Old December 11th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default A different view of the code test option

Andy writes
Well, I've read the posts here, as well as the vitriol being thrown
around,
and it's obvious that a lot of people have strong opinions about the
usefulness
of the code test.

As a pragmatist , here is MY two cents worth.

1) No-code operators won't be on the CW bands, so those of us that
us CW won't even know they are around.

2) Most, if not damn near ALL equipment being put on the air now are
appliances bought in the store what have been type accepted.
Consequently, no degradation of technical standards will occur, as
MOST of the equipment are designed by professionals anyway,
and I doubt that many no-code operators will try to build their
own.

3) Those FEW, like myself, who build their own equipment know lthere
is NO correlation between knowing Morse Code and the technical
design of a radio. We learned Morse because we had to, and
either learned to love it or promptly forgot it as we designed
our
SSB and FM radios for the next several decades.....

4) Finally, the ONLY concern I have is that portions of the CW bands
may eventually be taken away and given to the appliance operators.
If interest in the CW bands dwindles, that's probably just an
evolutionary step... However, having CW as a requirement will
NOT make newbies want to use it when they can just talk into
a microphone and jabber away. It's a new breed of internet-savy
operators, and already the newsgroups ( like THIS ONE) are
attracting far more people who like to talk with strangers than
an expensive appliance that interferes with the wife's TV programs
.... I'm afraid ham radio is dwindling, but it will be around
for the rest of my lifetime, and that's OK .....

That's how I see it. Having a code requirement is simply an obstacle
to hurdle in getting a license. It may as well be required for a
driver's
license for all the "technical" good it does. On the other hand, it
does give us Extras a sort of "elite" status for having earned it....
I'm glad to have the ability to have Morse Code, typing, memorization
of the
color codes, and good looks on my resume....

Andy W4OAH in Eureka , Texas

Old December 11th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Please folks, do not reply to these off topic posts.

If these idiots never get any replies, they will eventually give up
and go away.

Thanks,

Bill, W6WRT
Old December 11th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bill Turner wrote:
Please folks, do not reply to these off topic posts.

If these idiots never get any replies, they will eventually give up
and go away.

Thanks,

Bill, W6WRT

Andy writes:
I agree with Bill W6WRT.

Since I have seen so many postings about this on this newsgroup, I
just ASSUMED that folks here wanted to talk about it.....

I did a "reply" using "google" to one of the other posts, and found
that it was multiply cross posted to a LOT of groups, meaning that
somebody just wanted to make a fuss...... TROLLING.....

I apologize to Bill, and everyone else here, for not looking more
closely
at the subject before posting to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I can't say it won't happen again, ever, but I'll try to watch it in
the future, and would ENCOURAGE anyone who just hits a
"reply" button to check to see if it is being crossposted.... If it is,
please go to the group that is interested in it and don't plague
the newsgroups with spam....... as Bill and I have just done (grin)..

Andy W4OAH

Old December 11th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"AndyS" ) writes:
Andy writes
Well, I've read the posts here, as well as the vitriol being thrown
around,

No, the posts aren't here, they are cross-posted by idiots who think
whatever it is they have to say is so important that they need to spew
it across the newsgroups.

If you really wanted to address the issue, then you go elsewhere to
post, where such posts belong. At the very least, and you should always
think twice about it, you reply to the cross-posted junk rather than
start a new thread that is only in rec.radio.amateur.homebrew YOu can
even reply to those existing threads and take out the irrelevant newsgroups,
such as this one.

For most of a decade (and likely before) we've been relatively isolated,
as if the people who do all that cross-posting don't think that building
radio equipment is actually part of the hobby. But their need to spread
their junk has meant don't keep it in rec.radio.amateur.policy where it
belongs, they don't even keep it there and in rec.radio.amateur.misc
where it was often kept until relatively, they spew to all kinds of newsgroups
as they catch on that there are other ones. So they spew into
rec.radio.shortwave, and the spew into the more technical newsgroups like
this one and rec.radio.amateur.antenna

LIke Bill Turner said, don't reply to them. But that doesn't mean starting
the arguments here in standalone threads, either.

Michael VE2BVW

Old December 11th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 11 Dec 2006 07:36:51 -0800, AndyS wrote:
Bill Turner wrote:
Please folks, do not reply to these off topic posts.
If these idiots never get any replies, they will eventually give up
and go away.

Bill, W6WRT

Andy writes:
I agree with Bill W6WRT.

If everybody would just take step one: Killfile postings from Google.

The OP:

Each posting that Bill has commented on in the rec.radio.amateur.* ng's
was ooze emanating from Google.

Jonesy -- never seeing Google posts, but forced to wade past the followups.
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http//jonz.net/ng.htm

Old December 12th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy

"AndyS" wrote in
oups.com:

Andy writes:
I agree with Bill W6WRT.

Since I have seen so many postings about this on this newsgroup, I
just ASSUMED that folks here wanted to talk about it.....

Andy, Welcome to the group.

A lot of people here want to talk about it and find your point of view on
CW interesting reading. Just ignore Bill Turdner. Don't let his insults
bother you, he likes to act like an asshole sometimes. If the ship he
was on was sinking he wouldn't know about it until he was drowning. As
far as your view that CW is just a hurdle to getting a license, I vote for
keeping the hurdle. At least when they get licensed they have a skill
then. To many of them just want to get a license and talk on a
microphone. Any CB'er can to that.

SC
Old December 19th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bill Turner wrote in
:

Please folks, do not reply to these off topic posts.

If these idiots never get any replies, they will eventually give up
and go away.

Good heavens, Bill! I appreciate the sentiment, but you do realize
that you've become just another disruptive poster on the newsgroups. I
don't see the jerks, but I do see your posts to them. Someone is always
trying to "Clean up Dodge City", and they always fail. Give it a break,
and excercise your filters!

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -