Old April 16th 07, 07:45 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Putting the Ham back into Ham Radio?

know code wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:

Why don't you rough out a plan and design a few of these "biscuits"
and publish them on a website or maybe in one of the various journals
that support the hobby.

So, not RadComic then!

Well,...Eamon Skelton ,EI9GQ is doing exactly that already..in his
HOMEBREW column in ........... RADCOM.

and George Dobbs , G3RJV has a similar column in Practical Wireless.

I am sure G4SDW knows that.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old April 16th 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 16 Apr, 19:45, Highland Ham
wrote:
know code wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:

Why don't you rough out a plan and design a few of these "biscuits"
and publish them on a website or maybe in one of the various journals
that support the hobby.

So, not RadComic then!

Well,...Eamon Skelton ,EI9GQ is doing exactly that already..in his
HOMEBREW column in ........... RADCOM.

and George Dobbs , G3RJV has a similar column in Practical Wireless.

I am sure G4SDW knows that.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

March's RadCom had a QRP transceiver with just 11 biscuits. None of
the biscuits had E numbers, and only one had silicon.

Old April 16th 07, 09:09 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Highland Ham" wrote in message

Why don't you rough out a plan and design a few of these "biscuits" and
publish them on a website or maybe in one of the various journals that
support the hobby.

Well,...Eamon Skelton ,EI9GQ is doing exactly that already..in his
HOMEBREW column in ........... RADCOM.

and George Dobbs , G3RJV has a similar column in Practical Wireless.

I am sure G4SDW knows that.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Maybe he does know it but that doesn't mean the idea is not a good one.
Truely new ideas are few and far between. I've come across it before as a
suggested way to cope with component obsolesce issues in long service life
applications- a chap I used to work with coined the idea of "tokens" (as I
recall). Basically the idea was a library of circuit building blocks that
could be assembled to make a larger circuit. If a particular part could no
longer be obtained, a new "token" could be designed with a defined interface
and functionality.

A sound idea but not an easy project. However, if Gareth can get something
rolling, maybe expanding on Eamon's and/or George's ideas, so much the
better. I'd not knock the idea, quite the converse.

So get rolling Gareth, let us see some of your ideas on the web or in Sprat,
etc.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Now your amateur licence is free, why not send at least £15 per year to
support the
Radio Communications Foundation or STELAR?

Old April 16th 07, 09:27 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 16 Apr, 21:09, "Brian Reay" wrote:

So get rolling Gareth, let us see some of your ideas on the web or in Sprat,

The seminal book "Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur" (1977) by
Haywood et al had pages of circuit snippets. I also think that PW do
boards for different radio modules. I suppose one might envisage a
sort of mother-board into which modules might be inserted to allow
different designs to be built up? I am not convinced that the idea
will go far though. It is quite easy to breadboard almost anything on
double sided pcb quickly and easily.

Old April 16th 07, 09:33 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Richard G3CWI" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 16 Apr, 21:09, "Brian Reay" wrote:

So get rolling Gareth, let us see some of your ideas on the web or in
Sprat,

The seminal book "Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur" (1977) by
Haywood et al had pages of circuit snippets. I also think that PW do
boards for different radio modules. I suppose one might envisage a
sort of mother-board into which modules might be inserted to allow
different designs to be built up? I am not convinced that the idea
will go far though. It is quite easy to breadboard almost anything on
double sided pcb quickly and easily.

True but one advantage of the "biscuit" idea is that you can build and test
them one at a time- ideal for beginners who may be put off by a complex "one
lump" project that they lack the experience to fault find etc.

Really, I think Gareth should run with this idea.

Old April 17th 07, 12:08 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

No takers for a joint effort, then?

wrote in message
I wonder if we who are the Usenet-frequenting Radio
Hams might somehow get together to sort out the
dreadful mess that has been created in no small
part by the self-interest of those who control
the RSCB?

Old April 17th 07, 12:10 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I know it now, but as I read neither BadCon
nor Practically Witless on a regular basis, I
was unaware until your post below.

Old April 17th 07, 12:10 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote in message
No takers for a joint effort, then?

Not content with being a boozer?

Old April 17th 07, 12:14 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 17 Apr, 12:08, "G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote:
No takers for a joint effort, then?

Why don't you start us off with construction details and circuit
diagrams for some of your projects, Gareth?

Maybe the Wimshurst machine and primary cells you keep telling us
about. Or those small pieces of test equipment (possibly the
multimeters and signal
generators)? Then maybe your receivers and transmitters after that?

Here's a link to some free web space: http://geocities.yahoo.com/

73
Mike G4KFK

Old April 17th 07, 12:25 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Parlez-vous Anglais?

wrote in message

the RSGB and indeed Eng herself have had (properly) little to do the
current of of the ARS

Putting the "Real" back into _REAL_ Ham Radio Polymath Homebrew 18 October 25th 05 03:21 PM
Putting the "Real" back into _REAL_ Ham Radio Polymath Policy 18 October 25th 05 03:21 PM
Putting up an Imax Buther Boy CB 16 October 24th 05 05:02 PM
Putting up an Imax Steveo Policy 0 October 19th 05 11:01 PM
Putting ARRL back "mainstream" with hometown hams KØHB Policy 163 May 22nd 05 09:51 PM