Old August 18th 06, 11:02 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Tom Tom is offline

Default VHF/UHF antenna on a motorcycle

Hello all ,

I would like to install a VHF-UHF antenna on my motorcycle . It's a Suzuki
GSX750 . I did some tests with a Diamond NR-770H and it works well . The
only problem is that the antenna is to big for such a bike .
Afterwards i did a test with a Diamond NR-77 . The antenna is about 43 cm
and that's about the size i would like to use .
The problem i have with this antenna is the swr , it's to high .

Anyone an idea how i can solve this problem ?

Many thanks .

Tom

Old August 18th 06, 12:04 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Tom wrote:
Hello all ,

I would like to install a VHF-UHF antenna on my motorcycle

Anyone an idea how i can solve this problem ?

Andy suggests:
Well, if it were me, I think it would look really cool on top
of my helmet.
As an alternative, you could mount a couple of Viking horns
on either side of the helmet, and use them as a dipole....
Use Texas longhorns if you want to go to HF......
Lots of fashion possibilities..

Good luck, Andy W4OAH

Old August 18th 06, 12:54 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Here is a helmet model ;-)
http://www.armyradio.com/arsc/custom...&cat=99&page=1
as Andy suggests

--
Christen Fihl
http://HSPascal.Fihl.net

Old August 18th 06, 01:22 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

AndyS wrote:
Tom wrote:
Hello all ,

I would like to install a VHF-UHF antenna on my motorcycle

Anyone an idea how i can solve this problem ?

Andy suggests:
Well, if it were me, I think it would look really cool on top
of my helmet.

LIke those 1950's sci-fi movie astronauts!

As an alternative, you could mount a couple of Viking horns
on either side of the helmet, and use them as a dipole....
Use Texas longhorns if you want to go to HF......
Lots of fashion possibilities..

Good luck, Andy W4OAH

LOL!!!!!!!!

Old August 18th 06, 04:39 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Tom wrote:

Hello all ,

I would like to install a VHF-UHF antenna on my motorcycle . It's a Suzuki
GSX750 . I did some tests with a Diamond NR-770H and it works well . The
only problem is that the antenna is to big for such a bike .
Afterwards i did a test with a Diamond NR-77 . The antenna is about 43 cm
and that's about the size i would like to use .
The problem i have with this antenna is the swr , it's to high .

Anyone an idea how i can solve this problem ?

Many thanks .

You may not be getting a proper counter-poise to the antenna system.

I would check grounding on the antenna and make certain the antenna
mount is in good solid contact with the metal frame of the bike.

You mentioned the larger antenna worked well. Does that mean the SWR
was good or it just performed adequately?

Which band is having the SWR problems?

What type of mount does the Diamond use? I am very partial to the NMO
type antenna mount. I know there are some antennas that use an SO239
type mount which is just a "UHF" connector on the end of a piece of
coax. These are not that well suited for 70cm operation although you do
see them quite a bit.

Also, how much power are you going to be putting into the antenna? I
would be concerned about RF exposure if its very much.

Andy
WD4KDN

Old August 18th 06, 07:16 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

"Tom" wrote in message
Hello all ,

I would like to install a VHF-UHF antenna on my motorcycle . It's a Suzuki
GSX750 . I did some tests with a Diamond NR-770H and it works well . The
only problem is that the antenna is to big for such a bike .
Afterwards i did a test with a Diamond NR-77 . The antenna is about 43 cm
and that's about the size i would like to use .
The problem i have with this antenna is the swr , it's to high .

Anyone an idea how i can solve this problem ?

Many thanks .

Tom

Just a word of caution:

Years ago, when the Brussels police had VHF radios mounted on BMW bikes for
the first time, the ABS brakes stopped functioning when the transmitter was
on (Not only the ABS, the brakes).

I suppose ABS brakes are more EMC proof nowadays, but you can not be too
sure.

Old August 19th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:02:01 GMT, "Tom"
wrote:

Hello all ,

I would like to install a VHF-UHF antenna on my motorcycle . It's a Suzuki
GSX750 . I did some tests with a Diamond NR-770H and it works well . The
only problem is that the antenna is to big for such a bike .
Afterwards i did a test with a Diamond NR-77 . The antenna is about 43 cm
and that's about the size i would like to use .
The problem i have with this antenna is the swr , it's to high .

Anyone an idea how i can solve this problem ?

Many thanks .

Tom

Use a 1/2 wave antenna. Many marine shops stock VHF 1/2 wave antennas
for mast top mounting on sail boats. The beauty is no counterpoise is
required. I think some looking at Randall / Larson you will also find
they make 1/2 wave antennas.

For the typical automotive installed mobile whip you will need a
counterpoise. Generally on the auto that's not a problem as the body
is metal and presents a nice large ground plane.

Gary K8IZ
Old August 20th 06, 04:07 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.vhf-uhf,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.misc

From: Tom on Fri, Aug 18 2006 3:02 am

I would like to install a VHF-UHF antenna on my motorcycle . It's a Suzuki
GSX750 . I did some tests with a Diamond NR-770H and it works well . The
only problem is that the antenna is to big for such a bike .
Afterwards i did a test with a Diamond NR-77 . The antenna is about 43 cm
and that's about the size i would like to use .
The problem i have with this antenna is the swr , it's to high .

Anyone an idea how i can solve this problem ?

Try contacting your local PD radio repair place.

Motorcycle police have been using VHF-UHF radios on their
motors for over 40 years. Successfully. They must be
doing something right, yes? :-)

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Bose Wave Radio - What's Your Opinion ? David Shortwave 16 June 12th 06 07:48 AM
Outside Antenna Rikk Shortwave 25 March 6th 06 06:53 PM
The "Almost" Delta Loop Antenna for Limited Space Shortwave Listening (SWL) made from TV 'type' Parts RHF Shortwave 0 October 16th 05 12:34 PM
WHY - The simple Random Wire Antenna is better than the Dipole Antenna for the Shortwave Listener (SWL) RHF Shortwave 15 September 13th 05 08:28 AM
Outdoor Scanner antenna and eventually a reference to SW reception Soliloquy Shortwave 2 September 29th 03 04:04 PM