Old May 25th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Steven

Default Rumors Dayton killed by hams untrue

It was an average orthodox Fest. Hams did not make it choke.

Old May 25th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
John Goller, k9uwa

Default Dayton HamFest killed by E-Bay

In article . com,
says...

We generally stay at the Holiday Inn at one of the Sidney exits. $69
Thursday night (business rates), $59 Friday and Saturday nights.
Dave Head
K8DH

15 mpg avg x 80 miles = 5 gallon x 3 = 15 bucks per day added to
room rate for gas... plus whatever you figure your sleep time
lost is worth
John k9uwa

Old May 26th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave

I get approx 27 mpg with my Subaru WRX and there's 3 of us to share the
gas if I were all that uptight about the gas, which I'm not. I don't
lose any sleep, I just go to bed before Jay Leno instead of after. And
that's a pretty low rate for Hamvention weekend. Anyway, its only
$8.88 for gas per day, which is just dirt cheap. Find a motel like
Holiday (pool, hi speed access) that is closer for the $8.88.
Unlikely.

As for the driving, I drove 550 miles to get there, and 550 back, so 40
is just not noticable...

Dave Head

Old May 29th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
chuck

Default NOT !!! Dayton HamFest killed by E-Bay

New radios with all bells + whistles
cheaper then a 20yr old as is doa rig

what kills hamfests is lack of interest

buyers of estate gear at dirp cheap prices
that markup to sell on ebay and hamfests.

Old May 29th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Dave Head

On Mon, 29 May 2006 14:22:11 GMT, chuck wrote:

New radios with all bells + whistles
cheaper then a 20yr old as is doa rig

And even cheaper when you buy it at the Hamvention - same rig in the store a
day later is $50 more...

what kills hamfests is lack of interest

Sure, but the reason for the lack of interest is the crux of the situation.

buyers of estate gear at dirp cheap prices
that markup to sell on ebay and hamfests.

Some people gotta make a buck... But the Hamvention is coming back, I think -
there were _definitely_ more people there than last year, and equal or more
exhibitors both in the flea market and inside. We may yet get back to the
state of affairs where there's 30,000 people coming to the Hamvention again,
complete with a banquet and free buses, and buses to the motels. We can hope -
its a great weekend.

We do need more ham radio gear and less outright junk in the flea market, tho.

Dave Head
Old May 30th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Dave Head

On Mon, 29 May 2006 21:54:13 -0400, "Red Panty Man"
wrote:

"Dave Head" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 29 May 2006 14:22:11 GMT, chuck wrote:

New radios with all bells + whistles
cheaper then a 20yr old as is doa rig

And even cheaper when you buy it at the Hamvention - same rig in the store

day later is $50 more...

A savings of $50 is a hill-o-beans when the
radio sells for 5G anyway

I was thinking more like a hi-end HT, at maybe $350 instead of the regular
price of $400.

and is buillt inside
like a cheap VCR (most Icoms fall into this category)

Not the Kenwoods I buy. I think ICOM makes some fine radios, too - they're
pretty well respected, and most everybody wants a 756...

Dave Head

Dave Head

Old May 30th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Not!!!

What are you talking about....not what. Try writing in complete
sentences.

Old May 30th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

JS - try rdg txt msgng on a celfone ~ RHF