Old June 1st 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave

Default OT: Dayton HamFest killed by E-Bay

KD6EVM wrote:
wrote:
I get approx 27 mpg with my Subaru WRX and there's 3 of us to share the
gas if I were all that uptight about the gas, which I'm not. I don't
lose any sleep, I just go to bed before Jay Leno instead of after. And
that's a pretty low rate for Hamvention weekend. Anyway, its only
$8.88 for gas per day, which is just dirt cheap. Find a motel like
Holiday (pool, hi speed access) that is closer for the $8.88.
Unlikely.

As for the driving, I drove 550 miles to get there, and 550 back, so 40
is just not noticable...

Dave Head

Dang! I have never been able to squeeze more than 23MPG out of my WRX.

Have you ever passed anybody?

Tom
KD6EVM

The 27 mpg happens mostly on long trips. I might have been a bit
optimistic to apply that number to the drive from our motel to the
Hamvention, but I can get 24 doing it, if I don't hit the gas too hard
getting on the interstate. Of course, the interstate is done on cruise
control, and the area is flat, so no hill climbing, or not much,
anyway.

This is a vanilla WRX, not an STI, and yes, I pass 'em all the time.
Its just that I use cruise control a lot, at +7 of the speed limit, and
that does pass some people. I mostly pass 'em when they pull off the
road to whiz, get gas, eat, or one of several other delays that I
minimize. I don't usually stop at all until the car needs gas. This
seems to make for good mileage.

Dave Head
K8DH

Old June 2nd 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Steven

wrote:
KD6EVM wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I got an amazing 39+ mpg from a 2.3L FWD Ford Tempo once, headed over
White Bird Hill into Grangeville, Idaho. Three weeks later the
transmission bit the dust.