Old December 23rd 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Older ARRL Handbooks

wrote:

You can download free a long list of archaic technical books, including
a number of ARRL Handbooks, at the following URL:

http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

Some more here, plus some QEX

http://info.awmn.net/users/images/st...y/RadioTheory/

Regards,

Mike Monett

Old December 23rd 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Well, after much hair pulling and gnashing of teeth, I managed to
download the 15th edition of Radio Handbook last night. No straight
receivers that use tubes, though. Going to have to look at the math
section to see if there's some way I can work up a schematic of my own.
Thing is, math isn't my strong suit.

Also going to have a look at some of the older books. If worse comes to
worst, I know of a few places online where I can buy the tube that are
in the schematics I do have.

Ralph

Old December 23rd 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
julian814 wrote:
All right, I'm hoping someone here can clue me into finding the one(s)
I want. What I need is a handbook that has schematics for tube
equipment circa the 1960's. I have a boxful of tubes from television
sets from that era, and I was hoping I could put together a receiver
from some of them. I do have the first volume of Impoverished Radio
Experimenter, which talks about using "newer" tubes in older
schematics, but the scant few Lindsay talks about aren't among the
tubes in my box.

How complex of a receiver are you looking to build?

Nothing too complex, two tubes or so. What I want to build is something
that looks like it's from a 1950's Cold War era post apocalyptic story.
I definitely want to use tubes, and I have some headphones from that
era as well. The receiver has to be able to drive the headphones. They
are NOT crystal headphones.

There are a PILE of simple tube circuits on
http://www.intio.or.jp/jf10zl/index.html .

Most of them use Japanese tubes (the site is in Japan, after allg) but
I would suggest in many cases you can figure out what U.S. tubes are
similar.

Fascinating, but I didn't see anything close to what I'm looking for.
Thanks anyway.

Ralph

Old December 24th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

julian814 wrote:
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
julian814 wrote:
[...]

I don't recall the url but I remember a 2-3 tube receiver from the 40's
that might be what you want. It was a simple superhet with a
regenerative detector. Used a 6k8 as the converter and a 6c8g as the
detector / audio. It drove a pair of magnetic phones. The set used two
plugin coils, one for the antenna circuit and one for the oscillator.
Each antenna coil served double duty as the oscillator coil on the next
higher band (moved the antenna coil from the antenna coil socket to the
oscillator coil socket and put a new coil in the antenna coil socket to
change bands). There is a variation that added a 6sj7 as the detector
and the other half of the 6c8 became a bfo.

This first appeared in Feb 1941 QST. The details are on the web
someplace, google for it.
Old December 24th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

julian814 wrote:
How complex of a receiver are you looking to build?

Nothing too complex, two tubes or so. What I want to build is something
that looks like it's from a 1950's Cold War era post apocalyptic story.
I definitely want to use tubes, and I have some headphones from that
era as well. The receiver has to be able to drive the headphones. They
are NOT crystal headphones.

There are a PILE of simple tube circuits on
http://www.intio.or.jp/jf10zl/index.html .

Most of them use Japanese tubes (the site is in Japan, after allg) but
I would suggest in many cases you can figure out what U.S. tubes are
similar.

Fascinating, but I didn't see anything close to what I'm looking for.
Thanks anyway.

I would suggest this one ( http://www.intio.or.jp/jf10zl/17ew8.htm )
would be a good starting point. It should work with most standard
double-triodes (12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 12SN7, etc.) or two single triodes.
(6C4, 6J5, etc.).

This one ( http://www.intio.or.jp/jf10zl/12au70v1.htm ) could also be
adapted - use more than 12 volts on the plates and put a ~5k:8-ohm
transformer in the plate of the second tube (instead of the R-C network)
and it should do what you're trying to do.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old December 24th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

ken scharf ) writes:
julian814 wrote:
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
julian814 wrote:
[...]

They were called "supergainers" and apparently Frank Jones, of later
VHF fame, was a big proponent of them in the thirties.

The earlier Radio Handbook on that webpage someone posted about would
have them, the 1936 version or whatever. I didn't suggest downloading
that one since I had the impression the tubes available to the original
poster were miniature, and the book predates those.

Michael VE2BVW
Old December 24th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael Black wrote:
ken scharf ) writes:
I don't recall the url but I remember a 2-3 tube receiver from the 40's
that might be what you want. It was a simple superhet with a
regenerative detector. Used a 6k8 as the converter and a 6c8g as the
detector / audio.

They were called "supergainers" and apparently Frank Jones, of later
VHF fame, was a big proponent of them in the thirties.

The earlier Radio Handbook on that webpage someone posted about would
have them, the 1936 version or whatever. I didn't suggest downloading
that one since I had the impression the tubes available to the original
poster were miniature, and the book predates those.

Thanks, Mike, Ken. I'll have to take a look. I did manage to download
some of the files on designing circuits with tubes, and with the online
tube manuals I might be able to figure out something on my own. Still,
if anyone can think of where I can find something already made up that
I can use, I'd appreciate it.

Ralph

Old December 24th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

HERE'S the link http://www.io.com/~nielw/3tubrcvr/3tubrcvr.htm
Old December 24th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

ken scharf wrote:
julian814 wrote:
Michael Black wrote:
ken scharf ) writes:
[...]

Oh, nearly forgot....
With a little head scratching, you can replace the 6K8 with a 6u8, 6ea8,
6x8 (etc) triode/pentode. Use the pentode as the mixer and the triode
as the oscillator. In many cases the inter-electrode capacitance inside
the tube will provide enough coupling from the oscillator to the mixer,
but you might need to use a gimick capacitor (twisted wires) from the
pentode grid to the oscillator plate. Other tricks are to connect the
pentode screen to the oscillator plate, or in the case of the 6x8, the
pentode grid 3 to the oscillator grid.

The 6c8 may be replaced by ANY dual triode (such as 12au7, 12at7, 12ax7,
6sn7,6sl7, etc....)
Old December 24th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

ken scharf wrote:
julian814 wrote:
Michael Black wrote:
ken scharf ) writes:
[...]

Link to follow up... http://www.io.com/~nielw/3tube_xtal/3tube_xtal.htm

AMATEUR RADIO VOLUNTEERS FILLING COMMUNICATION GAPS IN GULF REGIONfrom today's ARRL Letter Dave Heil Policy 0 September 10th 05 03:57 AM
ARRL Admits Mistakes in Regulation By Bandwidth Proposal policy-ham Policy 3 July 20th 05 04:49 PM
ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
NEED - ARRL Handbooks SAM Homebrew 0 October 1st 03 04:43 AM