Old May 31st 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Roger

Default Ebay & "The Market"

On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:16:51 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Peter Wieck wrote:

a) the west, southwest and south in general suffer from a dearth of
good radios. This has been the case for the over 20 years I have been
in the hobby and remains the case today. Exceptions include Florida &
Maryland... stretch to make MD a 'southern' state although it is below
the Mason/Dixon line.

According to the snowbirds from the New England area, Florida is the
southern tip of new England.

Michigan!

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old May 31st 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Roger

On 30 May 2006 06:55:19 -0700, "Steven"
wrote:

I suppose next you'll attack yard sales. You're despicable.

Who? You didn't include any quote to know to whom you are referring
and these posts don't necessarily fall in the expected order.

Old May 31st 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Michael A. Terrell

wrote:

According to the snowbirds from the New England area, Florida is the
southern tip of new England.

Michigan!

I do see a few Michigan plates around here, but most are New York,
New Jersey, and New Hampshire. There are also a few Ohio, Indiana,
Kentucky and Pennsylvania plates. Of course they've all left for the
summer, because its too hot for them.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old May 31st 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

wrote:

I suppose next you'll attack yard sales. You're despicable.

Who? You didn't include any quote to know to whom you are referring
and these posts don't necessarily fall in the expected order.

Resort them by thread by using Google reader. Some of the off-line
readers do a poor job of tracking threads.

Old May 31st 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"John S." wrote:

They will be left in the dust. I suppose those who don't have a
computer or don't trust online transactions could try setting up an
ether-based net using morse code. I suspect that it will be largely
one-way communications though.

Like yours.

Like yours???? To increase the chances someone will understand you
try writing in complete sentences.

Welcome to the bit bucket.

Thanks for the welcome, but I won't be staying. I take it you are in
charge of the bit bucket?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old May 31st 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Steven

wrote:

I suppose next you'll attack yard sales. You're despicable.

Who? You didn't include any quote to know to whom you are referring
and these posts don't necessarily fall in the expected order.

Resort them by thread by using Google reader. Some of the off-line
readers do a poor job of tracking threads.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

It was John S. when he posted on the 30th I was replying to. Mike
plonked him.

This usenet synopsis brought to you by Soap Opera Update magazine.

Old June 2nd 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Too_Many_Tools

"An enforced set start time makes it more fair, as Extravaganza and
Charlotte have
proved. The other two should consider that... "

Well said....the greedy *******s who shop before the starting gun have
been responsible for more people not coming back than anyone wants to
admit.

And the clueless sellers who feed these buzzards are fools since it is
clear that they could get more money for thier wares if they would wait
till the starting time and raise their prices.

TMT

Mark Oppat wrote:
You cant touch or feel or converse as well with internet sales....nothing
beats the face to face events, if they are well run. In the antique radio
world, Extravaganza is one of the best, Bolingbrook is making a strong
comeback from the Elgin days, Charlotte is strong and Kutztown is
overflowing into the next pavilion.

All you have to do is have a good facility, be open to the general public
for free or little money, and promote your show like crazy. An enforced
set start time makes it more fair, as Extravaganza and Charlotte have
proved. The other two should consider that...

I sold at Dayton in '96 and '97. It was sliding down then even in my
opinion... I only sold about $1300 worth in two days... about half that
could be considered profit. Not worth it for what was essentially 4.5 days
worth of work (1 day loading, 2 days there, one day RT driving, half day
unloading). I had all tube era stuff.. tube sockets, capacitors, trimmers,
Ham type tubes, etc, etc. All the guys stolling by had "Rice Boxes"
strapped to their belts and didnt know which end of a soldering iron to
hold. One guy even held up an old RCA 811 tube to show his buddy and said
"I remember when we used to use these things!" His buddy'd never seen a
tube I think, and he was about 35, this being back in '96.
I had 100 pc bags of mylar and filter caps priced lower than anywhere, and I
mean ANYWHERE. Still do.

Mark Oppat

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Peter Wieck wrote:
After reading all this, and with the recent Kutztown event in the
background, as well as my three weekend finds, I am not so sure eBay
has much to do with anything as to radio prices or availability. This
is based on several assumptions which I will list for
correction/addition/amplification:

Internet based sales have a huge advantage over in-place sales like
Dayton. Ebay and other sales sites can as we all know bring sellers
from around the world at any time of the day. It just isn't possible
to get that kind of coverage at an arena in Ohio.

To the extent that buyer and seller are honest (and most are) internet
sales work very well because money and the good to be sold have to be
moved only once.

It is for the exact same reason that in-person antique shows are having
a hard go of it.

Old June 2nd 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Steven

wrote:

I suppose next you'll attack yard sales. You're despicable.

Who? You didn't include any quote to know to whom you are referring
and these posts don't necessarily fall in the expected order.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

It was a joke anyway. Use Google. I can't keep a scorecard on a thread
with 102+ posts either...