Old June 30th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Tom Ring

Default Field day was great, even the phonies had fun and learned fromus dinosaurs.

Slow wrote:

Tom Ring wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

He's not just Slow Code, he's slow everything, especially on the
uptake.

Yes, but I'm still faster than you.

sc

And won't tell you who he is. Chicken **** seems an appropriate
description.

Although I'd bet I can find out who it is. I won't bother, but it isn't
all that hard if you know the ISP business. And since that's what I do
for a living...

tom
K0TAR

I'm really happy the FCC eliminated the 20 wpm Code requirement so you
could get your Extra.

sc

Are you sure I don't know 20?

And with that you join another idiot.

PLONK!

Old June 30th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Cecil Moore

Slow Code wrote:
That's generally when you find out your rig might need repair, when
someone reports your audio is distorted or garbled.

I invariably find out my rig needs repair when the
finals blow.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old June 30th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
J. D. B.

Wow, you guys must have been part of the most ignorant group of
individuals ever put on this earth using the most crappy computers and
equipment. All the computers crashed? Wow, how could that have happened?

I am surprised that the newbies are still using ham radio after hanging
around with you dinos. Computers broke down and you could not help fix
them. That's right, the computers don't run on tubes and that is the
extent of your knowledge as dinos.

Now anyone that uses PSK knows that you can work a station that you
cannot hear with the human ear. Anyone that knows CW knows that you
have to hear CW in order to copy it. So as a dino, you are showing your
ignorance of technology and probably have never heard, seen or used PSK
or you would never have made that statement.

My Field Day group had a good laugh when I pointed out your message to
them. They said you obviously don't know what you are talking about -
at least concerning anything modern.

So you old, used up, worthless dinos laughed at the newbies, belittled
them, and you could not fix or use anything modern. And you think those
newbies are going to stick with ham radio? Probably not. Old thinking
buggy whip hams like yourself need to stay locked in your shacks talking
only with other dinos about your illnesses and the like, and stay away
from the younger technology savy crowd as they might be really
interested in ham radio and your old crap is going to scare them away.

They don't want to learn about buggy whips when they are interested in
driving a modern car - get it old timer?

Slow Code wrote:

I know you're right.

They where doing great until the computers crashed then the new hams
looked at us old hams, blank stares on their faces wondering what to do.
They thought Field day was over at the point. Then us dino's took over
and showed them what ham radio really was. Some nickle extra's even said
they were going practice building their code skills again. They saw you
can work stations on code that you can't work on phone or PSK31. We
taught them how to solder on PL-259s and tune portable antenna & trim wire
antennas.

We laughed when they lifted up the tri-bander and then had to take it down
again to connect up the coax. That was funny.

SC

Old July 1st 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy

"J. D. B." wrote in
:

[...]

These new modernized hams want everything to be easy just like flipping
the on-off switch on an appliance. We try and tell them that ham radio is
more than just operating an appliance, but they won't listen. Then when
murphy's law kicks in they don't know how to deal with it. I feel sorry
for them, but it's really not their fault that licensing has been dumbed
down over the years. The phonies did notice after we put the broken
computers in the dumpster that the bands sounded much better without all
the computer generated noise on their receivers. And their contacts per
minute increased. They realize now that when equipment fails it's nice to
have skills you can fall back on that will let you keep communicating.
Especially important during emergencies. Hams wouldn't look good if
during an emergency we couldn't communicate.

SC
Old July 1st 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Cecil Moore wrote in
. com:

Slow Code wrote:
That's generally when you find out your rig might need repair, when
someone reports your audio is distorted or garbled.

I invariably find out my rig needs repair when the
finals blow.

And how many times has that happened to you? I'll bet never. You're too
smart to smoke your finals. Normally when I hear someone lost their
finals it was a result of operator error, or an act of stupidity.

sc

Old July 1st 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Slow Code, I think it is time you put up or shut up. If the skills among
you dinos were so great, then you had to finish at the top of your
category. So tell us now, what group were you part of, what section,
and what category did you compete in?

Then, when the results are published, we will compare your standings
with those other groups who had the modern, technically trained operators.

We'll see if the dinos are extinct or if modern humans have triumphed.

Old July 1st 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Slow Code wrote:
Hams wouldn't look good if
during an emergency we couldn't communicate.

So exactly how do hams communicate with failed
equipment?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 1st 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Slow Code wrote:
And how many times has that happened to you? I'll bet never. You're too
smart to smoke your finals. Normally when I hear someone lost their
finals it was a result of operator error, or an act of stupidity.

Act of God - lightning. And the CW mode was not spared.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 1st 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Cecil Moore wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
Hams wouldn't look good if
during an emergency we couldn't communicate.

So exactly how do hams communicate with failed
equipment?

CW just needs a a code key and mircalously it gets through no radio
needed

I thought you knew that Sir
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 1st 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy

"J. D. B." wrote in
:

Slow Code, I think it is time you put up or shut up. If the skills among
you dinos were so great, then you had to finish at the top of your
category. So tell us now, what group were you part of, what section,
and what category did you compete in?

Then, when the results are published, we will compare your standings
with those other groups who had the modern, technically trained
operators.

We'll see if the dinos are extinct or if modern humans have triumphed.

Even if only three contacts are made, the score isn't what's important.
What is important is showing and training new hams in how to communicate
and operate effectively during emergencies and not be Appliance operators.
Hams like you that worry about final score are more likely to cheat
because you choose to ignore or fail to see the things that are important.

SC