Old November 30th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Where to purchase Fair-Rite toroid?

Amidon sells the Fair-Rite toroid 5977003801 as Core Number FT-240-77 @ $9
each. In an attempt to get a better price, I contacted Lodestone Pacific and
was told that this particular item has a "grid" of 50 which means their
minimum order quantity is 50. I don't mind ordering 10 toroids, but 50
toroids would last me several lifetimes. A company called Kreg Component
also handles this item, but it is on back order. Any suggestions on where to
buy this toroid at a better price than Amidon?

Old December 3rd 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Try Dan's small parts at:

http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/

-Bob
Old December 7th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

If you can translate Fair-Rite's part numbers (obvious after awhile),
CWS Byremark has an extensive stock of all types with reasonable price
and shipping. For common types, it's had to beat Diz's bundles at
kitsandparts, though.
Ted

Old December 1st 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
"John, N9JG" wrote:

Amidon sells the Fair-Rite toroid 5977003801 as Core Number FT-240-77 @ $9
each. In an attempt to get a better price, I contacted Lodestone Pacific and
was told that this particular item has a "grid" of 50 which means their
minimum order quantity is 50. I don't mind ordering 10 toroids, but 50
toroids would last me several lifetimes. A company called Kreg Component
also handles this item, but it is on back order. Any suggestions on where to
buy this toroid at a better price than Amidon?

John,

It's tough to find better pricing in low quantities. Considering that
even small toroids are at least $0.50, a big one like FT-240-77 for $9
doesn't seem out of line for 1~10 pcs. At least Amidon makes it possible
to buy in such small quantities. Another good supplier is Ocean State
Electronics (http://www.oselectronics.com) and their price is $8.75.

So, whatcha building anyway?

--
Joe K9LY

Old December 1st 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Yes, Amidon's price is fair, but if I can buy 10 of these large toroids for
$6 rather than $10, I would probably bite.

These toroids are for use as common-mode filters for wires leading to/from
electronic equipment. My ham rig operates primarily in the bands between 1.8
& 21.5 MHz.

Old December 1st 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
John, N9JG wrote:

Yes, Amidon's price is fair, but if I can buy 10 of these large toroids for
$6 rather than $10, I would probably bite.

These toroids are for use as common-mode filters for wires leading to/from
electronic equipment. My ham rig operates primarily in the bands between 1.8
& 21.5 MHz.

You might want to check with electronic-surplus stores. Most of the
ones around here have a fair supply of ferrite cylinders and toroids
of various sizes (some pre-wound with wire, others bare). A lot of
them appear to have been intended for power-supply filtering
applications of one sort or another, and might be suitable for your
needs.

Being that they're ferrite, there's little or no standardization in
labelling or color coding (and many of them are "naked" ferrite with
no coding at all) - you'd have to buy a few, and then run some
inductance-vs.-frequency tests to see if you could figure out what
sort of ferrite mix was used and whether its inductance and loss in
your frequency range is acceptable.

It's a bit of a carp-shoot, but if you're lucky you might be able to
pick up a bunch of usable ones (if not necessarily of the exact same
size and mix you were thinking of) for rather less money... maybe as
little as a dollar or two each.

Hmmm. As an example, I just checked one surplus dealer (www.mpja.com)
and see that they have a Magnetics ferrite toroid, 1.9" OD, made by
Magnetics, of a type "J" ferrite mix (permeability 5000), intended for
EMI/RFI filtering (and for broadband transformers below 1 MHz). Data
sheet for this mix can be found at

http://www.mag-inc.com/pdf/Ferrites/...aterials_J.pdf

MPJA sells these for $3.95 each in onesies, $2.95 if you want 20 or
more. If those would do, you could buy 20 for the same $60 that you
were hoping to be able to spend for ten of the Fair-Rite toroids.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old December 3rd 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hi all..
when i need toroids i use
www.kitsandparts.com
great price and fast delivery
and he is fast if you should need an answer for
somthing..
vy 73 de oz1lqb