straight forward: "Your" azimuth/bearing to "me" (i.e., the "reverse
azimuth").
Or, is QTE for *both* the forward/obverse ("me" to "you") *and* reverse
azimuth?
If not,

# QTI My TRUE track is ... degrees. [AP13]
# QTI* My TRUE course is ... degrees. [AP14]

# QTL* My TRUE heading is ... degrees.

which (if either) of these would denote the obverse azimuth?

~Kaimbridge~

-----