Old December 21st 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Older ARRL Handbooks

All right, I'm hoping someone here can clue me into finding the one(s)
I want. What I need is a handbook that has schematics for tube
equipment circa the 1960's. I have a boxful of tubes from television
sets from that era, and I was hoping I could put together a receiver
from some of them. I do have the first volume of Impoverished Radio
Experimenter, which talks about using "newer" tubes in older
schematics, but the scant few Lindsay talks about aren't among the
tubes in my box.

I've found a very good used book search engine, but unless I have a
better idea of what to look for, It's going to be hit and miss. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

Old December 21st 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

julian814 wrote:
All right, I'm hoping someone here can clue me into finding the one(s)
I want. What I need is a handbook that has schematics for tube
equipment circa the 1960's. ...

Just about any year's Handbook from the 60's would have what you're
looking for. They really didn't change that much from year to year.
Old December 21st 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"julian814" ) writes:
All right, I'm hoping someone here can clue me into finding the one(s)
I want. What I need is a handbook that has schematics for tube
equipment circa the 1960's. I have a boxful of tubes from television
sets from that era, and I was hoping I could put together a receiver
from some of them. I do have the first volume of Impoverished Radio
Experimenter, which talks about using "newer" tubes in older
schematics, but the scant few Lindsay talks about aren't among the
tubes in my box.

I've found a very good used book search engine, but unless I have a
better idea of what to look for, It's going to be hit and miss. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

But if you're just looking for projects, any of the magazines would
have had plenty, and it's just a matter of picking them from the
right years so they not only use tubes, but of the right vintage
tubes.

And if you can't find old magazines, you can get QST on CDROM, so
a volume of that from the right time period would supply plenty of
projects. Of course, most of the projects in the Handbook came
from QST to begin with, so it's not like you miss much in the project
department.

Of course, a lot of TV sets were AC/DC, so the filament voltages are
all over the map since you'd put them in series to run directly off
the AC line. Unless they start with "6" or "12" the tubes
may not be so useful.

Michael VE2BVW

Old December 21st 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Depending on the vintage of the tubes, you might trouble finding data on
them.

In the '60s, TV manufacturers made a lot of extra money by changing the
tube lineup every year. This required service shops to buy several sets
of new tubes every year as replacements. Typically, the innards of the
tubes were virtually identical to older ones, but with different
pinouts, filament voltages, and combinations of tubes within the
envelopes. If your tubes are from this era, you probably won't find them
in the Handbook. You might have to get one of the later RCA tube manuals
for tube information, then compare specs with various tube types used in
Handbook projects to find projects you can build with the tubes you have.

Good luck!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old December 21st 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Of course, a lot of TV sets were AC/DC, so the filament voltages are
all over the map since you'd put them in series to run directly off
the AC line. Unless they start with "6" or "12" the tubes
may not be so useful.

=============================
Being in series means they would all be used with the same filament
current which can be easily implemented with a circuit employing a 78xx
device in constant current mode (obviously in a DC environment)

Frank KN6WH / GM0CSZ

Old December 22nd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

julian814 wrote:
All right, I'm hoping someone here can clue me into finding the one(s)
I want. What I need is a handbook that has schematics for tube
equipment circa the 1960's. I have a boxful of tubes from television
sets from that era, and I was hoping I could put together a receiver
from some of them. I do have the first volume of Impoverished Radio
Experimenter, which talks about using "newer" tubes in older
schematics, but the scant few Lindsay talks about aren't among the
tubes in my box.

I've found a very good used book search engine, but unless I have a
better idea of what to look for, It's going to be hit and miss. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

I was in Powell's Technical Books the other day, they had several from
the '50s and '60s.

This link will get you several listings (and I'll get a kickback if you
buy one!). I already grabbed the 1944 issue (thank you thank you thank
you for making me look!).

http://www.powells.com/partner/30696...RRL%20Handbook

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

Old December 22nd 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Here is a site with lots of FREE books dealing with tube design. There
are old ARRL and Orr radio handbooks as well.

http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

The files are huge so you better have a high-speed (not dial-up)
internet connection.

Have fun - Roger

Old December 22nd 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

julian814 wrote:
All right, I'm hoping someone here can clue me into finding the one(s)
I want. What I need is a handbook that has schematics for tube
equipment circa the 1960's. I have a boxful of tubes from television
sets from that era, and I was hoping I could put together a receiver
from some of them. I do have the first volume of Impoverished Radio
Experimenter, which talks about using "newer" tubes in older
schematics, but the scant few Lindsay talks about aren't among the
tubes in my box.

Not sure whether this is what you're looking for but I found two sites
that seem to contain most of the tube data that was in the ARRL Handbook:

http://www.nj7p.org/Tube4.php
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old December 22nd 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Highland Ham wrote:
Being in series means they would all be used with the same filament
current which can be easily implemented with a circuit employing a 78xx
device in constant current mode (obviously in a DC environment)

Frank KN6WH / GM0CSZ

Andy adds:

That's true as long as the current requirements were the same. For
instance, putting a 12V/1amp filament in series with a 12 V/200ma
filament will not do well on 24 volts.... Just like putting a 100
watt
and a 7 watt light bulb in series across 220 volts....., (guess which
one will be the brightest, and for how long :)))) ?? )

The currents were matched in the 5 tube AC/DC radios, but generally
you have to check the filament current rating as well as the
filament voltage rating in order to do this...... It ain't rocket
surgery, but you can't put tube filaments in series indiscriminately.

Andy W4OAH

Old December 22nd 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael Black wrote:
But if you're just looking for projects, any of the magazines would
have had plenty, and it's just a matter of picking them from the
right years so they not only use tubes, but of the right vintage
tubes.

That's the real trick, isn't it? ;-)

And if you can't find old magazines, you can get QST on CDROM, so
a volume of that from the right time period would supply plenty of
projects. Of course, most of the projects in the Handbook came
from QST to begin with, so it's not like you miss much in the project
department.

Cool, I'll have to look into it.

Of course, a lot of TV sets were AC/DC, so the filament voltages are
all over the map since you'd put them in series to run directly off
the AC line. Unless they start with "6" or "12" the tubes
may not be so useful.

You're right, the voltages range anywhere from 3 to 33 volts. Two of
them are 6V6 tubes, so I have some hope there. Most of them are
miniatures, and some of them have the numbers missing, which makes
things really interesting.

Ralph

AMATEUR RADIO VOLUNTEERS FILLING COMMUNICATION GAPS IN GULF REGIONfrom today's ARRL Letter Dave Heil Policy 0 September 10th 05 03:57 AM
ARRL Admits Mistakes in Regulation By Bandwidth Proposal policy-ham Policy 3 July 20th 05 04:49 PM
ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
NEED - ARRL Handbooks SAM Homebrew 0 October 1st 03 04:43 AM