Old December 22nd 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default WTD: Flat mica capacitors

I am in need of some capacitors (600 vdc) for a homebrew 20's vintage
project and am looking for period correct parts. If you have some to sell or
know of a source , please let me know the price.

(2) .002
(2) .005
(1) .00025

Thanks ,

Charlie

Old December 22nd 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Flat mica capacitors

do you want the flat mica caps that are "bare" or the ones covered with dark
brown plastic with the little dots on them?

Old December 23rd 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:51:09 -0800, "William Noble"
wrote:

do you want the flat mica caps that are "bare" or the ones covered with dark
brown plastic with the little dots on them?

Be still my heart, I haven't seen those since I was a kid! I even knew
how to read em.

Old December 23rd 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"KC0EH" wrote in message
I am in need of some capacitors (600 vdc) for a homebrew 20's vintage
project and am looking for period correct parts. If you have some to sell
or know of a source , please let me know the price.

(2) .002
(2) .005
(1) .00025

Thanks ,

Charlie

William,
He's probably looking for the "bare" ones from that era. They look like a flat block
of phenolic with contacts riveted to each end.

Playthings of Past has boxes of them, used. (I drooled over many of the chassis that
they came from). There may even be some NOS ones available. Many of those caps were
punch stamped with the value on the metal ends, sadly many were stamped in ink on the
phenolic that faded completely over the years. You might try contacting Gary Schneider
(PTOP) to get the sizes you need. Check the website first to see if they are listed.
www.oldradioparts.com.

This is not to be confused with Mark Oppats site, www.oldradioparts.net. Both are
very valuable resources for vintage radio parts. Gary has always leaned toward battery
set parts, power transformers, and other hard to find OEM items. Mark is, of course,
The King of Kontrols,... and capacitors, ...and dials, and... Bookmark both links and
you'll have many of your radio parts needs right there at hand.

Best of luck on your project.
Old December 28th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

KC0EH wrote:
I am in need of some capacitors (600 vdc) for a homebrew 20's vintage
project and am looking for period correct parts. If you have some to sell or
know of a source , please let me know the price.

(2) .002
(2) .005
(1) .00025

Thanks ,

Charlie

You might want to consider these...
http://www.rfparts.com/caps_dippedmica.html#cd19

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old December 28th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Oh God, be careful...you're looking to BUY something on a homebrewing
newsgroup. Make sure you have zee papers when W6WRT comes jumping all
over you...

Now that I've got that out of the way...are you looking for the brown
square types with the color coded dots on top that look like one sided
dice? I have some of those things, but I'd have to dig them out and
check the values.

Scott
N0EDV

Old December 28th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article .com,
Telstar Electronics wrote:
KC0EH wrote:
I am in need of some capacitors (600 vdc) for a homebrew 20's vintage
project and am looking for period correct parts. If you have some to sell or
know of a source , please let me know the price.

(2) .002
(2) .005
(1) .00025

You might want to consider these...
http://www.rfparts.com/caps_dippedmica.html#cd19

Old issues of Hints and Kinks and also the Radio Cyclopedia have directions
on making your own mica caps, as well as paper/foil capacitors. If you
are going to homebrew it, why not do it all the way? It would be appropriate
for the time period.

With a modern DVM, doing cut-and-try work to get the values right will be
much easier than it was eighty years ago, too.
--scott